Saw

Freefall with glasses?

Greetings everyone,

I've done done my 1st tandem last week end (Haven't been functioning properly since... but that is off topic now , saying I loved it would be an understatement ;)). Anyway... when the chute opened, the instructor let me steer the beast a little, and told me at one point to point towards the DZ... I couldn't see it. I guess that it's hard to recognise landmarks in the air when you're not used to it... but another question came to me this week (Ok, admitedly, this is question #1 of 9999999): I have a pretty poor eyesight, suffer from astygmatism (sp?) and hypermetropy.

So, I take it to fully enjoy the ride, it would be best if I could actualy see something :ph34r:

I'll be doing my next tandem on the 25th (Planning to go for the SL training after that, but timing was off). Will I (In the future) be able to jump with my regular glasses underneath the other ones... or will I have to buy an extra set that fits with a cord or something?

Join me in my "no clouds" petition!

Will I (In the future) be able to jump with my regular glasses underneath the other ones... or will I have to buy an extra set that fits with a cord or something?

That's what I'm doing since about 190 jumps: wearing my glasses under the goggles. Just pay attention these goggles fit very very well and are tightened properly!
:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

They make goggles that fit over your classes. I did that for about 90 jumps. I didn't like how the goggles were squishing my glasses against my faced so I went and got contacts (best idea). With contacts you have any choice you want with regards to styles of goggles.

AHA! It looks like I've got quite a few options! I'll check with the instructor if I can keep my glasses underneath the goggles on the next jump. In the future, I might go for them sporty glasses that'll (hopefully) make me look sexy.

Tried lenses a year ago, but I have to wear rigid ones (4/20 in the left eye)... and they drove me crazy after a few hours.

Thank you!

Join me in my "no clouds" petition!

Greetings everyone,

I've done done my 1st tandem last week end (Haven't been functioning properly since... but that is off topic now , saying I loved it would be an understatement ;)). Anyway... when the chute opened, the instructor let me steer the beast a little, and told me at one point to point towards the DZ... I couldn't see it. I guess that it's hard to recognise landmarks in the air when you're not used to it... but another question came to me this week (Ok, admitedly, this is question #1 of 9999999): I have a pretty poor eyesight, suffer from astygmatism (sp?) and hypermetropy.

So, I take it to fully enjoy the ride, it would be best if I could actualy see something :ph34r:

I'll be doing my next tandem on the 25th (Planning to go for the SL training after that, but timing was off). Will I (In the future) be able to jump with my regular glasses underneath the other ones... or will I have to buy an extra set that fits with a cord or something?

I have the same eye defects as you.

I wear my everyday prescription glasses while jumping and I wear goggles that fit over them. they are made by Flex-Z and are quite comfortable.

Ive tried various prescription goggles and they all have the same problem and that is that they mess up my depth perception which usually manifests in some not-so-good landings.

I just stick with my over the glasses goggles and I see fine and land fine.
the only downside is that you wont be one of the cool people with the most stylish gear ;)
__

My mighty steed

Depends on what your eyes need. I tried with contacts but, impossible for me as I need special shape giving grinding due to corneal irregularity. This cannot be done on contacts (anyhow for my requirements, which additionally are for near, far, medium distance.... :S - I did not know until I started jumping)!

But, I agree: Contacts, if possible, are the better solution. For this, you should never forget to close the little "vent holes" in the googles by using adhesive tape.

Original poster has to find out his personal "eye"situation.
Could really be essential!

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

since skydiving is such a visual sport,,, sure.. it seems like a good idea to be able to see well... you don't wanna miss anything :)for a long time I have been jumping with my prescription eyeglasses , without goggles... Really.
I wear glasses all the time and for a while had "goggle" style frames,,, so the lenses have been big, and with a RELIABLE elastic strap, correctly tightened,, they stay in place very well..I have always had lenses which darken in the sunlight and so they work well for skydiving..
I don't seem to be affected by "wind in my eyes" even though the glasses are not solidly tight to my face... But the frames are,, and with a helmet, they stay with me just fine...
I never liked wearing goggles under canopy...
Do you wear prescription glasses??? if you do I'd say you should wear them,, goggles over them, if that's what your instructors recommend.. again so you can really enjoy the view... As for locating the DZ ??? :);)B|, don't worry about it... that , like everything else, comes with time...
you're doing just FINEB|, if you can locate the ground !!!. Your instructor should take care of the rest...;)

Welcome. There are a number of threads dealing with glasses only vs. glasses-under-goggles vs. contacts-under-goggles vs. prescription sports goggles. Do a search (use the search button on the toolbar) & you'll see the whole spectrum of opinions.

Personally: I don't like the feel of glasses under goggles, and contacts under goggles will sometimes pop out. When eyeglass styles were larger, I used to use my own regular glasses or prescription sunglasses held on with a sports strap; but since styles have gotten a lot smaller, that no longer works. I've gone the "prescription sports goggles" route, and that works great for me, so that's what I recommend to others. (As usual, YMMV)

Will I (In the future) be able to jump with my regular glasses underneath the other ones... or will I have to buy an extra set that fits with a cord or something?

I've only got about 45 jumps, but all of them have been with my regular eyeglasses under goggles. I used the DZ's over-the-glasses goggles for the first few jumps, then bought my own pair of Flex-Z over-the-glasses goggles and they seem to work OK.

There is a little bit of a trick to coordinating the glasses, goggles, and helmet - basically you are trying not to get the helmet to push the goggles around to where they are pushing on your glasses in a weird way. It sounds a lot worse than it is - if you spend a few minutes on the ground playing with it, you'll quickly figure out what you need to do to be comfortable. Once you think you've found a good setup, be sure to turn your head, look up and down, etc to make sure it works for all of the various positions your head needs to be in.

If you just want to get familiar with what the dropzone looks like from the air, the DZ probably has an aerial photo of it that they will show you during your training. You might also find photos on a Web site; Google Maps doesn't have very good pictures of Wiltz, but perhaps another site does.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I've done 23 jumps now in my SportRX goggles and I swear by them.

The only PITA is having to carry a glasses case around my neck so that I can swap my glasses for my goggles before getting out. The goggles aren't great for the ride to altitude because the planes I've been in are normally fairly cozy, and the goggles mist up. They also suck for walking back to the packing area for the same reason. I ended up walking into the wrong hangar in Lodi on one of my hike-backs out there, so now I keep the glasses around !

I'm going to buy a jump suit soon, so hopefully they can build me a pouch.

Is Lasik an option? I went through several sets of glasses, contacts, etc. I finally went back to jumping without lenses. One day I shelled out for Lasik and it was the greatest gift I've ever given myself.

I got Lasik before I ever started jumping, and I'll agree. It's one of the best things I ever did, along with moving to NYC and doing my first jump course.