Kynan1

Would you have cut this away?

It appeared so, but it wasn't flying straight, granted I had the other toggle stowed still...oops..haha
I could have tried landing it with the rear risers, but didn't want to figure out it wasn't working at 500ft. Due to the hard opening and busted line, line twist, I just cut it.

It appeared so, but it wasn't flying straight, granted I had the other toggle stowed still...oops..haha
I could have tried landing it with the rear risers, but didn't want to figure out it wasn't working at 500ft. Due to the hard opening and busted line, line twist, I just cut it.

Ya lived...did the right thing! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you had unstowed the other brake you probably could have flown it. I landed my Alpha with a broken steering line. The only thing I would do different is I would come in on the fronts for a little speed and plane out with the rears. I came in nice and slow and stalled the canopy and landed a little hard. I have known people that have had double mals. I am not quite as quick to chop something I can fly.

When I had 266 jumps, I would have done exactly what you did, chop it and trust my reserve.

Now, I would remain altitude aware, evaluate the situation and base my priorities on my altitude.
If there is time, see if the canopy is controllable, it is that simple - keep it fundamental...
I put the chance of a double mal out of my mind, if I have to use my reserve, I simply trust it...

You did good..

Ummmm, beer...
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

After looking at everything again, unstowing the left toggle may have been a good idea.[:/]
I saw the broken right brake line and automatically assumed, the parachute was shot. In actuality, it may have been ok to fly. All the same, it felt good to cut that bitch.
Yeehaw Mutha*%*(#)%...oh, voice overdub there..haha

After looking at everything again, unstowing the left toggle may have been a good idea.[:/]

What was your altitude when you cutaway?

It’s okay if you are no certain, but altitude awareness when dealing with a potentially land-able partial malfunction is paramount. When adrenaline levels are high and temporal distortion occurs, it is easy to loose track of altitude - very easy.
When things don't go right and you are amped out and not aware of your altitude and probably too excited to think about checking it, a cutaway and reserve deployment is good stuff.
That is why it is important to make altitude awareness second nature.

I would encourage you to continue training emergency procedures, make altitude checks a part of your drills, any time you have a lower speed partial malfunction, check your altitude (like BEFORE you start to kick out of LTs) and make an altitude check the first step in your control check from now on, I will help greatly in training yourself to remain altitude aware during and after deployment. Having a keen sense of altitude awareness may save your life one day, it certainly would have made a difference for many dead skydivers in the past.

You will have an evolved perspective 1 or 2 thousand jumps from now but - Again, I think you did the right thing at your experience level.
The adrenaline must have been pumping, feels good eh?

Congrats on your first reserve ride - and ummmm, another beer reminder...
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

The only person who can answer the cutaway question is the person who was under the canopy at the time. If you didn't feel comfortable landing it, then you should've cut it. You came out alright so you must've done the right thing. Someone else may or may not have done the same and still ended up alright.

Blue Skies
PMS#529

Yes that is true but he came here with the question"Would you have cut this away".

It bothers me to see the "You came out alright so you did the right thing" with no discussion about what was going on or what really happened. I recently almost saw someone die because of the decision that was made. You can make bad decisions and still live.

I think it depends on whether you've been learning to fly the canopy with all the control inputs or not. I have around 400 jumps on my 170 Nitron with about 3 dozen all rear riser landings(2 were lost toggles,1 broken line). I'm very practiced with this canopy so I have no trouble landing with no brakes. But on the demo canopies I've been jumping lately I wouldn't land with no brakes because it's already unfamiliar territory. I might have landed the 188 Pilot I had to jump last weekend though because it's a big giant skyslug that would've given me time to practice with. It also was a borrowed rig that I wouldn't want to pay to have repacked unless neccessary.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I would have CHOPPED IT! I think you made the right decision. You chopped at 1,400...you did not want to burn anymore alti f'n with it. You did the right thing. No use second guessing it.

Yes, it may have flown straight after f'ing with it a bit more...but now your landing your "leg breaker" ;) canopy on rears. Which I assume you have not thoroughly practiced. (or worse...if it doesn't fly straight...your now chopping below 1K) F it! It was ugly...you were low...get the hell out of there and chop it! Good choice!

To the guy who said the reserve opening was slow...look at the alti read out on the top left...the reserve opened in like 120ft....that's fast.

Oh yeah...listen to AFFI...on the BEER comment...:)

- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.