Ashkit

When was your first scramble?

I was invited to participate in the scrambles at my DZ in Hazleton Pa this coming weekend, I was told by a few people that they are a lot of fun and that its all for fun and when someone messes up everyone just laughs and has a good time. So I guess I'll give it a try, I am nervous though.. I have 30 jumps, I tried to jump with a guy yesterday and I got out first and he dove out 2nd, but we never connected, He went right past me and sunk like a rock while I seemed to be way above him.. I tried to arch to increase my fall rate but that didn't matter so I just practiced that then, rising and falling for a while... How many jumps did you have when you did your 1st scramble?
Whether you think you can or can't
either way you're right!

Organized scramble, first was at Dublin this year, at the time I was around 80ish jumps.

Jumping with other people and doing RW stuff, I was very lucky to be at a DZ that had some great coaches and the like and I was jumping with others and learning RW by jump 10 and on...

Good luck, have fun, learn lots and keep repeating that process!!

I had my 1st meet (small competition) around 70ish and 1st scrambles around 80ish... but since I got my A I started to jump 4way.
I always try to jump with experienced people so I can listen, see what they do and learn from it.
it helps me a lot.
I am small and really light compared to my teammates... and I wear a weight belt during competitions.. .try few pounds to start... that my help you a little bit.
good luck!:)

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

About 1975, and I had about 500 jumps. Have done some scrambles since. In all cases there were people with your experience involved. It is all good. Don't agonize about it. If they set the rules such that you are qualified to enter, nobody expects you to be Airspeed material.

Often, but not always, there will be a mechanism in place to make sure there is a balance of experience levels on a team. For example, in a 4-way the organizers will try to insure that there is one pro, two intermediates, and one rookie on each team.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

About 1975, and I had about 500 jumps. Have done some scrambles since. In all cases there were people with your experience involved. It is all good. Don't agonize about it. If they set the rules such that you are qualified to enter, nobody expects you to be Airspeed material.

Often, but not always, there will be a mechanism in place to make sure there is a balance of experience levels on a team. For example, in a 4-way the organizers will try to insure that there is one pro, two intermediates, and one rookie on each team.

Thats how it is for the scrambles in Hazleton. Thats what makes them fun.

You never have a team of skygods against a team of rookies.
Its just plain fun.
Thats why I drive all the way up there to play :-)
__

My mighty steed

Thanks, Yea, I wouldn't call myself small, at 123 lbs. 5'5'' but I do fall slower than everyone I jumped with so far, and I don't have a great arch so that doesn't help. Does it feel different when your wearing weights? Does it greatly affect landing? I haven't perfected that yet so I worry about that..
Whether you think you can or can't
either way you're right!

the weights do not change anything on my landings... at all.
and I usually only wear 6 pounds... I can arch and sometimes I even go lower the guys, so it's just a matter or keeping me on the "same" fall rate as the whole team together.

you can add just a few pounds to try it....

...for me it helps a lot and it's even better under canopy.
I jump a 170 PD main canopy and I'm 120 lbs and 5.6"...but I still don't feel like downsizing my main.... for me would be great to try a 150, but maybe with few more jumps I will do it.

talk to some experienced people at your DZ about it, some instructors should be able to help you :)

PMS#551

Mine was back in May, and that's the way it was set up for the teams. My team consisted of 2 big # jumpers and one girl with about 300 and myself with only about 38 or so. Another team had 3 experienced and one with around 200 or more but not much experience with RW. If they set it up this way you will have a great time and have a chance to meet and learn from some of the best at your DZ. I now have my first video of me doing 4-way!:P It's not perfect, but I have been hooked ever since then to keep working at it.

Talk with an instructor or your S&TA before adding weights to any jump, they know your abilities and will give you sound advice.

Good luck and have fun!

So you think I should pass?

Yes.

What you describe here seems like a classical situation - a woman gets invited to make hot skydives too early in her skydiving progression.

Think about the definition of a scramble. Are you going to be "scrambled" with 4 4-way techs (including the camera guy) or 4 instructors or is it going to be a group of people of mixed experience levels? Now think about how "safe" you will be on this 5-way at 30 jumps.

Learn how to say no. This skill will help you survive the skydives that you are making now - the only way to make some hot skydives in the future.
:P

Also, at this point I would not worry about wearing the extra weights on your 2-ways. ;)

What you describe here seems like a classical situation - a woman gets invited to make hot skydives too early in her skydiving progression.

Thats not what this is, dude, and its got nothing to do with her gender.
Thats a pretty big (and unreasonable) assumption.

This is a semi-annual fun event for all skill levels put on by the drop zone

These are not your "standard" 4 way scrambles.

Its just 4 way speed star. No turning points. Very low pressure.

4 folks (plus a camera person) exit a cessna one at a time and put together a 4 way star.

Thats the whole dive.

Shortest time wins.

The staff make the teams and mix the skill levels so that there are no "all skygod" teams, and no all novice teams either.

One jumper and camera person on strut. One jumper in door, 2 jumpers all the way inside.
__

My mighty steed

Yea I was told that...
I really hate having on a tight jumpsuit but I guess
I'll have to get used to that.. [:/]

my suit was ok when I got but I lost weight since then... I even thought about sending it back... but makes no difference to me.
work on your arch.

if I arch... I sink....I know it sounds weird, since I'm a small woman... but... it's true.
one of the guys that I jump with is about 100 pounds heavier than me... and when we're just fun jumping, I don't wear weights and keep up with him and everybody else.

arch arch arch...get used to it.

I will check if I have a pic of us so you can see the difference.
PMS#551

here's 1 of the latest pictures... you can see that I don't even arch too hard.... it will come naturally.

(I'm the one with white and blue arms)

Hey thats Jerry Shoe on the end. I jump with him at Cross Keys occasionally.

Well that is until he went all 4 way on me and wont jump with
us regular bums anymore ;)
__

My mighty steed

Safety should always be the first priority, fun the second.

A speed star could be even more challenging than a "regular" 5-way because the chances of having a collision on approach are much higher.

Again, a person with 30 skydives should refrain from participating in 5-ways with people of mixed experienced levels. At this point of skydiving progression, making 2-ways (preferably with experienced person) is a way better choice in terms of safety and learning.

I am going to politely disagree with your ultimate recommendation here. The event is designed for jumpers such as the original poster. They have mechanisms in place to make it safe and fun. As I said in an earlier post, I have done these events, and when properly designed, as this one seems to be, they are a good thing, especially for the relatively inexperienced.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I agree it can be done safely, if the others have a very high experience level. With one person at 30 jumps, I wouldn't want anyone with less than maybe 300 jumps on the team. Sometimes having a 2-way event is a good idea for the less experienced jumper.

Reference the fall rate thing, you need a tighter jumpsuit, maybe some weight, either a vest or in your rig (my wife, 5'5", 105 pounds, has 5 pounds of lead in her backpad), and some fall rate training, maybe the mantis position.

Also, your Vector 2 has a 170 main in it. How far does the container stick out on both sides of your waist when viewed from the front? A container that hides behnd you and rides in the small of your back will let you fall much faster and cleaner.

I He went right past me and sunk like a rock while I seemed to be way above him.. I tried to arch to increase my fall rate but that didn't matter

Were you looking down at him? That would have made you de-arch a bit and fall slower... tight jump suit helps, and weights may too - when I had your jump numbers i was a real "floater" and when I started jumping 4-way I needed a full weight belt, but as i have relaxed into my arch i have gradually dropped the weights to the point where i don't use them at all in 4-way anymore (and i have some fast fallers on my team!;)) So, improving body position will help too.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.