mjosparky

It's been one hell of a ride.

Sparky -

I'm sorry to hear you've decided to stop jumping (please don't refrain from commenting in the forums! you have so much knowledge and experience!). I was hoping to get a chance to jump with you again. My last jump with you was jump 28 with you and Jerry Borguin, and I remember being so excited that we'd gotten seven points on a three-way and I actually managed to stay in the formation. Thank you so much for taking the time to jump with and encourage a newbie. I am honored to have both your signature and Jerry's in my logbook.

-Kris

When it's time, it's time. There are other things in life, aren't there...

Mike, meeting up with you again after my own 22 year absence was one of the best things that's happened to me in this sport. Forgive me if I'm just a bit flustered at the moment, we're just going to miss the hell out of you.

So what's next, you off to see America from a bike or what ? Enjoy it, whatever you do next and please stay in touch with us all. (Will you be at AT Day next weekend ???)

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mr Qwens

I barly know you yet your have made a lasting impresion I realize that I'm a ignoent wind bag. You have let me feel like I was somthing more . In fact there are a few very acomplished competion jumpers that , because of my associatinon with you , have seen me in a much brighter light.

Thanks for jumping with me

Mike,

I cannot tell you how much I have appreciated your friendship, guidance, counsel, and encouragement. I feel incredibly blessed to have met you and known you personally. I will never, ever, EVER, forget the time you took to do my 100th jump with me. I will always remember landing next to you as you came over to congratulate me. Of course, I was trying to get my reserve out at 80 feet, but I digress. :D

You are a legend, as I told you when JudyJ introduced us. I read all your posts, and I look forward to you being at the dropzone after I heal up after doing all the stuff you warned me about!!!!

All kidding aside, take care of yourself, I pray every day for your health, and look forward to getting checked out as an instructor so I can do your re-currency jump!! Sorry, kidding again. We'll talk soon....

Bob Marks
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Yeah right, Mike !?!

I think you are just disillusioned about you not being a poster boy any more.

My god.........I had forgotten about that ad.
I bought a Streamlite right after that ad came out.
Ive still got it. Its yellow and black.......shows about as much wear and tear as Sparky and I do.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The cool part is, that state-of-the-art super-low-profile rig was (is) big as my new newbie Icon is now. Am I l33t?

Sparky, you don't know me, but your online presence has been a cultural influence as big as a lot of people I've met in person. Good luck with whatever you choose to fill the sunny days with now, and I sincerely hope you keep doing what you do - including DZ.com.

[edit: The new DZ.com software makes the word naming my container into a link to an ad. Don't get me wrong, I love my container a lot, but after recent accusations of being a fake account created only to advertise an AFF school I feel... weird.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Ya know Jim...

I've been 'conversing' of late via the net with Sparky, as I usually do.

Gave me a better handle on the 'how comes & what fors'...and I truly do understand.

I know we all look forward to hearing about his next endeavours.

A couple of comments he made about some things I've got going on...

Forced me to analyze and reevaluate MY motivations and commitment to the sport.

I'm not planning on hanging up the boots any time soon, but I'm a better skydiver today than I was yesterday...

The ole coot just can't HELP himself...:D

Advisor, Mentor, Teacher, LEADER...the guy just keeps on giving to the sport!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ya know....I first bumped into Sparky at the little drop zone at Victorville quite some time ago.
He was running the loft and he did me a rigging favor, that anywhere else I would have been charged for. We got to bullshitting and told some old Navy stories. I liked the guy right from the start.
Anyway.....Victorville closed and I started jumping at Elsinore.....Sparky was there quite a bit.I reconnected with him....and made some good skydives.
To walk away takes courage.
I told him this in PM....hes a good man who will be missed by this old broken up codger.

bozo

bozo

Mike,
Wow, not sure what to say, It has been fun. I have learned a lot about skydiving and life from you. I have so many happy memories of working, jumping and partying with you. I'm not sure when we met, it seem as if I have known you forever. So keep in touch, don't stop posting, stepping on toes, sticking your nose in, straight out the misinformed. Your a wealth of knowledge.I will miss seeing you around the dropzone. And when the time comes, I want to be on your "coming out of retirement load".
Best wishies,
Cary
D-11825
=====================================

"the only change I can see Is that I'm still the same"

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Yeah right, Mike !?!

I think you are just disillusioned about you not being a poster boy any more.

NICE!

What a handsome dood!!

So THAT'S why they say he gets more ass than a toilet seat at Yankee Stadium on Burrito Night!;)

Best of luck in whatever to do next Sparky, it's been a pleasure to read your posts.

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Yep, Rampturd, with Mikey hanging it up, you are now offically the LAST experienced jumper out there that's still jumping F111 AND a flat-packer!
:P

No he aint.

bozo

bozo

I have made a decision to hang up jumping

Well I don't think any of us saw this one coming. But I am completely sure in my mind that you know what you're doing. We will all miss you in the sky but don't forget us on the ground. There is only one way out of Air Trash and you ain't there yet. So remember that there will always be a place in the parking lot for you. After all, you can take the skydiver out of the air......but getting out of the parking lot is a whole new problem altogether.

Blue Skies Mike!
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

awww man, who's gonna keep Rich outta trouble, now? Or , for that matter, who's gonna watch my ass?

Thank you for 10 years of selflessness to the sport, and being a true mentor to me.

I tip my hat, and canopy to you, Michael Owens
...Sparky~!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com