awindrider

falling or flying? what is your glideslope?

FF sure feels like flying. A glider in stable flight is falling relative to the air it is in, yet most people easily admit that the glider is flying. Seems if the FF skydiver has any horizontal velocity then they have a glide slope, albeit not a great one, and thus are gliding, ie flying. Any one know or like to estimate how much of a glide slope we can attain in FF? GPS people? Trackers? Wing suit people? Since I have about 2 minutes of FF I don't have much to base a guess on yet, but I know I am flying!

I'm sure it does.

I'll know that for sure very SOON!!! My Prodigy is on its way!

Shameless plug:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5211&string=moab

is a video of Alan and I playing around in Moab...

While I never have liked watching wingsuit videos, some of the formation stuff we did was similar to what I saw real birds doing in play at the Grand Canyon this weekend while playing bird games. These are some of my favorite wingsuit moments.

However, the birds did a few new moves I want to play with on a wingsuit. Since they have flown their whole life, they are a good role model. I learned a lot.

Just FYI, a typical medium performance fixed wing glider, or "sailplane," has a glide ratio of 34 to 1. Some high performance sailplanes actually have a 50 to 1 glide ratio. What makes these feel like flying -- at least to me -- is not the gliding but the "soaring," i.e., riding thermals, staying aloft and going cross country. I highly recommend you try a glider flight. Besides being beautiful you'll get a whole new perspective on flying your canopy. (Freefall? Maybe not.)

Cheers,
Dean

I used to fly an ultra lite. Anybody here old enough to remember the Pterodactyl? They were originally hang gliders with a fixed cambered wing with a hang cage below. My favorite pastime was to motor to altitude and shut down the motor and soar. There was no in-air restart so reading the air and finding lift was pretty important. Dead stick landings and approaches were the norm. Ridge lift was easiest to find but occasionally I could catch a thermal. Yep. Flying a glider is really something special. Even a low performance glider like the Pterodactyl. Even a lower performance glider like a parachute. Even a really low performance glider like me. When I was lucky enough to soar it was because the air was rising faster than I was sinking. My point is it is really a matter of degree. In a strong enough updraft even my body could soar. If there is no rising air even the best sailplane is coming down. Yes, I know a glider can trade potential and kinetic energy back and forth and so momentarily go up even in still air, but basically it is coming down relative to the air around it. So are we. Which brings up an interesting question. Can a wing suit do the same? Of course in a 40mph updraft they could fly all day, looping and rolling to heart's content. Ah, what a pleasant thought.
Happy flying