yeyo

calculating wingload

So, they say we have to consider all the gear when calculating our wingload. Shoes, altimeter, googles, underwear etc etc.... And some people are super anal about it, no one wants to talk about aproximate wingload. They say "bah, mine is 1.35679" If it has to be soooo specific and we have to consider everything, then why we have to add the weight of the canopy?
The canopy is not hanging from the canopy.
What Im missing?
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

They say "bah, mine is 1.35679" If it has to be soooo specific and we have to consider everything, then why we have to add the weight of the canopy?
The canopy is not hanging from the canopy.

Because the weight of the parachute still has to be suspended in the air.

But you're right, I don't think there is any need to be overly specific. 1, maybe 2 decimal points at the most.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

...suspended in the air, but not suspending from the canopy. The weight of the canopy doesnt load the canopy, i think B|
maybe im just looking at it wrong

Imagine a canopy wing made of solid lead.

There's a reason why few airplanes use dense metals for the wings. That weight certainly matters.

...if english was my native language maybe someone would understand my view
ill try again...
the way i see it, what loads the canopy consist of whats hanging from it (canopy).
i mean from the lines to your feet and whatever you are towing (flags or something).

so the weight of the canopy is not hanging from the canopy

doesnt matter, im probably wrong but thats what my weird logic told me :P
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

But it is placing a load on the canopy.

Your canopy is made of nylon, which is quite thin and light for the amount of wing area it provides. Even if you took all of the lines off of it and everything else so that nothing is "hanging" from the canopy, spread it out in the air, and dropped it from some height, you'd still expect it to fall to the ground, right?

What is providing the load to bring the wing down?

It's own weight.

If you made the same size and shape canopy out of heavy canvas, would you expect it to fall faster, slower or the same speed? Why?

...if english was my native language maybe someone would understand my view
ill try again...
the way i see it, what loads the canopy consist of whats hanging from it (canopy).
i mean from the lines to your feet and whatever you are towing (flags or something).

Think of it this way, if your canopy was made from something really heavy and it was, say, a stone (6kg?) heavier than a normal canopy you would expect it to go faster and be loaded heavier than a normal canopy of the same size.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?