airfury17

PATCHES!!!!!

ok so I am a little new to the jumping world. but I do love Belly stuff and 4-ways. My question is I have a bunch of cool patches like alitmaster and go fast and stuff. should I sow them onto my jumpsuit or is that lame? I do like the way some of the pros and jumpers have patches and I want them, but i didnt know if its only for sposored people. lemme know what you think!

-jeff-

Example is the picture with that guy

Well that guy is wearing patches because he's sponsored by all of those companies.

In my green opinion, it comes down to what you want. Want to have patches on your jumpsuit? Sure, go for it. Some people put stickers on their helmets, some people get pink jumpsuits, you can be the patch guy. Just be sure to put a "Type R" badge on there somewhere.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

It's called "Brand Loyalty." You have a rig made by X company, you feel loyal to them. Same with canopies, altimeters, helmets, AAD's, jump suits, etc.

We pay a ton of money for our gear and we're proud of what we jump. What's wrong with that?

Personally, I'm waiting until I have a "decent" jumpsuit that 100 people before me haven't jumped & sweat all over before I sew any patches. But when I get one, the patches are going on. ;)

It's the same with those "sexy" jean jackets we wore in the 80's with Jack Daniels & Metallica patches sewn on them. You mean to tell me you never owned a Panama Jack shirt or some other item that displayed a brand? :D They are a small way to identify who we are. They don't define us, but we are proud of what we do, where we jump, and who makes our gear.

Nothing wrong with that. I guess you don't have anything skydiving related hung on your walls or anything like that. You're too cool for all that... :P:)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

In my first year of skydiving I wanted to have patches all over the suit as I wanted to look like a pro:$

Luckily I never actually put them on because there's nothing more stupid that a newbie trying to look like a pro and smashing himself in on landing most of the times.

Gives a lot of people a good start to making jokes;)

Today I still have no patches on but keep them for fixing holes in the suit because it looks better than using tape.

But as mentioned before: Your suit, your patches, your call!

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

I have one suit that has patches, two that don't. Depends on what I'm doing that day.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Its your jumpsuit and your patches, do what you want.

for sure. decades ago patches and jumpsuits went together well...;) there should be a museum
display of the huge variety that have come and gone. (certain gear catalogs still have a page or two, of available samples)

airfury 17
can you
find another way to display yours besides on a jumpsuit?.. gear bags, a pair of old jeans, a jean jacket???.. a cool or a subtle skydiving patch, which reflects a part of your life/personality which is important to you should be displayed with some degree of pride... so go for it. I think a patch on an article of clothing would look better than say, a closing pin necklace...but that's just IMHOB|;):)
30 yrs ago,,, almost before closing pins were invented, i had a pair of jeans with maybe a dozen various patches, many of them significant to me,,,SCS, college nationals'74 in DeLand, jumpmaster patch...They were perfect for the DZ..B|
To Bad[:/] I "outgrew them"..;):)what's important here airfury17, is that you have a good level of enthusiam about our sport...
have fun, skydive safely.
jmy A3914 D12122

It's called "Brand Loyalty." You have a rig made by X company, you feel loyal to them. Same with canopies, altimeters, helmets, AAD's, jump suits, etc.

We pay a ton of money for our gear and we're proud of what we jump. What's wrong with that?

Personally, I'm waiting until I have a "decent" jumpsuit that 100 people before me haven't jumped & sweat all over before I sew any patches. But when I get one, the patches are going on. ;)

It's the same with those "sexy" jean jackets we wore in the 80's with Jack Daniels & Metallica patches sewn on them. You mean to tell me you never owned a Panama Jack shirt or some other item that displayed a brand? :D They are a small way to identify who we are. They don't define us, but we are proud of what we do, where we jump, and who makes our gear.

Nothing wrong with that. I guess you don't have anything skydiving related hung on your walls or anything like that. You're too cool for all that... :P:)

What have my walls got to do with wishing to look like a walking billboard for some company? You are confused.

I agree with a previous poster - a newbie trying to look like a pro just looks silly. Get good enough first, and then the company will pay for your gear.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi, Jeff. welcome to the brotherhood. My recomendation on your patch issue is to put them on your gearbag. If you're like me, you'll collect a LOT of patches during your jumping carreer. After several years, some of them will become collector's items of a sort. ie - they'll be no longer sold. Since you'll have to change jumpsuits every few years because they wear out, or you join a team, or you may change disciplines and require a new one, you'll evenutally lose all those patches. But it's a good bet you'll have your gear bag for many years and many iterations of jumpsuits and containers.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

In my first year of skydiving I wanted to have patches all over the suit as I wanted to look like a pro

Luckily I never actually put them on because there's nothing more stupid that a newbie trying to look like a pro and smashing himself in on landing most of the times.

[:/]I guess I better rip off all those patches on my WT suit that wuffos gave me while out there[:/]
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

But it's a good bet you'll have your gear bag for many years

I always thought patches on my suit would be a bit lame at my numbers and it's definitely cooler having them on my bag. My golden rule is that I only ever have patches that are relevant to me. I would feel pretty lame having a head down patch or a katana patch as I can barely fly head-up and would doubtless femur if I tried to jump a katana. Whenever I get given patches I don't want I just pass them on. I've put a picture of my gear bag on so you can see what I mean (and because I love it!).

The top left is from my university skydiving days - I designed the patch and was president of the club in my final year. I have a patch from Ringwood brewery because I love their beer and have had a barrel of Ringwood best at a couple of my parties. The union jack one is pretty obvious and I do in fact drive a mini cooper - an old school one of course ;) There's also one for Hibaldstow, which is my local DZ where I learnt to skydive and have done most of my jumps (from 15k B| )

The two at the bottom are also favourites - I did my first CReW jumps a few weeks ago at a coaching roadshow and we built an 8-stack on Sunday. The BPA awards those patches to people who have built a 4/8 stack and they will be in pride of place once I get round to sewing them on!

I actually blagged my gear bag from the sports office at the uni. I was in there sorting out minibus hire for a DZ trip and they were going to throw it out as it had been lying around for a couple of years without an owner. I thought it looked rig-sized and it sure was, so I got a gear bag for my favourite price... It has proper back support and a hip strap unlike most skydiving specific bags so is good if I ever have to walk further than the car park with it. Plus it takes my rig, helmet, two jumpsuits, three pairs of gloves, video tape, log book, three pairs of goggles, two audibles, bungees, pullups, and other random crap including a nurses garter and a pair of novelty y-fronts. DZ parties - don't ask :P It's fair to say that my gear bag has more sentimental value than my rig - and I know which will be with me for longer.

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

I never understood the desire of people to be walking unpaid advertisements for companies.

My company makes a ridiculous amount of money convincing people to be unpaid advertisements for my clients. :)

I never understood the desire of people to be walking unpaid advertisements for companies.

My company makes a ridiculous amount of money convincing people to be unpaid advertisements for my clients. :)

I expect you laugh all the way to the bank.;)

You are confused.

I don't refute that. :P

If there were a "kallend" patch, I would probably wear it. :)

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

I like patches. They cover the grass stains very nicely. :D:$

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

You are confused.

I don't refute that. :P

If there were a "kallend" patch, I would probably wear it. :)

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

I like patches. They cover the grass stains very nicely. :D:$

Well, a "Kallend" patch wouldn't be advertizing someone's product, would it? Neither does a team patch, a POPS patch, etc. However, the patches referred to in the original post were all advertisements, and all I have said is I don't understand why anyone wants to look like a walking advertisement unless they get paid to do it.

Plus [my gear bag] takes my rig, helmet, two jumpsuits, three pairs of gloves, video tape, log book, three pairs of goggles, two audibles, bungees, pullups, and other random crap including a nurses garter and a pair of novelty y-fronts.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Whitewright with all that stuff.

Real content: I don't own any patch-suitable gear yet, so I haven't put patches on anything. Stickers seem to be popular, though. At Eloy there were bumper stickers from lots of dropzones all over the inside of the building that manifest was in. The 182 at my home DZ has all kinds of stickers on the inside: Rolling Stones, USPA, Mirage, various radio and TV stations, a couple of DZs, a rather beat WFFC 199x sticker, RWS, Alti-2, etc.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Well, a "Kallend" patch wouldn't be advertizing someone's product, would it?***

No it wouldn't, but it would be showing loyalty to a particular area of science. And if we're into physics we should wear it with pride, right?

I subject myself to physical laws everytime I jump, so I almost feel like I'm already sponsored. Where can I get one?:D

Well, a "Kallend" patch wouldn't be advertizing someone's product, would it?***

No it wouldn't, but it would be showing loyalty to a particular area of science. And if we're into physics we should wear it with pride, right?

I subject myself to physical laws everytime I jump, so I almost feel like I'm already sponsored. Where can I get one?:D

You can get a Freak Brother patch at Para Concepts. That's the closest I can find.

Speaking of Freak Brother..................For some one that got me my FB number and listed on the website, shouldn't it be your responsibility to get me a FB patch;)

For those of you that want a Kallend patch, see if you can make some thing from the attached picture.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey