micro

CH-47 Chinooks as jumpships

what is the "Jesus Nut"?

nevermind... found out what it is... the nut that holds the blades on the helicopter... and there is scripture to support it (tongue in cheek anyway)...

Col 1:17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

from a box that kinda worked as an add-on fuselage for those birds.

It's called a CONEX(Container expendable). You see them on freight trains, cargo ships and even backs of semi's all the time. As far as I know, no one is flying them recreationaly anymore. Last time I saw one used was in the filming of the movie Swordfish.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

from a box that kinda worked as an add-on fuselage for those birds.

It's called a CONEX(Container expendable). You see them on freight trains, cargo ships and even backs of semi's all the time. As far as I know, no one is flying them recreationaly anymore. Last time I saw one used was in the filming of the movie Swordfish.

Didn't SDC have one for Spring Expo year ebfore last?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

On a related note, does anybody know if there are any Sikorsky Skycranes that might still be able to drop jumpers? I remember some older Army aviators mentioning dropping jumpers from a box that kinda worked as an add-on fuselage for those birds.

Lance

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ask Ericson Skycrane or Evergreen Helicopters. Both companies used to use Sikorsky Skycranes for heli-logging, water-bombing (with a Bambi Bucket) and ... oh! ... construction cranes (like lifting the antenna to the top of the CN Tower in Toronto).

Sikorsky built a smooth-skinned cargo pod for the Skycrane, which could be configured for cargo, passengers, medical, etc.
The original idea was to install a field hospital in a container, heli-lift it somewhere for a few weeks, then retrieve it by Skycrane after the battle/flood/earthquake subsided.
Don Holmes has some amusing stories about his Nevada (?) National Guard Special Forces unit doing refresher jumps from Skycranes.

Erickson Skycrane was the company used for the Swordfish movie. I can't get to their web site right now for some reason http://www.erickson-aircrane.com/ A Google brings up plenty of pics and history on this airframe.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yes, I made a few freefall jumps form Canadian Army Chinooks back in 1981.
The cabin was huge and tall enough for me to stand upright furthermore the ramp was plenty wide enough to launch 4-ways, maybe even 6-ways.
Even the A models climbed plenty fast enough to 10,000'. They were rather slow on jump run. I remember diving off the ramp and holding my frog position - while straight head-down (90 degrees to the horizon) for about 5 seconds before I got enough airspeed to start tacking towards the base of our bellytive work formation.
It was weird for this old Sikorsky technician to sit with his back against the cockpit bulkhead and watch the entire fuselage twist with every rotation of the rotors. That had to be one huge case of metal fatigue in flight.
Unfortunately, the Canadian Forces hastily sold all their Chinooks - to the Dutch - in the mid-1980s. ... something to do with them coming up on an expensive overhaul.
Now that Canadian soldiers routinely borrow American and British and Dutch Chinooks in Afghanistan, the rumor is that the Canadian Armed Forces are seriously considering getting back into the Chinook business. They just don't want to buy back the same A models that they sold to the Dutch.
Apparently D models work better at the mountain elevations in Afghanistan.
Speaking of Afghanistan, I am curious about how much of a load CH-47Ds can lift off an Afghani ridgeline 10,000 or 15,000' above sea level?
Also, how high can they hover in cold, thin, Afghani air?

I am curious about how much of a load CH-47Ds can lift off an Afghani ridgeline 10,000 or 15,000' above sea level?

Take a look at the photos I posted. Almost all of them were shot at no lower than 8K ASL
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am curious about how much of a load CH-47Ds can lift off an Afghani ridgeline 10,000 or 15,000' above sea level?

Take a look at the photos I posted. Almost all of them were shot at no lower than 8K ASL

nice 'stache in that first photo. doesn't make you look so youth-like. ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...