badders_84

USPA vs BPA??

Hi Guys,

I have a number of questions about taking my AFF course abroad, hopefully this will reach someone who can help me out as I have not seen anything on the net as of yet!

I was hoping to travel to Brazil in september to take my AFF course which I presume will be a USPA qualification? I wanted to know, if I then wanted to go skydiving back in the UK will my training be recognised over here, and if not what will I need to jump here?

Any help would be really much appreciated as Iv not had much luck elsewhere

Yes it will be recognised.
Just get yourself the 'a' license before turning up in the uk. Maybe also an extra 20 odd jumps just in case.

Short answer, yes it will be recognised but get the license.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I would say you had better contact the CCI at the dz you wish to Jump at for what the requirements they will be from them to convert you. If you are a UK resident and wish to Jump in the UK, Bpa licence. Unless you wish to just Jump abroad

there are i believe slight differences between a USPA "A" and a BPA "A" . IF you wish to avoid possible complications speak to the local dz first and get their view on things as the y will be the ones converting you on your return. Would also say do that as soon as possible on your return as they may be unwilling to if you leave to big a Gap.

good luck:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

you dont need a BPA license to jump in the uk. You just need a Fai ( i think that is the right initials) license and BPA membership.

An fai 'a' license is an 'a' license no matter how you look at it. every country has different requirements but an 'a' license is an 'a' license.
You do not need to be converted to a bpa license when you return either.

Why do you say that you must have a BPA 'a' license?

You got it mixed up with a bpa MEMBERSHIP i think.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

So if someone from another country visits the UK, they need to buy the full £150worth BPA membership?

Heh, just noticed we are all from UKS:)

Someone going to jump in the uk for the first time from another country can buy a one off one month temp membership. After that they pay the full fare everytime they visit.

Starting the 1st april jumpers that are residence from EU countries and have a license from there country as well as insurrance are allowed to jump in the uk without BPA membership.

However this is not about membership, this thread is about the License/AFF and Pincheck is saying that if you are a resident of the UK that not only do you need BPA membership but now you must also have a BPA license and that an international FAI license is not acceptable and that it must be converted to a UK license. I would really like to hear if this is correct or not because there are so many british jumpers who are british residence who hold licenses from NZ, OZ, USA etc that i know who have never been told over the years they have been back in the uk that they need to convert to a UK license.

Would love to have this cleared up.

As far as i know if you have an internationally recognised FAI license that you do NOT have to then go and get a uk issued license.

That would just be scrapping the bottom of the barrel having a law like that.

Hey, i may be wrong and there may be shit loads of people in the uk breaking this requirement if it is in fact that.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

well Gary i went on the assumption he was a Uk resident that means that he has to be A BPA member to Jump in the Uk I think we have been down this road before mate and Its been done to death to be quite honest. Visiting Foreign nationals can get a months membership as far as i am aware or from the 1st of april there will be the change in the rules.

You know you can drop the BPA a email to clear it up.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Pincheck, were never talking about BPA MEMBERSHIP. Were talking about 'A' license.

You said he has to have a USPA 'A' License converted to a BPA 'A' license to jump in the UK if he is a resident.

I dont recall ever discussing this issue before. Membership, maybe but not having to convert your FAI license. 2 different things mate.

If you are a UK resident and wish to Jump in the UK, Bpa licence

there are i believe slight differences between a USPA "A" and a BPA "A" . IF you wish to avoid possible complications speak to the local dz first and get their view on things as the y will be the ones converting you on your return.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I was hoping to travel to Brazil in september to take my AFF course which I presume will be a USPA qualification?

Do a search, or better yet, check with the place you'll be doing the course. I think I've seen one or two Brazilian jumpers post on here mention their own association, so they may not be USPA down there.

In any case, I don't think it will make a lot of difference. Main thing is, get the licence, make sure your log book is complete, up-to-date and signed. Worst case, maybe you'll need to do some coach jumps when you get home, but most places I've visited around the world, you just show up with your licence and log book, get checked in and start jumping.

Ah ok sounds like it shouldnt be a problem then...thanks for the responses!

I did email the BPA so heres what they said (for arguaments sake).....

Arrangements for the integration of training taken outside the BPA system

1. The BPA recognises only courses of training offered under the requirements of the BPA Operations Manual by those holding an appropriate BPA Instructor rating where such training is at, or using the facilities of, a BPA Affiliated Centre.

2. It is important to recognise that even where a BPA Instructor runs a course outside the UK at or in association with a non-affiliated centre, this does not guarantee recognition of the course at a BPA Affiliated Centre, because non-affiliated centres do not operate under the requirements of the BPA Operations Manual.

3. There is therefore no set BPA UK national accreditation or credit transfer system to recognise courses and training, for example in a foreign country, that are not run under the requirements of the BPA Operations Manual.

4. However, parachutists jumping at BPA Affiliated Centres who were trained, or jump outside the BPA system, eg in a foreign country, may be integrated into the appropriate Category / Level / Grade as deemed suitable by the Club/Centre Chief Instructor (CCI) at a BPA Affiliated Centre.

5. The BPA therefore recommends that jumpers who are considering training outside the BPA system should discuss their plans with the CCI of their chosen BPA Affiliated Centre before they make arrangements to train outside the BPA system. This should help to ensure that the jumper finds a BPA Centre that will be prepared to integrate them with the BPA system in the appropriate Category / Level / Grade, and thereby avoid any possible disappointment.

...next step find an english speaking instructor in Brazil, any reccommendations more than welcome!

I am a UK jumper and my wife is Brazilian. I also work for a UK DZ so here is the truth. Many UK DZ's take jumpers trained in other countries. Since they cannot verify the quality of training abroad, most DZ's will want to do a check-out jump with you, see your documentation and see video. This applies to obvious new jumpers. If you have 2000 jumps, all they will want to see is your documentation.

We recently training a Brit who learned in the Eastern block. They had passed their Level 8 AFF but no consoles. We did a couple of check-out jumps and he was fine.

Hope that helps,
Simon

As long as you pay your 150 pounds to become a BPA member, doesnt matter if you have a BPA or USPA. I've been jumping in the UK for 4 years now (and other countries) and my USPA lic. has never been questioned. Actually, having my USPA B actually made a few things easier.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?