manyquestions

I'm Sixteen and a Complete newbie

I've always been interested in extreme sports, but I've never tried skydiving (my mother wouldn't let me). But this year I'm serious about it. I got my own job and I'm going to pay for my lessons by myself, and my dad is going to be the one driving me to the center.

Do you guys have any advice for my first jump?

Oh, and PS- I'm afraid of heights, lol. Good way to get rid of my fear?

Do a search on drop zones that offer static line training (earliest age to start is 16). All other training methods mandate that you be 18.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yes, I've already asked about my age while talking to a secretary on the phone. I'm paying $175 for the jump and $30 for gear. It seems pretty steep.

BTW, are there restrictions for getting a license?

The price for the first jump includes the ground class. It sounds reasonable. I think every jump after that will be something like $50 or so, maybe a little more. Been a long time since I did the S/L course, so my guess may be off. Go to www.uspa.org and look for the online Skydivers Instruction Manual (SIM). It'll have all the requirements listed for each license.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yes, I've already asked about my age while talking to a secretary on the phone. I'm paying $175 for the jump and $30 for gear. It seems pretty steep.

Seems about right, 170 +/- 20 is about what i have heard/seen for SL training. The jumps after should be about 30-40.
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

Do a search on drop zones that offer static line training (earliest age to start is 16). All other training methods mandate that you be 18.

Not accurate any longer, Billy! You can train any method by USPA doctrine at age 16. They do at Raeford anyway.

When did that change? Didn't know it... what about tandems? still 18? or has it changed to 16 too?

Do you guys have any advice for my first jump?

Its already been said..go to the dropzone, and ask the instructors whatever questions come to mind. The biggest fear is the fear of the unknown. Having questions answered tends to alleviate that.

Oh, and PS- I'm afraid of heights, lol. Good way to get rid of my fear?

Well, your not alone. Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt being a beginner myself; but I'm going to post here what I usually say to people who say they won't jump because of a 'fear of heights':

Have you rode in a plane? Ever looked out the window? Did the view bother you? Chances are...if the view you had from the airplan did not make you fearfull, chances are, the view you will get in skydiving won't either. At 14,000 feet, our minds don't accept the fact that we are up that high. With the exception of an altimeter, there is nothing to reference us being that high (no tall buildings).

During freefall, and above 5-6K, you can't perceive the ground rushing up at you. When you start AFF, you won't (or shouldn't) be looking at the ground anyway. I still get a tad nervous on jump run, but it helps focus the mind and will keep one from getting complacent.

Best advice I have: Do your tandem jump, have fun and enjoy the view. Chances are you'll be hooked like the rest of us, but if not..well, the sport isn't for everyone. Good luck.