martinrusso

i'd like to do it...

If you're referring to that stomach-in-your-throat falling sensation, you never get that feeling out of an aircraft... not even in the first few seconds. The reason is that you're already traveling some ~100mph, so the air outside the plane is far from still. You exit and immediately enter this thick, turbulent soupy air. Over the next ~10 seconds, the "relative wind" changes from coming from the front of the plane to coming from the ground. That is, you stop traveling in the same direction of the plane and only travel down.

One can get that "sinking" feeling if they exit from a still [or low-speed] aircraft like a helicopter or balloon, but it only lasts as long as it takes for the jumper to reach terminal velocity.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

What *sensation* are you referring too...?

A roller coaster type sensation? That is almost non existent in sky diving. You are already flying forward in the plane, so unlike a roller coaster you don't rapidly accelerate, you just change direction.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

One can get that "sinking" feeling if they exit from a still [or low-speed] aircraft like a helicopter or balloon

True dat. I got it on a static line jump out of a little wee cessna.

Out of a Porter, nothing at all. I must say that sinking feeling is not a friend of mine. It doesnt hit me in the stomach like other people you see. Its ... um ... well, its kind of further ... um ... south [:/]

Should I avoid balloon jumps? I dont want to go foetal at sub terminal ...

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

It won’t take long to reach terminal and although it feels completely different than what you’re used to, it is an amazing experience. My first balloon jump got me more scared than my first jump (ASL) but I liked it much more. Scarier than both jumps was only my first BASE.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Wuffos seem to think you get that *ooohhhhh...god* feeling in your stomach like you might if you're on one of those drop-rides or a roller coaster ride.

Never happened to me! it doesn't happen, except in those other types of jumps that have been mentioned above.

Believe me..I wouldn't find it very enjoyable if that was the case! I HATE the FALLING SENSATION from things like roller coasters, etc..

Wuffos seem to think you get that *ooohhhhh...god* feeling in your stomach like you might if you're on one of those drop-rides or a roller coaster ride.

Never happened to me!

Yeah what really bugs me are the two most common excuses a whuffo has for not trying it. "I'm afraid of heights" or "I dont like the falling sensation."

I only have a fear of heights when I'm not earing a harness I suppose...because I never had that sensation while skydiving. Falling sensation is completely inapplicable as the only indicator you have that you are "falling" is the wind.

martinrusso...try a tandem at least once. you'll see what we mean, and might find the same reason we did for coming back for more. 0.02

What *sensation* are you referring too...?

The sensation that your wallet is now empty.:D

I felt that sensation in my ass. :D Lucky for me manifest keeps a jar a Vaseline behind the counter. :o
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Is the sensation of a poised exit (i.e. 'standing') very different from a dive exit (i.e. 'flat') ? Do you feel more of the 'falling' sensation this way?

Both are about the same, because your surface area presented to the relative wind is about the same. A tuck position or head down position will accentuate the "falling sensation."

Physics lesson: The reason you don't feel like you are falling when you jump from a plane is this. Although you are weightless on your vertical vector (towards the ground) when you first jump out, the wind from the airspeed of the airplane hits your body and exerts an acceleration towards the tail of the plane. If you had a G-meter, it would show about a 1 g acceleration at 100 knots indicated airspeed if you left in a belly position, poised or diving. However, the force of gravity you feel doesn't point to the ground, but towards the front of the plane. Straight down is actually towards the forward horizon when you first jump! This explains the "Hill" people talk about "falling on."

The g force varies as the square of the speed. Leave twice as fast, get a 4 g acceleration. Leave at 50 knots, feel only 1/4 g. So if you want that crazy falling sensation, make a Cessna jump, be the last guy out, and have the pilot slow it up as much as possible. Then leave in a tuck or head down. Better yet, jump from a hovering helicopter or balloon.

Or get a few more dives and go BASE.:)