parapilot

Low level turbulence

As a full time paragliding instructor / pilot our canopy’s are quite susceptible to low level turbulence. Is this a problem with your square parachutes? How does a parachute react when you hit a dust devil / turbulence on approach? Does it collapse easily, spin and twist risers? I am doing an AFF later in the year and was just interested.

mms://video.rfn.ru/rtr-vesti/32856.asf

This is a video of a paraglider getting hit by turbulence after take off, you can see how violently they react. Although it does not look like a really hard impact, it was unfortunately fatal

Parachutes are much less prone to collapsing than paragliders. Turbulence can be very dangerous, but won't normally cause the canopy to change shape drastically. Also paragliders are searching for updrafts and thermals... we try to avoid those kinds of things.

Here's a video of a skydiver, from his perspective, hitting a dustdevil right before touchdown.

Dave

I don't know enough to comment about most canopies, but I hit turbulence for the first time on my 3rd jump, and it freaked me out. The canopy started bucking around 1000' AGL , so I looked up and saw the end cells flapping a bit. Didn't turn out to be a big deal, but it sure as hell makes ya pay attention :o
cavete terrae.

it does not look like a really hard impact

I disagree. That looks plenty hard. Obviously hard enough... [:/]
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I don't know enough to comment about most canopies, but I hit turbulence for the first time on my 3rd jump, and it freaked me out. The canopy started bucking around 1000' AGL , so I looked up and saw the end cells flapping a bit. Didn't turn out to be a big deal, but it sure as hell makes ya pay attention :o

That may be a transition layer to surface winds going a different direction. I had that happen on my 3rd or 4th jump and yeah, it definitely had my attention too. I've experienced it many times in the 1000-1500 range since, but I wasn't prepared for the first time.

It's bad enough that they've stressed no hard turns low so you're already making turns slower than a 747, and now you have your end cells bouncing as you're starting your landing pattern!

I don't know if I hit a dust devil but I do know that at 8 feet there was a huge gust of wind and then no wind and my little ass dropped to the ground. No one was around to see what happened so I had to walk to help about 25 ft. with a broken hip:( Still no clue what the hell happened aside from what I just rambled out.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com