elias123

to much?

yesterday i made 5 dives, wich i think is great, i had a week that wasn't that good and those 5 jumps made me feel all good again, but someone at the dz, a guy who is becoming a good friend (cameraman with +/-1000 jumps) said that this might just be to much. i made very safe jumps, i never packed quikly to get on the next load, i just went to manifest every time when i was ready and i didn't pull low or did any manoevers that i shouldnt be doing. do you think 5 jumps on one day is to much for a student skydiver like me(physically or metally)? just curious.
thanx
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

You are the only one who can answer that question. IMHO no, 5 jumps is not too many. I look at it like this, I jump until I don't feel like jumping anymore. Some days that means 1 jump some days it means 15.

You did mention an important fact, don't sacrafice safety to get the "one last one" in take your time packing, gearing up and making sure you are both mentally and physically prepared for your skydive.

Each persons capability is different. Five jumps does not sound out of the ordinary, as long as you are not continuing to push yourself when you are beginning to feel fatigued. I usually limit my students to 3 jumps per day while they are on AFF/AFP (the first 7-8 levels/categories), but if they are doing well and appear to be positive, hydrated, and not overly fatigued I'll let them do a fourth, if they want to.
Hope this helps...
Miami

Guest 1010
If someone with a 1000 jumps at your dz says 5 jumps might be a little much, it's worth listening to them, regardless of what others here online say. No reason to think this person has anything other than your best interests at heart.

Maybe it means not doing 8 tomorrow just because you can. I did 7 at about the 35 jump level, but was wiped and only did 2 the next day.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

in reply to "do you think 5 jumps on one day is to much for a student skydiver like me(physically or metally)? "

As long as you weren't rushing and glossing over details then no worries. B|
The bustle to get as many jumps in a day as you can is a potential issue for you when you're starting out. This potential urgency to jump can interrupt the smooth absorption of information and skills. On the other hand it can be good to get some airtime up quickly.

Sometimes it's advantageuos to skydive at a reduced pace allowing yourself time to savor each jump and extract as much learning as you can . This works well if you've set some goals and have a training plan.

Sure Go Fast and jump heaps ....but don't lose that measured, in control feeling.
:)

That's kinda weak IMO... I did like 7 jumps in one day as a student, I could have done more, but my legs were bruised from the student gear and it was scorching hot outside, so I headed to the bar, lol. If you aren't tired or burned out, jump as much as you feel like/can afford. Sometimes I just do a couple other times I do a half-dozen or so. I think it takes about 2 or 3 before I start to get in a groove anyway.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I was dead tired after my first SL jump and couldn't imagine doing another jump that day - I guess that's pretty common for first jump, though :)
I did 5 jumps (level 5 -7, had to redo 5 and 6) in a day when I did AFF - the fifth jump was on the edge, but I did very well on it, all the way from takeoff to landing - and fell asleep in the car (my husband was driving) 10 minutes after we left the DZ...

I suppose I can do 8-9 jumps in a day now, if it's not too cold or warm (for packing), as long as I drink and eat enough. I tend to forget to eat real food between breakfast (8am) and dinner (8-10pm), so now I am stocking up granula bars and make a habit of having one before each jump, no matter if I have had my lunch(es) or not.

It's all up to how you feel about doing many jumps. But the more tired you are, the less you are able to learn from the jump, and you are probably less alert and less able to remember everything you should. You are not necessarily a danger to yourself or other, but chances are you'll have to redo the jump so that extra jump you wanted to squeeze in may be a bit more expensive than it should.

I once did 6 in a day as a student- my first load went up at 10am, and I was under canopy flying home on my last one at about 8pm. Felt drained at the end of the day, but I enjoyed them all and don't think I was particularly fatigued or at risk of losing my judgement. I guess I'm just going to echo what others have said and say your limit is whatever you (and your instructors) are happy with.

I was dead tired after my first SL jump and couldn't imagine doing another jump that

the fifth jump was on the edge, but I did very well on it, all the way from takeoff to landing - and fell asleep in the car (my husband was driving) 10 minutes after we left the DZ...

I totally understand this, on the day of my first jump (i just made 1 that day) i fell asleep on the train home. the same thing occured yesterday, when i was at the dz and after i had made 5 jumps, i think i could have made a sixth at the time, but an hour and a half later when i sat on the train to antwerp, where i live, i fel asleep 5 minutes after the train had left, i even almost missed my stop :)thanx for the replys here, next time i will just jump how much i want to or feel like, but i will never rush it, and i will only jump if i am not tired or exhausted and know that i will be able to perform a good skydive
blu skies
eli
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I tend to forget to eat real food between breakfast (8am) and dinner (8-10pm), so now I am stocking up granula bars and make a habit of having one before each jump, no matter if I have had my lunch(es) or not.

It's worth noting that adrenalin is an appetite suppressant - you won't feel hungry even when you should eat.

He said that because it's a general rule of thumb for AFF and SL students . . . And I beleive it's in place not so much to hold anyone back - It's so greedy DZOs don't push their Instructors and students to the limit and beyond . . .

NickD :)BASE 194