boags

Max Wing Loading on a SABRE 150?

Im currently jumping my SABRE 150 at a wing loading of 1.4>:( (33 jumps on this canopy). Is this too high?[:/] How high can i go on a SABRE 150 before its too much?
My landings are fun doing short turf surfs(5-7m) with no turns or front risers needed to build up speed:)
My turns are wickedly fast to the point im in pain from the leg harness digging in(But its fun so i keep doing it at height). But i think thats more from the sabre smack on opening still hurting when i do my turns. (would my opening be harder as well due to the high wing loading) Any tips for a slow opening. I normally only do a trash pack so i guess that serves myself right:( My DZ also has a lot of turbulence in the summer so im thinking the high loading will help me out as well?

What are your ideas on my situation?[:/]

What are your ideas on my situation?

Scary.

You've got a healthy wingloading on a semi-small canopy at low jump numbers as well as just getting back in the sport after over 2 years of not jumping.

[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have never really had a problem landing my canopy safely but my acc could be better. But thought i would work out my wing loading for fun. Yikes is what i thouhgt too when i found out what it was. I have landed it down wind in 15 to 20 knots. had off DZ landings due to poor spots jumped in high winds, landed cross wind. Havent hurt myself yet i feel happy with this canopy but unhappy with myself now that i look at my wing loading.

Havent hurt myself yet ***[:/]

I hope you never have to change this line.... nothing against you, but your bag of tricks isnt very full and just one silly mistake can get you injured or killed...
1.4 is an aggressive wingloading, the person who sold you this should get the asshat of the year award.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

dude for someone who is returning from 2.5 years of not jumping, your wingloading is high for your experience level and currency ( I am assuming that you dont have that many jumps since your return, I might be wrong).

Tips for a non slammer opening on a sabre... sell it and buy a spectre.

>My landings are fun doing short turf surfs(5-7m) with no turns or front risers needed to build up speed

I don't think that is fun. Its fun to "make" the canopy go fast... as fast as it possibly can go. I get a big smile on my face when I nail a 90 degree carve (exactly 90, no more, no less or I didn't do what I intended) on my Sabre2 190 (~1.25) because I made it do that. I really have to lift up a leg and push forward in the harness, and have my setup spot on. For me, building my skill in this one particular area of canopy flight is something that I really enjoy.

Driving a ferrari to work doesn't require skill, having a consistantly low lap time on a go cart does.

>I normally only do a trash pack
Hey, if it works for you, do it. If it doesn't work, do that too... its your canopy.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Im currently jumping my SABRE 150 at a wing loading of 1.4>:( (33 jumps on this canopy). Is this too high?[:/] How high can i go on a SABRE 150 before its too much?

About 1.0 at your experience level. A Sabre 210 would be ideal.

My DZ also has a lot of turbulence in the summer so im thinking the high loading will help me out as well?

You'll feel turbulence less but hit the ground much harder when you do get a sudden down-draft.

You'll feel turbulence less but hit the ground much harder when you do get a sudden down-draft

There's a piece of me that wonders if we should go ahead and move this thread to Incidents.

Except, of course, he might get lucky. But it would be luck, because with 53 jumps and uncurrent, it's not likely to be all skill and experience.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

> Is this too high?

Yes.

>Unsure How high can i go on a SABRE 150 before its too much?

If you cannot:
flat turn at least 90 degrees at 50 feet
flare turn at least 45 degrees
land in a 10 meter circle reliably
land in no wind and crosswind

Then your loading is too high. Upsize until you can do those things; then you will be ready for a smaller canopy.

>(would my opening be harder as well due to the high wing loading)

No.

>My DZ also has a lot of turbulence in the summer so im thinking the high
>loading will help me out as well?

No. Going to a high wingloading that you can't flat/flare turn will kill you if turbulence ever suddenly turns your canopy 45 degrees at a low altitude on final, and points you towards a hazard. Until you can recover from that without just pulling one toggle down, stick to larger canopies that will not hurt you as badly when you do that.

>What are your ideas on my situation?

Upsize immediately to something like a Triathalon 190/220 and get canopy coaching. Once you're comfortable on the larger canopies begin working back down.

Thanks for all of your views. It makes me respect my situation with great care. I realise that im jumping a weapon (for my experience)and i have been getting canopy coaching and will continue to do so. But i have always liked being in over my head in all aspects of life. "High pressure, knowing there is danger close by makes people perform at there best!";)

Being in over your head is one thing, but what you may not yet realize is that you are not just a danger to yourself (which you sadly accept), but that you're also a potential danger to others.[:/]
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>"High pressure, knowing there is danger close by makes people
>perform at there best!"

I have spoken to several people who could not learn to safely land their canopies until they upsized, learned to fly them properly, then downsized again. One of these people came in first in a recent PST event. So in many cases, jumping a high risk canopy makes you a poorer skydiver (at least until you get the training on how to fly a larger canopy.)