futurehighflyer

student canopy question

how is it exactly that a JM come to the conclusion of what a student can handle, what plays into that decision.

(Body weight + weigh of all gear) - canopy square footage = wing loading.

Instructors take into account wing loading (very low for students to begin with), their ability to fly the canopy they are jumping now (assuming they have made a jump or two already), DZ elevation, physical condition. Other factors occasionally show themselves.

Frankly, with one jump under your belt, I am surprised your instructor is talking with you about a canopy that would put you over 1.1 wing loading (the Tri 170). You should focus on your student training right now and learning fly to fly the canopy you are jumping currently very well.

Out of curiosity, what canopy are you jumping now?
Arrive Safely

John

When I said:
"but there was no problem overloading a tad right after I left student status. "

I intended this to mean that with no restrictions, I was able to get myself slightly over my head when I rented Spectre 210s sporting a naked weight of 215 and then went to Elsinore on a hot windy August day. Figure an effective WL of 1.2. Too high for me...landing sideways is ... interesting.

BT - I don't know what the thinking process is beyond considering the WL charts and how you did on the next higher size. Personally I'd take the 190 over a 170 something straight off student status. You'll learn better slightly underloading than slightly overloaded.

DZ.com has seen too many postings like your's with an ironic result.

...says the barely current jumper with 6,000 posts.

I'm not at all current. I had 18 jumps in a fun May, and none since, for reasons that are pretty easy to see. If I'm lucky I'll be fit for the sky at New Year's. More likely prudence will dictate early spring.

It's besides the point, though. It remains true that people have made postings like your's, and then those postings were reconsidered after the person died.