grlsgotalot2lrn

is aff lvl 1 necessary?

now i'm torn - i've done two tandems as part of a tandem progression program, and have already purchased my third for $90. After the third (and ground school) i would progress to aff lvl 2. the thing is a guy(not an instructor) at my dz said i should put the $90 towards ground school and aff, but then i would begin at level 1. For my second tandem, the tm's notes in my logbook are good exit, good turns, good aa, good tracking, and good landing. this guy also works at the dz as business promoter or something. Do i need to begin at level one, i was kind of hoping these tamdems could "count" towards aff.

Do i need to begin at level one, i was kind of hoping these tamdems could "count" towards aff.

It really depends on the DZ. At my DZ the working tandems do count towards the AFF jumps (we only do 2 working tandems), we do the transition dive to AFF as a 2 instructor dive and the students tend to move along really quickly after that.

Maybe you should chat with the DZ's head instructor to really figure out what you should do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

now i'm torn - i've done two tandems as part of a tandem progression program, and have already purchased my third for $90. After the third (and ground school) i would progress to aff lvl 2. the thing is a guy(not an instructor) at my dz said i should put the $90 towards ground school and aff, but then i would begin at level 1. For my second tandem, the tm's notes in my logbook are good exit, good turns, good aa, good tracking, and good landing. this guy also works at the dz as business promoter or something. Do i need to begin at level one, i was kind of hoping these tamdems could "count" towards aff.

It sounds like someone has mixed you up a bit. The tandems do count towards your "A" license. Look at it like this; you've got twenty-five dives to get your "A" license as you move through the categories of skydiving (Categories A-H) - not levels.

Now that you've been corn-fused, I would encourage you to talk with the instructional staff at your DZ to clarify which category you will be inserted in after ground school.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I started out doind tandem progresion. My dz does 4 tandems and then only four levels of aff before u graduate....I ended up doing 3 tandems and then doing levels 2-7 of aff cause i didn't feel u leaned everything u needed to learn....i agree with everyone else ask your instuctors they are the best source of information.

Though a DZ can implement any program they want, I teach my program by the USPA A license progression card such as the one here.

I require 2 working tandems that must have good body position, altitude awareness and pull at the assigned altitude, along with satisfactory canopy awareness and control for landing.
If the student can demonstrate these TLO's, I teach the ground school and take them up for a Cat C single Instructor jump from then on until they are able to supervise and jumpmaster themselves.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The thing I realy like about doing three or more tandems is it gives the student Hands on training on canopy, and entering the landing pattern, winds etc..., By your third tandem, the TI might feel more confortable with you helping flare also, at your decision, if wrong (early or late) he will fix it for you.

Ask an Instructor at your DZ you trust, and what ever you decide, the important thing is to have fun, be safe, learn, and GRADUATE! any way you can.

Everyone has the right idea here. With me be so new maybe I can help just a bit. At our DZ we can do either straight AFF or do the Tandem and then into AFF level 2. I chose the Tandem and into AFF because I wanted to feel good about landing. Yes, on AFF you are on radio and they do an excellent job of control and the landing flair but I just wanted to get the feeling of it first.

I would say go for the AFF, but as all the experienced ones that have replied, talk with your DZ instructors and see what fits YOU best. Remember, every skydive is YOUR responsibility so you need to be comfortable with whatever it is you're doing in that dive. NEVER comprimise that. And the beautiful thing about all these skydivers is, we understand and respect your decision.

Have a Blast and Blue Skies!!!