evan15342

Trying for license again, few questions

Just a bit of back story, a few years ago I tried to go for my A license, did 3 tandem jumps, decided to try AFF, flared a little too early (could have sworn they said flair over the radio), and didn't do a good PLF. This resulted in a very broken ankle, now titanium reinforced. I was out of commission for a while, and then busy and broke.

Cut to the present. I just graduated from college, and am moving to DC for my first job. Said job comes with a decent signing bonus, so I'm planning on going for my License again. Here's where my questions come in.

1: Equipment: I'm a big guy. 5'11", 260lb, but in ok shape, no problem running up and down stairs, etc. I'm planning on buying a complete set of gear eventually, so I figure I might as well do so before starting training. Do schools offer discounts if you have your own gear? Also any advice for type and size of gear for someone my size who's not interested in doing any type of fast landing any time soon? I'm hoping I can find a decent set of used gear to start out, more woried about price than looks.

2. Training: I'm thinking my best option would be to do an AFF training course. What's the difference between the A - G categories and the 1 - 9 level? Is there a required or practical limit to the number of AFF jumps you can do in a day or weekend?

3. Location: I'd prefer to do my training at one of the DZ's near DC since that's probably where I'll be jumping most of the time after I get licensed, but Looking at the prices, it looks like it might be cheaper to jump here in NC, and I could find crash space easy for a weekend or two. Any advice or recommendation on locations?

Well, thanks for reading, and I look forward to making many more interesting posts in the future.

You will semi-quickly move to smaller gear in your first 25-50 jumps. Don't buy quite yet... Your first rig will be big and docile, but not as big and docile as most student rigs.:)

AFF... Well, each DZ adopts their own program. The SIM (from www.uspa.org) has categories in the "official training program", but each DZ modifies it a bit. So your AFF levels versus the categories in the integrated training program cannot be answered without telling us exactly which DZ you plan on learning at, and what they do for each level.

More importantly, don't worry and just show up. The program is designed so even a caveman can do it.:P Seriously, just take one step at a time and it will be easy.

About how many levels in one day? I got a guy thru AFF levels 1-7 and a first jump course and taught him how to pack, in 48 hours... But he had a credit card and lots of energy and was athletic. More realistic, plan on 3 days with good weather.

Just a bit of back story, a few years ago I tried to go for my A license, did 3 tandem jumps, decided to try AFF, flared a little too early (could have sworn they said flair over the radio), and didn't do a good PLF. This resulted in a very broken ankle, now titanium reinforced. I was out of commission for a while, and then busy and broke.

Cut to the present. I just graduated from college, and am moving to DC for my first job. Said job comes with a decent signing bonus, so I'm planning on going for my License again. Here's where my questions come in.

1: Equipment: I'm a big guy. 5'11", 260lb, but in ok shape, no problem running up and down stairs, etc. I'm planning on buying a complete set of gear eventually, so I figure I might as well do so before starting training. Do schools offer discounts if you have your own gear? Also any advice for type and size of gear for someone my size who's not interested in doing any type of fast landing any time soon? I'm hoping I can find a decent set of used gear to start out, more woried about price than looks.

You don't want to be buying gear til you have your license, but going for cheap is a good idea. Chances of you jumping the same gear in 50 jumps after finishing AFF are slim. Additionally, the DZ where you go thru AFF may not even allow you to jump on gear that they aren't familiar with. I'd recommend checking with them before buying anything.

2. Training: I'm thinking my best option would be to do an AFF training course. What's the difference between the A - G categories and the 1 - 9 level? Is there a required or practical limit to the number of AFF jumps you can do in a day or weekend?

Dunno about other DZ's, but our DZ won't allow more than two per day during AFF, except in unique circumstances and the head AFF instructor agrees. I've been at other DZ's where they had a limit on the number of AFF jumps in a day as well.

Dunno about other DZ's, but our DZ won't allow more than two per day during AFF, except in unique circumstances and the head AFF instructor agrees.

Wow, I have had great success with a few people (athletic and in good shape) who completed as many levels as they could in one day.

Drop of rigs to packers - train - jump - repeat... I have done it twice in the last year where the student did 5 jumps in one day - and it was very successful.

Of course, it depends on the student - but I have yet to tell a student, "nope, too much, come back tomorrow." They seem to know when they are ready.

What is your DZs justification? I think the instructor will know if it is time to say "no", so why limit the student?

1: Equipment:...... Do schools offer discounts if you have your own gear?

I doubt that you will be allowed to jump your own gear untill you have received your licence.
At least for the AFF part, with instructors at both sides of the student (Level 1-3) the student harness is modified so that the instructor on the student's left side is able to deploy.

They might allow you to use your own gear for the solo jumps (if it is comparable to sudent gear) which then could lead to a discount.

In general I wouldn't go for a new gear at all and probably not even for used gear until you have made a couple of jumps.
You will discover that right after student status you want and should be able to downsize a little from the student canopy size. So buying something upfront which you don't want to use soon after doesn't sound like a good idea.

Have fun with the course!!

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

dont buy any gear. like others have said you will downsize a bit in your first 30 jumps or so. i went from my first jump flying a 240, to a 230, then to a 220, and ive been jumping a 190, soon to go to a 170.

1-9 is just a little bit of an older accelerated freefall course from what i have heard. some dropzones still use it. i myself progressed through the integrated student program (isp). i did my ground school on a wednesday when the dz was closed, then i did my first 6 jumps on that thursday. i graduated AFF by the first load of Friday. It all matters on how much you can learn in ground school and apply it in the air.

thats all the answers i can supply. try emailing one of the dropzones, they might know of some cheap lodging available.:)
blue ones
jake
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

Student gear is different in not only it's size but in some or all of it's deployment device construction, emergency systems, AADs, and flight characteristics.

You do not want to buy a student rig for your personal rig and you don't want to buy the same main as would be required for a student your size.

DZ's have weight restrictions for lots of reasons gear being one of them and they may very well not have gear that is LEGAL for you to jump. It's not just the main. Only the very largest PD or Performance Designs reserves are legal near 300lbs, which your exit weight will be. And even if you bought an appropriate rig a DZ may still decide not to either let you jump it or take you on as a student.

Talk to the possible DZ's about the solutions to getting you in the air before you even consider buying equipment.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks for all the great responses. A lot of good points to consider. It sounds like my next step is going to be to contact some of the local DZ's and start checking out my options. I think I might start a separate thread asking for advice and opinions on training and gear in general from other big guys.

Before I started jumping, I was about 255 lbs, 6'4". I ran up and down a lot of stairs, hills, and other stuff and didn't eat as much and got down to around 200 lbs before I started AFF. I had one jump already, so I knew I wanted to do it, and the DZ had a weight limit for AFF students I had to be under. Skydiving was the main motivation for me to lose weight, and it still is one of them for me to keep it off.

As a new heavy jumper you will only be able to jump only with people who can fall very fast on their belly, or who want to freefly with you. You will likely need a very baggy jumpsuit or wings. Equipment will need to be bigger and appropriate for your weight. The instructors will need to be able to match your fall rate. Also the bigger you are, the harder you fall, and the more likely you are to break something on bad landings.

I would recommend not buying any gear yet, calling all the DZs near where you want to jump and see if they can accommodate you. Gear rental is included in every AFF course I've seen.

Before I started jumping, I was about 255 lbs, 6'4". I ran up and down a lot of stairs, hills, and other stuff and didn't eat as much and got down to around 200 lbs before I started AFF.

I lost nearly 50 lbs for skydiving too, all depends on how much ya want it I guess... Great adivice to the OP...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…