xlh883

Discipline progression

Hi all.

Having jsut past my AFF course and soon to have my A license, a question has come into mind. My instructors told me I will probably pretty quickly choose a discipline to go into. I rtealize that I will msot likely be bellyflying for quite a while until I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Question is this: What do people normally transition into for a discipline next? Freeflying seems a little complex.

David

A major advantage to sticking with belly work for a while before moving into freeflying is that you get to work on critical in-air awareness and breakoff skills at the much slower speeds of belly flying. Those are the skills that are going to keep you alive regardless of whether you ever get good enough to turn a bunch of points.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Pick a few... Mix it up...

This is coming from a guy who cannot freefly worth crap and has spent all my money and energy on RW/Belly skills, which allowed me to pass my AFF instructor rating course pretty darn easily, whereas my freefly friends struggled a bit more...

So, if you want to be a coach or instructor, you might want to stay in the RW world for a while... If you want to jump with anyone at the DZ - you might want to try freefly and RW/Belly...

You know, you can freefly and belly fly in the same day with the same rig and same friends... Your shoes will not catch on fire just because they are oriented differently...

But - there is something to be said about spending energy on one discipline for a while and mastering it...

My instructors told me I will probably pretty quickly choose a discipline to go into.

Yup, you will...and you better.

There's two of them you have to get good at quickly.

1. Be safe
2. Have fun

The rest of the stuff, RW, FF, CReW, whatever they make up next, will come with time and a bit of playing around. You'll find what you like and you'll find that you'll have learned a bit while playing around. If you find something you like and latch onto it, get coaching, it'll make you better, faster. Beyond that, stick to the first two items and you'll be good to go.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't just focus on the freefall disciplines, learning canopy control is a lifesaver ad adding some crw and accuracy can only be good for you ;)

Now there's some good advice! xlh883, Whatever freefall discipline you are trying out, you will always have the canopy ride (hopefully! ;)) - don't do what too many people do and just use it to get you on the ground without breaking anything. Get some coaching and use those canopy rides to practice:

Awareness of those around you
Good disciplined landing drills
A safe and consistent landing pattern
A planned flight path (helps accuracy)
Use of risers and brakes to extend or decrease range

And lots of other good things too. You can still play with FS or FF at the same time - the canopy ride is a freebie so use it too! :P

Canopy coaching is not only a life saver, it can be a lot of fun too! :)B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hi all.

Having jsut past my AFF course and soon to have my A license, a question has come into mind. My instructors told me I will probably pretty quickly choose a discipline to go into. I rtealize that I will msot likely be bellyflying for quite a while until I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Question is this: What do people normally transition into for a discipline next? Freeflying seems a little complex.

Hi buddy,

I've jumping for a year, have 80 skydives and I have already chosen a discipline, FF. To be honest I had it in mind right since the very beginning that I've started jumping but waited until I had about 65 jumps and 2 hours of wind tunnel improving my belly skills. It's a very good idea to learn first RW/belly until you are comfortable as in FF all happens faster than in your belly. With regards to been more complex I can tell you from my very fresh experience how I felt when I've been trying to learn how to sit-fly (I can only get into a stable sit position, nothing else, no forwards or backwards). First one of my mates, who is a FF coach :P , taught me how to back fly, did 7-8 jumps together to see how I was doing it and from there it only took me one go to get into a sit position. I personally didn't see it that hard but I've just started FFing. It was more difficult for me to be able to learn how to control my fall rate level in my belly, what is very important if you are going to get into RW, than getting into a sit position which is already a FF manoeuvre.
About the canopy piloting course that it's a great idea :ph34r: To get B license in the UK you need to show some skills under your canopy and do 5 consecutive pre-declared landings with a 90sq feet area. I'm going to get done in about a month a canopy flying course as well.As somone else said, whatever you do you always going to find yourself under a canopy.

Hope this helps :)
Blue ones

I agree with what was stated above, I am just starting to FF cuz I find it fun and entertaining but I also find Belly a lot of fun, I have done 100+ jumps on my belly and it enabled me to pick up freeflying a little faster i think. Simply cuz i was able to figure out what my body was doing or what it wasn't. I would say do what you want but I really enjoy the ema atmosphere of belly and the fact that it moves slower and you can jump with larger numbers of people on a consistant basis. But damn freeflying is cool as shit. so clearly i am torn.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama