nathaniel

Can skydiving cause traumatic stress?

I was reading an article about PTSD tonight, and I started to wonder if skydiving is a cause of traumatic stress. Any psychiatrists, amateur or pro, care to share a word?

Can being part of an incident, narrowly avoiding one, or witnessing one damage your mind? Has it? (in seriousness and besides the effect that drains your bank account and ruins your marriage)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

pretty much anything that cause a person to expericence a traumatice event can cause PTSD. From seeing a spider to watching a 747 burst into flames
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was reading an article about PTSD tonight, and I started to wonder if skydiving is a cause of traumatic stress.

NO

is that your well reasoned and educated opinion. If so you you care to elucidate us, with your wisdom for why you bluntly state NO
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The question was:
Can skydiving cause traumatic stress?

My answer was :NO

I stand by my answer.

An AFF student I witnessed looked pretty stressed out when he cutaway on his 4th jump, he went from the perfect student(relaxed and having fun) to the stiffest most frightened student I have seen.

It definitely had an adverse effect on his level of enjoyment!

but hey what do i know I am only 32?

;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I was reading an article about PTSD tonight, and I started to wonder if skydiving is a cause of traumatic stress. Any psychiatrists, amateur or pro, care to share a word?

Can being part of an incident, narrowly avoiding one, or witnessing one damage your mind? Has it? (in seriousness and besides the effect that drains your bank account and ruins your marriage)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD

To answer your question... Yes, I think that I have seen people suffer from PTSD in skydiving. And I can't think of a single one that got help for it. I don't think they even realized that's what was going on. Some people labelled them as "burn outs" when in reality they were just trying to deal with the pain of something or somethings that had happened to them in the sport like witnessing one or more fatalities or losing a close friend(s) in the sport in some other accident. How people deal with stress can come out in different ways. Most ways is normal and expected and healthy. But there are those that don't recover normally and really could use some help but just don't get it in my completely untrained in psychiatric care opinion.

I'm not talking about people going up and being stiff after a cuttaway. I'm talking about people making poor personal choices and self destructive behaviours (example: heavy drinking) to deal with the pain of the trauma they have experienced.

Again, just my opinion.

Try cutting away at 1800'. Pulling your reserve at 1700' and having nothing happen. Throw the ripcord away to make sure it's pulled, roll on your back to clear the pilot chute hesitation and see nothing but blue sky. Roll back face to earth. Think, "Reserve total, I guess I'm dead." Have all emotion turn off. See that your going to hit in a house size brush pile and think, as you last thought, "I'll go right to the bottom, I wonder how long it will take them to find me?" Get opening shock at 300' at terminal. Think "I'm alive?" Look down and see power lines coming up and think "I'm going to die!". Have just enough time to turn your round reserve and land in the same brush pile you were going to hit in freefall.

Later think, I did everthing right and still almost died.

PTSD? Close, certainly screwed me up for awhile. Jumped 2 weeks later. Was afraid about being afraid, but wasn't. Have made 2500 jumps since then 26 years ago.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

my left toe hurts on monday and my pecker hurts after to much sex are these illnesses to ? they have a name for eveything that makes someone feel differently and they all seem to be disorders or sicknesses - i think the doctors need more ways to make money

I deal with PTSD a lot in legal circles. It's massively over diagnosed and many medical experts cannot stand up to cross-examination on their diagnosis.

If you're that interested, take a look at DSM-IV, (currently 4th edition), or ICD10, (10th edition), which are the most commonly used diagnosis criteria for PTSD, (google or wikipedia them if you're bothered).

The main area I usually attack is based on the entry criteria – ie what must have happened to the injured party before the psych expert is even allowed to consider PTSD.

ICD10 states that the trigger event must be "of exceptionally threatening or catastrophic nature, which is likely to cause pervasive distress in almost anyone". DSM-IV uses "the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others and the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror".

If the injured party fits into one of those brackets then they at least meet the entry criteria... then the psych expert can continue to consider if they meet the rest of the requirements. To do this they will look at the symptoms reported and see if they match the profile required for a full diagnosis. I'll not repeat those here – go look them up if your question is serious – they are... substantial.

Participating in skydiving could easily meet the entry criteria, especially where an incident occurs and so long as the symptoms fit the DSM/ICD profile someone could be diagnosed with PTSD... that's not to say of course they'd be able to recover damages from anyone for it... that's a wholly different question altogether!

]

I'm no expert but I'd say, yes. Normally the human brain is good at bouncing back from extremely frightening situations, but not always, and it can vary greatly in individuals. A smell, or sound, or something related to the past frightening event can trigger a serious nervous reaction or even intense fear. (As if you are reliving that episode all over again.) It can also interfere with sleep patterns and result in nightmares.

One Vietnam Vet would sit in a room with his back to a wall and would become intensely alert (hyper vigilant) at the slightest noise. Another war veteran would dive on the floor at any loud noise.

I work with some kids, as a school counselor, who are suffering from the affects of PTSD. Most of them were traumatized in the dysfunctional home they were brought up in.

If the trauma is severe enough you may or may not end up with PTSD. So skydiving probably could cause some of this in some individuals.....Steve1