firstime

stupid mistake

No spanking, I promise. But a related experience to ease the pain.

I did my first RW for my A License proficiency card yesterday (thursday) and we planned the dive. My instructor said "no more" at 6500, turn and do a 5 second counted track, don't bother checking your altitude after the 6500 check, by the time you turn and track for 5, you will be right at 4500, the planned signal and pull altitude.

Well, I did everything just right except I looked at my altimeter at the end, it read 4500.... Great, Right? Well that took a few extra seconds, the wave off an pull a few more.... he estimated my pull at around 3000, maybe 3500!!! I thought the big rock was looking especially large! Lesson learned here too..... plan the dive and dive the plan.

Just glad you pulled in time and not with 2 out.

first communicate to the person that you are going to touch their ear for a second (they might give you a strange look, but they'll get it as soon as you do it)

Would ask before touching, if not, you just might wake up in a very strange place wondering what happend. Just a safty tip, do want you want with it :P

that's what i meant by "communicate to the person" - of course i would never just reach up and grab a piece of somebody's face... :P

-dan

I have already incororated a barrel roll prior to deployment in my skydive.

And what happens to you, that one time (especially at your experience level) when a barrel-roll right prior to deployment time (presumably during but right at the END of your track) results in you going horribly unstable? Do you REALLY see everyting "above" you that you think you are needing to see when you barrel roll anyway? -THINK about it. I sincerely doubt it.

It has astounded me at how many people I've heard lately think that this is something they "HAVE TO" incorporate into their pre-deployment procedures! ...Yet, IMHO they don't even know what it is they are seeing (while they barrel roll), at what trajectory it is to them, or what it is they are looking for in the 1st place, or even (more importantly) what they would do if they DID see "ANYTHING"! :S

Please do yourself a favor, and THINK about this one just a little more.

Okay now, feel free, let the "flames" (ahem)... debate begin :P

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>>>do you not experience any pressure adjustment problems with earplugs?

I get this sometime with only my helmet, It's a bonehead and it has been baked. Have you ever had your ears clear a day or so later? It always wakes me up to the fact that for the last few days I have been talking louder and hearing less.

***what it is they are looking for in the 1st place, or even (more importantly) what they would do if they DID see "ANYTHING"!

Duh!! it anit geese, maybe other ppl and yes I can track while on my back in the unlikley event that
someone should be above me, again this is not an every jump thing but I will do it when it's needed.....
busy skies at another drop zone not knowing others
in the sky. I value your jump #'s and experience but IMHO you need to RE evaluate your response.

a little more wood on the fire

***what it is they are looking for in the 1st place, or even (more importantly) what they would do if they DID see "ANYTHING"!

Duh!! it anit geese, maybe other ppl and yes I can track while on my back in the unlikley event that
someone should be above me, again this is not an every jump thing but I will do it when it's needed.....
busy skies at another drop zone not knowing others
in the sky. I value your jump #'s and experience but IMHO you need to RE evaluate your response.

a little more wood on the fire

ditto.

"'close' their ear canal with that little piece of ear that kinda folds back to close the opening in the ear (dunno what it's called)"

Talk about hijacking the thread.....it's called the "tragus," fyi
~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
-Anon

ditto.

Gee, thanks guys... that's just what I was looking for ---sarcasm. :S

Mark, I'm surprised at you that you would really actually fuel that like this as well. I am well aware of yours & Biguns "disagreement", and I personally, was not even going there, ...so, no need, okay?

However, do you truly believe that this kid NEEDS to be on his back ("barrel rolling" or not) in order to see adequately above him just prior to deployment?

And instead of maybe just one-word sound-byte sarcasms, why don't we all THINK here, which in actuality Firsttime WAS doing, and did with his first response to me, which I appreciated, and "left alone". That's all that I asked. He seems to be doing that. ...Why would you now all of a sudden want to supress that?? :S Because it is yet another volley in your "debate" with Bigun over this?

Do you really want to drag me into that one too?

Firstime, with your first post, you made it look like you felt the need to build a "barrel roll" (your own quote) into your pre-deployment repetoire. I merely asked you to think about that, which it looks like you HAVE! I did not mean to make it look like in any way I was personally attacking YOU, which I wasn't. Merely trying to recognize and appreciate that there is a wider audience out here than just the 2 of us in a PUBLIC FORUM, so my comments were much more broad. If you took them personally, then please DON'T and accept my apologies for any misperception, which prior to THIS response I did not think existed. You ammended your statement, and I think appropriately so. Why do the 2 of you now suddenly feel the compunction to have to diverge from that and degenerate into personal aspersions? Although it can also be debated the NEED (again) to have to flip on one's back in order to see above them, and still be "safe".

Glad to see that my comments at least stimulated some consideration, and THINKING! -That, my brother, was my ONLY intent. I have reconsidered my response, and still consider it to be appropriate within that context. -Thank you for your suggestion there.

Adn indeed, continue to THINK!

Blue Skies to you both!
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

do you truly believe that this kid NEEDS to be on his back ("barrel rolling" or not) in order to see adequately above him just prior to deployment?

no, not unless the situation requires it. sometimes it does. i track flat far and fast, and on most dives i can look back underneath me as im tracking away and watch where everybody goes, in that sitiuation there is no need whatsoever to look above you, so why would you. so in that sense i think we are in agreement.
the only time i feel it is necassary to look above you is when somone or multiple somones are unacounted for. some dives at times do go to shit, we all know that.

the post i was saying ditto to is because he saud that he wasnt doing it all the time and that he is only doing it when it is necassary. and that if you thought that was wrong you need to reavaluate you thinking on it. and i was in total agreement with that, hence "ditto". i didnt feel like i was attacking you in any way. and im sorry if you took it that way, it wasnt my intention.

Firstime, with your first post, you made it look like you felt the need to build a "barrel roll" (your own quote) into your pre-deployment repetoire.

no i dont think with his last post he was saying that. and i would not agree with somone doing this on every jump, there is no reason for it.

Why do the 2 of you now suddenly feel the compunction to have to diverge from that and degenerate into personal aspersions?

sorry, i didnt think there was anything personal going on here. i just truly believe that if you cannot locate "everyone" on your dive during tracking away, you should look above to make sure there not there before deploying.

p.s. plese stop using big words i hate looking things up.;)

Mark, I'm surprised at you that you would really actually fuel that like this as well. I am well aware of yours & Biguns "disagreement",

acctually biggun said that we have had this dissagreement before, well i honestly dont remember it. im not saying it didnt happen, i just dont remember it.

hopefully maybee ive made my point or opinion a little clearer. i wasnt trying to argue anyways.