Calvin19

ok... Have you ever induced a mal to cutaway, OR just cutaway a good parachute?

OK,
have you ever cutaway a good canopy just for fun, and because you need a repack anyway?
or have you ever induced a mal so it looks like you needed to cut away?

Well, Yes and No...why do you ask?

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

wondering how rare it is, i do it when i need a repack. why waste a perfectly good packjob and the ability to have a sub terminal freefall? not to mention the prectice of dealing with a mal?

RIIIIIGHT!! :S

SURE you do.....! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The meds from your little Boo Boo makin' ya say funny things?! :|

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

wondering how rare it is, i do it when i need a repack. why waste a perfectly good packjob and the ability to have a sub terminal freefall? not to mention the prectice of dealing with a mal?

It's actually illegal to do, or so I'm told..

No, would never do it. Unless I'm jumping a Strong Tridem. Why waste a good canopy, and have to go chasing after it. And why put yourself in even more risk. I'm all set.

Yeah...think I'm gonna have to 'call bullshit' on that one too! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

oh, about 50-50 !

Really cause I heard the 67.98 percent of the time the reserve works every time. I read it in an article yesterday, right after I read an article about how 95 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot;):P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have made two intentionals. Both with three parachutes. It's kind of a shame that's so hard to do these days, was much easier in the days of piggybacks with d-rings and round reserves. When I had my real mal, the cutaway and reserve deployment were routine...

I have seen two others do intentionals with just their usual two canopy rigs. Seemed crazy to me though one of those two (Billy Revis) did it several times when his reserve was due for a repack (every 60 days back then).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I have made two intentionals. Both with three parachutes. It's kind of a shame that's so hard to do these days, was much easier in the days of piggybacks with d-rings and round reserves. When I had my real mal, the cutaway and reserve deployment were routine...

I have seen two others do intentional with just their usual two canopy rigs. Seemed crazy to me though one of those two (Billy Revis) did it several times when his reserve was due for a repack (every 60 days back then).

I knew a guy like that too, he said...I bet my ass on it every other jump, what's the difference?

I have seen two others do intentional with just their usual two canopy rigs. Seemed crazy to me though one of those two (Billy Revis) did it several times when his reserve was due for a repack (every 60 days back then).

I knew a guy like that too, he said...I bet my ass on it every other jump, what's the difference?

Revis said all kinds of things like that including "I'll never make my 25th birthday"... he didn't.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Revis said all kinds of things like that including "I'll never make my 25th birthday"... he didn't.

did he go in because of a reserve mal?

did he go in because of a reserve mal?

Oh no, not Revis.. he would never meet his end in the way we all thought he would (which would have been going in due to low pulling or riding a reserve mal in after cutting away a good main). He took off one night in the fog in an airplane with no instrument lighting using only a flashlight, turned upsidedown and crashed into the garbage dump about a mile from the Z-Hills Commercial Center (where it used to be in the middle of the airport).

His Tri-Con round reserve always opened. My 26' Navy Conical would have always opened IMO, but I would NEVER have bet my last chance on that when I didn't need to.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

His Tri-Con round reserve...

was his, with or w/o the lateral bands? ;)

He had the original tri-conical low porosity 23' reserve.

Mine was the 'updated' version of the 23' tri....with the no blow up bands. B|

They used to be called Canopy Transfers.... at reserve repack time some would deploy the main........ then once flying the sqaure they would deploy the round reservebehind them and just as it would start to inflate they would chop the main...:)

I had one of those original tri-cons too. I used it once and then got something else after hearing sport death stories about tri-cons.
I have also done a few intentional cutaways for airshows/demos, but always with three canopies.
I've had 51 for real reserve rides, one total and 50 cutaways.
I've had three reserve problems. A 26' navy conical without a diaper streamered for about 900 feet, then finally inflated at about 400 feet. No clues as to why and no damage to the canopy.
I had a total inversion on a 24' flat, as in, the reserve pilot chute was hanging down from the apex inside the canopy and a full twist on the line groups as if I had stepped through the lines. It was packed properly, I packed it, and seemed like a normal slam-bang terminal opening, but on the "breath" rounds do after inflation, it wadded up, florb-a-dorbed around a bit and re-opened inverted. Again, no damage.
On a 26' Lopo with a diaper, I had a cigarette roll occur in the front right quarter of the canopy. By yanking on the riser and lines I evetually got it to clear, but it caused about a dozen burns over four panels.
But hey, what could possibly go wrong? I'll hold your beer and watch while you do it.
Zing Lurks