OSOK

Question...

Anyone have any info on how many G's a body would experience when hitting the ground with nothing out?

It would depend on many variables such as the resistance of the surface you hit, how fat you are, what point on the body you want to calculate the g's at (it will vary all over the body). To give you a rough idea, let's just make a couple of assumptions... We'll say you're falling at a constant speed of 130mph (190ft/sec), and we'll assume that the point of interest on your body is the center of your brain and it will fully decelerate over the distance of 6 inches. This would be the case if you hit very hard dirt that only ends up being displaced by about 2-3 inches and your brain squishes almost flat, lol. We're also assuming that the deceleration is constant (which is not going to be true), because we have no idea how the deceleration will vary with time.

Ok, using the equation: v^2=v0^2+2a(s-s0) ==> 0=190^2+2a(.5)
Solving for "a" gives us 36100(ft/sec^2)

So dividing by the acceleration of gravity (one "g" is about 32.2(ft/sec^2)), we get
a little over 1000g, over a period of about 0.005 seconds. Ouch!B|

An interesting note, if you were to hit solid concrete and you wanted to find the deceleration of the front of your skull, it would be about 15000g, over a period of about 0.0004 seconds. That would smart! B|B|B|

Anyone else agree or care to take a stab at it?
Gravity Waits for No One.

Ain't math wonderful?

"So dividing by the acceleration of gravity (one "g" is about 32.2(ft/sec^2)), we get
a little over 1000g, over a period of about 0.005 seconds. Ouch"

So that explains the Flat Brain assumption.
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ain't math wonderful?

"So dividing by the acceleration of gravity (one "g" is about 32.2(ft/sec^2)), we get
a little over 1000g, over a period of about 0.005 seconds. Ouch"

So that explains the Flat Brain assumption.
:D

Yep, lol. I wouldn't want to be on that clean-up crew.

Anyone have any info on how many G's a body would experience when hitting the ground with nothing out?

Too many to worry about anymore[:/]
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Hi PW,

That would smart!

I do not think so. Many lifetimes ago I was in a plane crash and the guy in back, w/o a seatbelt, flew forward and slammed into the back of my head, knocking me out (along with doing some other damage to me). I never felt a thing.

After that experience I have concluded that 'going in' does not hurt. Now I may be wrong and I am not going to have a go at it to find out.

Just my thoughts,

Jerry

Yep, lol. I wouldn't want to be on that clean-up crew.

You might not add the "lol" if you had been on one of those clean up crews.:|

I realize that's possible and I'd actually be the first to volunteer. Cause that's just how I am. I'm the guy who ALWAYS stops at traffic accidents to do whatever I can to help, regardless of how gruesome the scene is. And, no, I don't have some morbid fascination with death and dismemberment. I also realize there's the possibility that I could be "cleaned up" myself one day... What's the point in focusing on being uptight, stressed, and serious about something that's already happened and therefore you have no control over? Humor can actually be a pretty effective way of mitigating stress and panic in situations that you'd rather not be involved with... Of course, it's not surprising that someone could take that the wrong way, by not knowing what your reasoning is and/or not having the capacity to find the humor in situations. Granted, I'm not gonna be cracking jokes if I have to clean up my friends brains off concrete, but we're talking about a hypothetical situation here... :)

Hi PW,

That would smart!

I do not think so. Many lifetimes ago I was in a plane crash and the guy in back, w/o a seatbelt, flew forward and slammed into the back of my head, knocking me out (along with doing some other damage to me). I never felt a thing.

After that experience I have concluded that 'going in' does not hurt. Now I may be wrong and I am not going to have a go at it to find out.

Just my thoughts,

Jerry

Lol, yeah, I was just joking... If you consider the time to decelerate (.0004sec), that should give you a clue that your brain wouldn't have enough time to process the pain and or anything else before it resembled scrambled eggs.:o

...I'm the guy who ALWAYS stops at traffic accidents to do whatever I can to help, regardless of how gruesome the scene is.

Unless you have medical/trauma training and experience, I would suggest that you NOT do that other than offer the use of a cell phone if needed...and then leave.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...I'm the guy who ALWAYS stops at traffic accidents to do whatever I can to help, regardless of how gruesome the scene is.

Unless you have medical/trauma training and experience, I would suggest that you NOT do that other than offer the use of a cell phone if needed...and then leave.

I'm not an EMT, but I have taken Wilderness 1st responder classes. A cell phone won't do anything if someone stops breathing or if they're loosing large volumes of blood. But hey, what do I know though, I've also run after bank robbers and car thieves, so I can't profess that any of those actions are a good idea. My philosophy is this: If I would want someone to help me in a certain situation (like if I was injured in a car wreak), then I do my best to lend that sort of assistance to anyone I see who is in that sort of situation. It would be nice to think that MOST people had the same mentality as well, but the truth is that most people are either too scared and/or are too selfish to do anything to help anyone they don't know. I don't believe in karma either, because I know it's unlikely that I will ever have someone help me in similar situations. I do it because I want to and I never expect anything in return. And I do know the possibility exists for my actions to come back and bite me in the ass, and if that happens, then so be it. I'd rather get in trouble for trying to help someone rather than deal with the guilt of knowing that I didn't and someone was worse off for it. I know most people don't do that, but I could give a shit what most people do. In my experience, I've only had people be very happy that I helped. Except the guy I sent to the hospital because he was beating his wife.:) She was happy though.

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm with PW on that... I rather get sued after helping someone clear their throat than watch them choke to death and not do anything in fear of getting in trouble.

Cool. It's truly amazing to me how many people really don't give a shit about anyone they don't know.:S We're all in this together... If people would figure that out we'd all have a better quality of life.

So dividing by the acceleration of gravity (one "g" is about 32.2(ft/sec^2)), we get a little over 1000g, over a period of about 0.005 seconds. Ouch!

For the conditions you gave, this seems about right. To give a little perspective: the legal limit (US FMVSS 208) for acceleration on your chest in a car crash is 60 g over 3 milliseconds. One test result for an unspecified car hitting a barrier at 50 km/h (31 mph) shows that the passenger compartment starts at 0 g, gets to about -35 g at about 10 ms,
goes to about +2 g at about 20 ms (bouncing backwards a little), back down to about -35 g at about 50 ms, then back up near 0 g at 100 ms. (Source: Bosch Automotive Handbook 4th edition, ISBN 0-8376-0333-1, pp. 690-691.)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I guess you really can tell a lot about a person's personality and character from short remarks on the forum.

Kevin

I guess you really can tell a lot about a person's personality and character from short remarks on the forum.

Kevin

Totally[:/] Too bad, but it does help support my argument...

Don't know about the US, but in Canada that would be against the law. (assuming you witnessed it)

Don't know about the US, but in Canada that would be against the law. (assuming you witnessed it)

So that means you would choose to watch someone die, as opposed to doing what you could to keep them alive and incurring the small risk of being sued?

I'm trained in first aid and CPR, nothing amazing but I've used it a few times. Any help is better than none, and Good Samaritan laws in most states will protect you from lawsuits. I dislike having to do first aid, but it sure beats being the injured person, or standing around helplessly.

I have to say, I think you are all being hard on Popsjumper. I have worked as an EMT and there are situations when either reaction is correct. I believe the largest problem that occurs when trying to help, yet not having proper training. Most, but not all people fall into this category. If someone is bleeding to death, it is usually obvious (not always, but usually) so go ahead and help, but absolutely refrain fron diagnosing anything. Be aware of your limitations at all times...after all you are trying to help, but do not let your ego override your actual knowledge. you do not want to deal with the knowledge that you did further harm either.

As an EMT, you've probably had to move the amateurs out of the way so you can do your job. I'm lucky that our present DZ has a lot of EMTs at it. I used to jump at a DZ where that wasn't the case, and I did a fair amount of first aid. I certainly can empathize with Popsjumper sentiments. Many times I wished I was not tasked with responding to accidents. I sure couldn't do that for a living. [:/]

Thanks to those of you that do.:)