labrys

Alternative to sunglasses

Someone in the RW forum mentioned these shaded contact lenses as an alternative to sunglasses. They seem like a good option for those of us who's eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, but prefer not to wear sunglasses on a skydive. I think these are a great idea. Does anyone use them and can you provide any feedback?

http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight
Owned by Remi #?

These are not made to be sunglasses or sun tints, they are made to enhance contrast. They come in 2 colors, green and orange. Both are a fairly light tint and due to the contrast enhancing properties would not do much from a light sensitivity standpoint... they are made for sports, not as sun protection.

I don't recommend the use of contact lenses for light control (with the exception of aniridia, iris coloboma, or albinism where there is no iris or the iris is transparent to light... and those are opaque iris contacts, not sun tints) just because you can't take them off in a pinch like you can with sunglasses should lighting change or you not want them there.

Another drawback is that you get UV protection from sunglasses. If you have sunglass tinted contact lenses, your pupils are bigger, so more light is going through. Unfortunately, contacts offer little to no UV protection, so from a long term damage to the eye aspect (cataracts, macular degeneration), you would be doing yourself no favors this way.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I agree with you that these are not a replacement for sunglasses, but I think it's a feasible option for our sport, especially for those who have to get prescription goggles specially made up.

On the note of contact lens UV protection - I know that Johnson & Johnson specifically advertise their lenses as having "UV protection" - I have not read any journals on this, however, but do you think this is not the case?

-Chanti-

i have both sets of these and use them for playing tennis and soccer. I would NOT recomend these for skydiving as a replacement for sunglasses. Like stated before they are just a color ENHANCER to better diferentiate between (example) a tennis ball and a tennis court.

I'll stick to my tinted goggles B|

Another drawback is that you get UV protection from sunglasses. If you have sunglass tinted contact lenses, your pupils are bigger, so more light is going through. Unfortunately, contacts offer little to no UV protection, so from a long term damage to the eye aspect (cataracts, macular degeneration), you would be doing yourself no favors this way.

It's my understanding that Soft lenes do actually filter out UV A & B light, it's also the claim on the Website.
UV light does not transmit through water well, and with a High water content lens would these not also filter the UV rays?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not 100% uv protection, actually much lower than that, which is the problem. Bigger pupil size would easily negate any positive affect that the UV protection of the lens has.

Remember that these lenses are not made for sun blocking, they are made for contrast enhancement, two completely different things. For the right application, they are a good tool. Skydiving probably isn't it.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda