tdog

Reserve Rides to Jump Ratio on Gear appropriate for Beginner to intermediate use.

I walked by someone the other day who said to another jumper he had over 40 reserve rides. I kept walking, but thought - "please don't pack my ride."

This poll asks the question, how many times statistically have you fired your reserve - or if you are an employee of a DZ, what is your DZ average.

For the sake of the question, please assume malfunctions on modern (in production) gear that a typical fun/recreational jumper with average experience might use - not mals on highly loaded, super aggressive, competition or experimental equipment only the top tier of our community use.

NOTE - I TRIED TO EDIT THE POLL TO ADD >600- IT WON'T LET ME - SO VOTE 500-600 IF YOU ARE >600.

4200 jumps, 5 unintentional reserve rides - but 3 of those were on tandems. So about 1 in 800 on all gear, 1 in 2100 on gear I pack and maintain.

Your math is confusing Bill. "1 in 2100 on gear I pack and maintain." only makes sense if all 4200 jumps were on your own gear and none were on the tandem gear.

1 in 63 jumps.
Not sure why the "top tiers" of the community is exempt from voting though...

My intent was not to exempt the very experienced - but to isolate equipment that might malfunction more often (where the experienced jumper is willing to accept that risk in exchange for some other desired result).

Overall 7 times in about 2800 jumps makes 1 in 400.

2 times in 2000 funjumps (13 years) on normal sport gear (makes 1 in a 1000) Both cutaways were in the same week on jump # 720 and #740. first was packing related and second was broken steering line.
I have 1000+ jumps on crossbraced canopies WL 2.2. No reserves on them.

5 times in about 800 tandems (makes 1 in 160)
None of the 5 tandem reserves were own packjobs and 1 broken riser was gear related.
edited to add: All tandem reserves were in the same year(2003). I'm a tandemmaster since 1999...