buzi

Down size

Hey there, I will post this in the gear forum as well. I just have a quick question, I have 170 jumps (weigh 195lbs), and jump a sabre 190. I was thinking of getting a sabre2 170, but then somebody at the DZ offered me hornet 150. My question is: would I be l loading the hornet too heavily or is it a good choice. I was thinking of taking it for a "test drive" before making my decision. Thanks for the input.
Dave

Don't get the Hornet. I don't know much about it but I bet the price is real good on it. He just wants to get rid of it.

When I had a few jumps, I made the mistake of being gullible about parachutes and bought an Apache 170, which turned out to be a POS. A Sabre2 should serve you well, although I'm primarily a Triathlon jumper.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Don't get the Hornet. I don't know much about it but I bet the price is real good on it. He just wants to get rid of it.

When I had a few jumps, I made the mistake of being gullible about parachutes and bought an Apache 170, which turned out to be a POS. A Sabre2 should serve you well, although I'm primarily a Triathlon jumper.

:ph34r:Put the Hornet in the same category as the Esprit;)..."it's Freeeeeeeeee" to any takers:D

A 1.45 loading is extemely aggressive for you listed jump numbers. You could probally get by with getttinf a Sabre2 190 and seeing a large performance increase over your current Sabre and you wouldn't have to worry about the main would fit in your container or the extra issues with the increased wingloading.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

:ph34r:Put the Hornet in the same category as the Esprit;)..."it's Freeeeeeeeee" to any takers:D

Have you guys flown a hornet? Besides opening a little fast it is an awesome canopy, especially for what you can get one for. :|

Of course that has nothing to do with the high loading he would have.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I am not going to address the actual Hornet aspect of this thread since I have never jumped one, but don't skip steps in the downsizing game. You will most likely only be hurting yourself either physically or in terms of canopy control progression if you move down too fast. It may be hard for you to understand this, but you still have so much more to learn about your current canopy. If you feel you must downsize, seek out a Sabre2 170 instead. This way you will be flying the same wing but only slightly more sporty.

Don't skip steps in the downsizing game. As you gain more experience, you'll understand why we say these things.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey there, I will post this in the gear forum as well. I just have a quick question, I have 170 jumps (weigh 195lbs), and jump a sabre 190. I was thinking of getting a sabre2 170, but then somebody at the DZ offered me hornet 150. My question is: would I be l loading the hornet too heavily or is it a good choice. I was thinking of taking it for a "test drive" before making my decision. Thanks for the input.
Dave

Dave,

You and I aren't far apart in experience, or wing loading. So I'll give you some advise with that aspect in mind.

I, like you have the majority of my jumps on a 190. (assuming you've been flying the 190 for a while) Mine was a Tri, and a damn fine canopy. I moved off of the Tri and flew various 170's for a while. I really didn't see much of a difference between my Tri 190 and the nine cell 170's in decent rate, but the glide and flare were stronger when I switched to the nines.

I decided to purchase a new canopy and bought a Sabre 2 150. I had jumped a couple of 150's, taken a canopy course with Brian, and made sure that I could pretty much handle everything on Bill Vons progression chart (under a 170)

That being said, there is a HUGE difference in the flight/landing characterisitics between a 190 and a 150. Maybe the expert swoopers will disagree, but it pretty much astounded me.

Entering my landing pattern, my descent rate is much faster, when making any turn that moves me out from underneath my canopy I lose a lot more altitude, and when on final it seems that everything happening, and every decision being made has to occur about twice as fast as before. The flare point becomes more of a feeling and built in response than, "ok, I'm at the right altitude now". Even in the flare I have to fly my canopy all the way through to the end, as opposed to the flare...flare...flare instruction from the past.

Saturday I was coming back from a long spot after an awesome tracking dive with someone. I was the last canopy in the air and entered the LZ with less altitude than I normally set-up for. I was in my turn on final and noticed that I was a bit lower than usual. I aborted my turn early and landed at about a 45 degree angle from where I originally intended. If I would have proceeded with my turn, I would have "landed" with my canopy to the left of my body. Not good. I considered it a painless lesson, this time. (Thank you Brian for the lesson behind canopy mechanics)

Throw in the usual twenty canopies landing around me and my options decrease dramatically.

In hind-site, I should have stayed with the 170 for a while. Without a canopy course, where I paid attention and practiced what I learned, I might be drinking out of a straw right now too.

There's a psychology behind low jump number down-sizing that I don't see a lot of people admit to.

Smaller pack volume
Container not as bulky looking
What will a couple of sizes less hurt
My peers will think I'm cooler
Others with my experience have done it
It can't be that much different
I tried it and landed it perfectly, so what's the big- deal.
I'm spending a lot of money so I should get- something I can stick with.
Someone told me I'm a good pilot so I should be safe.

I learn every day that there are small situations and factors that change my flight plan that I didn't and couldn't anticipate before-hand. After flying this 150 I learned that it is now an extension of my body, and I'm no longer a passenger under a piece of material. Every action or move I make effects my flight. Even the way I shift my weight in the harness. The forgiveness factor is exponentially less than it was before.

Throw in the fact that you're also responsible for the live's of those flying around you and it can be daunting.

My advise to anyone is listen to what the people who have been around for a long time have to say. The words aren't a mantra repeated because it's PC and the responsible thing to do. The words are repeated because THEY KNOW. They know that until we new "guys" have been around long enough to experience several of the X factors that this sport will throw at you, we are a liability to ourselves and others.

By the way, this wasn't pointed directly at you. Your question just brought it to mind.

Peace

Thanks every one for the input. All in all you just reconfirmed what I thought. I really like what ROK wrote as well, thanks. I will stick the 190 for this season, and really try to explore its ranges. Next year I will get what I wanted in the first place anyways, a Sabre2 170.
Blue Skies