Dumpster

Any RECENT hassles travelling with a rig?? (USA)

Haven't traveled with rig since then, but from what I am hearing, the experience you are likely to have (at least in the US) is similar to the pre-new-alert situation: expect anything.

I've traveled with mine a lot through a bunch of different airports. Just some examples from airports I've gone through multiple times: Seattle never even seems to notice I have a rig. Atlanta's reaction has varied from no response to a simple rescreening/swabbing to "ma'am we'll need to pat you down and reinspect all your other stuff since you're carrying a parachute." Boston is usually overzealous but ultimately friendly. Oakland is all over the place and usually NOT friendly.

Don't have experience with Chicago, but having traveled through the same airports multiple times, I can say that experiences are inconsistent even within the same airport. With the amount of turnover in TSA, it's just a crapshoot whether you'll get someone who's seen a rig before. If you're lucky, when they call over the supervisor, you'll get a supervisor who says to the screener "Yeah, so what? They're legal.":D

As always, have all your paperwork with you, be polite, courteous, and keep bumping it up the food chain if you have hassles.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Getting back into the USA last week from Asia was a seriously big hassle at LAX. Flew SIA from Chiangi to LAX, zero hassles in Malaysia or Singapore (skydiving and other aerial sports are illegal in Singapore) but on arrival at LAX, customs opened the hard case containing rig, etc, and waved it thru. TSA at LAX international terminal wanted me to pop the rig open, and wanted to see inside the reserve area. I asked for a supervisor, who then brought over another TSA person, who then found someone in their organization who was a skydiver, who then explained to them what the reserve seal was for, and that they'd be costing me money if they popped the seal. The guy asked if I was a rigger, and I explained I wasn't. Thank god he didn't tell them what the Cypres was for or that it contained an explosive charge. It was good that the TSA supervisor knew to call someone who knew a skydiver.
It *might* have been easier if I'd been carrying my rig onboard, frankly.
Ultimately, I only had to pull the closing pin to show the Dbag and lines, but the whole fiasco took over an hour, which made me nearly miss my flight home from LAX, and caused my bag to miss the flight home. So much for Homeland security mandates that "your bags must be on the flight with you."
Calm and nice is critical, and for me, this is like soothing a cat with a firecracker taped to his tail. I'm not the calm sort when I'm trying to get from terminal 3 to terminal 8. But, if these guys sense anything but smooth, calm, and collected and unworried, be prepared for difficulty.

Oh, and don't wear a gel bra. :-) I felt very badly for a woman in front of me, TSA at LAX are less than diplomatic.

Just got back from traveling through Spokane, Portland, Oakland and SFO. I had one rig checked and one as carry on in rolly case. Almost always a supervisor was called over. Each time had to open the carry on to get it swabbed. Twice they sent each though separately. I wrap my chest strap through the cutaway handle to hold it in place in case a screener wants to lift the rig out of the case. I have found that once the person at the X ray machine has that look of confusion on their face, I tell them what it is. It makes it easier to start the process of secondary screening. Once they start, I do my best to show them the Vigil xray card and explain what they are seeing when they re xray the gear. I have had good luck in doing this and even a couple supervisors thank me for helping train their staff. Having that helpful attitude really makes a difference. Get to the airport with extra time so that you aren't in a hurry if the screening takes a long time. Yes it's a pain, but TSA is only doing their job.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Got my x-ray cards and TSA letter in hand, yep! I've found that trying to be co=operative and helpful is good in many situations - Thanks to all for the input - Seems like there hasn't been much change from the "norm" - (whatever that is!!)

Easy Does It

This past weekend I traveled from LGA (LaGuardia in NYC) to MYR (Myrtle Beach) and then back without any problems. I did carry on and had the paperwork with me but they didn't even ask for a swab or closer look. Fails to give me the warm cozzy feeling that I am safe.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

This past weekend I traveled from LGA (LaGuardia in NYC) to MYR (Myrtle Beach) and then back without any problems. I did carry on and had the paperwork with me but they didn't even ask for a swab or closer look. Fails to give me the warm cozzy feeling that I am safe.

Least it wasn't a hassle - Who knows, the screener you went past may have one of the few who have seen a bunch of rigs go through- (turnover at O'Hare is pretty high so I hear-)

I still feel like the "enemy" is winning, because thier B.S. is costing us taxpayers tall cash and a few of us are actually scared. (Pesonally, I resent paying for the TSA/Homeland Security crap and refuse to let the "terrorists" intimidate me-).

But not to let this thread head towards S/C - - -

Easy Does It

Haven't traveled with rig since then, but from what I am hearing, the experience you are likely to have (at least in the US) is similar to the pre-new-alert situation: expect anything.

What the other ridiculously frequent flier on DZ said.

Travelled via SJC and PDX last weekend.
In SJC I took my rig as a carry-on. They put it through machine twice, then asked me what's inside, asked me to open the bag, picked up the unpacked pilot chute (had to leave it unpacked or rig wouldn't fit to the bag), asked what's it for and why it's there, took a look on it from different sides, and told me everything is ok, and I can pass.

In PDX I checked it in. No problems at all. I suspect that day they have already seen a lot of rigs checked in :)
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I've travelled with my rig extensively and have never had an issue. The "new" rules don't affect rigs. That said, some noobs at the TSA will need to call everyone and their mother over to stare at in on the x-ray machine before they let you through or do the swab-thing. Make sure you show up early in case they decide to be a PITA.

I always carry a couple pull-up cords just in case, but have never needed them.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

flying home from Tampa FL, I was put thru the typical
stuff because I was bringing my rig on board as carry on.
They literally busted my balls about my 2 hook knives
until someone from the TSA (supervisor) came foward to
explain that " it's not feasable nor likely that these knives
could b used as a weapon" He was also a skydiver, hence
told me to put them in my luggage the next time.

I guess I could have used it as weapon if someones juggler was hanging out from there neck..LMAO

Where do we find said paperwork? I know I could do a search, but I figure it's easier to ask you. You're smart and worldly. :D:)
I'll be flying with my rig soon. B| The only other time I've flown with it I checked it. But the main wasn't hooked up (and it was unpacked) and the reserve needed a repack anyway. I hadn't learned to pack yet. :S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

You're smart and worldly.

Flattery will get you nowhere you lazy bum... :P

USPA info with link to the TSA page (I have the TSA page printed out)
http://www.uspa.org/membership/travel/rigs.htm#tsa

Don't own a cypres so I'm not sure if they still have the x-ray card available for printing on their site.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You won't need the Cypres card. I've been asked for my USPA membership card twice before though so I started carrying that. The average TSA screener will not be able to comprehend the Cypres card or even know to ask for it. Don't volunteer it, or give them more info than they specifically ask for. Hell I even had a TSA screener try to tell me that the AAD uses a CO2 cartridge. I just basically agree to whatever ludicrous thing they say about parachutes and they send me on my way. Remember, the object of the screening process is to get through quickly, not give the TSA a skydiving gear lesson. ;)

I have 56 flights and over 60,000 airline miles this year so I think I've got the screening process down. ;)

Cheers. B|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I have 56 flights and over 60,000 airline miles this year so I think I've got the screening process down. ;)

I've got more miles than that (on fewer flights, though) this year and I, personally, have needed my Vigil card twice. The VAST MAJORITY of flights I don't need it, and I have never pulled it out until I'm getting into a "please open this up" argument with supervisors and managers.

I think it's better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and have the TSA saying "well, I don't know what that thing is, and I need you to open up the bottom part to show me what it is." In both cases, they were concerned about the battery pack on the Vigil unit and in both cases, sharing the x-ray card was enough to defuse the situation and get me on my way.

I know that Cypres and Vigil look roughly similar on an x-ray, so though the likelihood is small, it may happen to you at some point.

I stand my ground and request a supervisor before I get to the point I need the card. I don't even know where mine is anymore. I've also found that "volunteering" to unpack the main and "make a mess" makes them back off as well. Carrying a copy of the TSA regs helps too, but I haven't needed that for years.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I stand my ground and request a supervisor before I get to the point I need the card.

So do I. I'm just sayin' that I have needed it to defuse situations before. You haven't, that's cool, and I'm not going to come to your house and make you carry the paperwork if you don't want to. :P;)

Maybe you've never been through Oakland before. :S I needed both the Vigil card and the TSA regs there once. And I still almost had to rip open a week-old repack. Of course, this was the same supervisor who said "Ma'am, I need to see your ID and orders." I got out my driver's license and said "Uh, orders? I'm not sure what you mean." She said "I need to know why you are authorized to carry this on. I need your orders." I had to patiently explain that it was a sport parachute rig and I was under no orders to carry it... I just used it for fun. She had to be talked through quite a bit, as you can see. :D

As I said in my post above, experiences vary greatly. Sounds like you've had a better streak than I have.

You're smart and worldly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flattery will get you nowhere you lazy bum...

Thanks for the clicky! See, you are smart, you saw right through that flattery. :D:)
I know there's a cypres card in the back of the manual, now if I could only remember where I put said manual I'd be good to go. I'll check out the website.

Thanks for the info everyone, it always helps to hear what other peoples experiences have been.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091