Linas120

Losing wedding ring in freefall?

Hey, at least that guy's got most of the meat still on the finger. In A&P school we were shown much worse pictures to drive the point home. It freaks me out that some of my coworkers still wear rings. I don't understand why they do it.:S

Matt

I think we were shown the same pics you were shown in your A&P class...couldn't find the one that's REALLY bad...but I'm not a pro internet guru either. The one I posted is bad enough to convince me not to jump from aircraft with rings exposed.

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

I am just wondering - has anyone here actually lost your wedding ring during freefall or canopy ride? :o How it happened? :S

Ten years ago my S/L instructor in Russia told us a story about someone who was jumping with wedding ring. The ring had a big diamond on it, which made it a perfect snag point. During deployment a suspension line wrapped around the diamond, and cut his finger off.

Next jump EVERYBODY removed all the rings they had - even the "non-removable" rings as they said before.

For me it is simple though, as I never wear any jewelry, so we decided not to buy wedding rings at all for our wedding.

same here. I hate rings etc so just said I don't want one. If I did have one, I'd take it off to jump.

rm

I've heard of people actually having a really small section (say half a millimeter) of their ring in pure gold, so that the ring would break before their finger.

Skydiving or not, I think I'll get such a ring if I ever have to wear one.
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

I've heard of people actually having a really small section (say half a millimeter) of their ring in pure gold, so that the ring would break before their finger.

watch the attachment above, do you think the ring could prevent having your meat ripped off ??

Avoid rings for manual activities.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If the ring breaks at a force below the meat-ripping force... yes.

If it is possible or practical to do/have such a ring? I don't know.
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."

If the ring breaks at a force below the meat-ripping force... yes.

If it is possible or practical to do/have such a ring? I don't know.

polystyrene ring ? :P

Whatever... just DON'T. Aynways I'm no medic/1st aid or anything, so I won't have to deal with it.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

On a chain.

Round my neck.

Like a hobbit.

I know of only one guy who's ring came off. It was still on the split-pin in the door, along with his finger and a good chunk of sinew like dried snot on the side of the plane.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Do you really think any kind of metal is going to break before you lose a finger? I don't think so.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Do you really think any kind of metal is going to break before you lose a finger? I don't think so.

I don't *know*, but I do think that it is possible.
Pure gold is quite soft, as is plumb or tin.

There is an interesting article about issues with rings:
http://www.securiteconso.org/notice510.html?id_article=510

See IV.2. in this article.

An incision is made in the ring, a tiny part is hollowed out and then it is welded peripherally
o Ring coring, the cored out substance is replaced in the hollow, two or three points are laser welded and polished. Coring size depends on alloy, ring width and thickness so that ring fractures at traction of less than 350 N.

Once properly calibrated, only the second of the two procedures effectively guarantees that ring will open before reaching the serious injury threshold, every time.

It continues saying that it's not very practical, some rings break when they don't have to, the tuning is difficult...

But I think my aunt has a pure gold part in her ring so it would break.

It mentions also traction forces at wich some metals would break.

It is only one article, but I don't have time to search further, I have to go to the DZ ;)

Lost my first one rock climbing at the same park we were married at almost 1 year to the day we were married. I had a backup ring.
Then I went to Oregon and lost it on a quick 2 way dock. The other jumper was wondering what the heck I was doing. I was watching my ring go up. Or was I falling away from it.
Anyways, no one found it on the next jump, I asked if anyone had seen it.

Coring size depends on alloy, ring width and thickness so that ring fractures at traction of less than 350 N.

350 Newtons is around 78 pounds. That is one hell of a lot of traction when applied to one finger.

I think it would be much smarter and cheaper to leave the ring on the ground.

I'm envisioning this...

So if the ring gets caught on something and starts pulling, but has this engineered weak spot, it tears at skin and meat, forces probably reach 78 lbs when the meat bunches up at a knuckle. The weak spot then breaks, leaving the ring still mostly circular but with two sharp, jagged open ends. The pulling forces open the ring up, dragging the jagged ends over the already lacerated finger.

Doesn't sound like fun. Maybe a better idea would be to leave the jewelry at home.

Matt

Most of the time I'm not even aware of my wedding ring. I can't get it off for trying, so I don't worry about it coming off. I suppose a ring could rip my finger off, but I also consider the possibility about as remote as monkies flying out my butt.

Most of the year I wear gloves, except for thhe very hot So. Cal summertime. But gloves in general are a good idea, as without them you will get all kinds of "mystery" cuts and abrasions, the kind that you have no idea how or when they happened.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I suppose a ring could rip my finger off, but I also consider the possibility about as remote as monkies flying out my butt.

Tom,

Maybe I spent too much time as a Firefighter, but trust me, it does happen a lot.
[:/]

I would say the finger in this picture did not happen with full body weight or high speed. But I bet it hurt like hell.:S