Calvin19

ok... Have you ever induced a mal to cutaway, OR just cutaway a good parachute?

have you ever cutaway a good canopy just for fun, and because you need a repack anyway?
or have you ever induced a mal so it looks like you needed to cut away?

No, not worth the risk. IMO
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've never done an intentional before. I was actually thinking of doing one soon though. Within the next 10-15 jumps. But I started with belly-mount T-10's, LOPO's & PC's, so I plan to go over my procedures for those before I attempt an sort of cut-away or transfer. Don't want to do it the stupid way if I can help it.
PULL!! or DIE!!

If you do it without a proper intentional cutaway rig, and without doing some serious training with an experienced instructor, you are doing it the stupid way.....

And yes, I ve done my share of cutaways...they were all intentional.....but only a few were planned....with a 3 canopy rig....

I've seen a guy try a transfer right beside me at 2 grand......of course cutting away from a good canopy meant a very subterminal delay, his body position went all to hell and he ended up with his reserve bridle cord nicely hooked around his ankle and off he went towing a horseshoed reserve......

Got lucky because it came off, and after a short streamer it opened at about 600 feet......

Tough Stan had brown undies just after that one.....

If you want to try subterminal, do a chopper jump.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Lots of times -- but then again I probably have over 20 reserve rides. Half a dozen from mals, half a dozen from crw and the rest intentionals (usually wearing a bellywart).

Cutaway from a three stack once (the other two cutaway also) and we did a star before dumping our reserves.... (Well, two of us did, anyways.... Got grounded for doing rw below a grand.... Thought I might did on that one!)

I once cut away my strato star because I was mad when it opened up and broke a steering line. It would have been fine to steer and land with the risers but I was pissed off because I'd been intending to do some crw after opening at regular deployment altitude (around 1800 back then).

Cut away from the bottom of a two stack once to leave the upper guy in a GHOST PLANE -- that was fun.

My last cutaway I may have been able to sort out but I dumped low and didn't want to try to fix it and then find it really wasn't going to work.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Yeah, I did one once but had a three canopy rig and wanted to fly my new reserve to check it out. Even though I had three canopies, probably wouldn't do it again now. But cutting away is totally different when you don't have to and you have time to think about it, gotta say that. Also, those were the days of BSBD.