Blassiter

Exit Altitudes

Ever notice the lack of oxygen up there? There are rules for having to have supplemental oxygen available for all above certain altitudes 15K I believe, a pilot can answer better but that's the reason... no O2.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Generally if you go above 15K MSL (that's MSL, not AGL) you need O2. Up to about 20K generally it's in-aircraft oxygen only; above that you should really have bailout O2. Personally I've gone as high as 18,000 without any O2, 26,000 with O2 in the plane, and 31,000 with bailout oxygen. That's pushing it though.

My highest without O2 is 17,500 in the King Air 200 T tail with the long porch. That thing could climb! Highest with on-board O2 is just 23,000. Would like to do a 30K+ jump but not for what it costs.

Also, Mullins usually goes up to 14K AGL around here in the southeast, but back in the 90's, we were routinely treated to 15K skydives all day long at his DZ. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

also besides the O2 requirements above 15k some DZ's also consider turn around time for exit altitudes.

for example;
a DZ with a 182 that takes about 40min. to get 4 jumpers to 10K...well do the math, not very profitable to the DZO at that altitude much less any higher, or longer time wise. normally a tandem onboard makes it cost effective, leaving only two slots for up jumpers or only one slot if the tandem has a video, or none if two tandems. this type of operation is commonly referred to as a tandem factory. simply does not have the resources to support a higher altitude or up jumper crowd.

another example:
a DZ has a super twin otter that can bring 22 jumpers to 14k in about 10 min. all day long, the extra altitude is not that much of a problem. even with 4 tandems onboard still got room for 12-14 jumpers. everybody is happy.

so your main limiting factors are aircraft/resources, and elevation (MSL) due to O2 requirements.

exit altitude at our DZ is 14k were at sea level.:)highest 16.5k occassional 15k's which is not uncommon for DZ's in this area. with a plane that can hang of course.

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

My first wingsuit solo went to 16000' agl and the DZ was 1000' above sea level. No oxigen, but if i knew 3 girls where gonna flash the pilot, I would've jump with gloves. Looong ride with the wingsuit and it was dam cold on my hands.

ps. thanks pink mafia for the xtra altitude :)

HISPA #93
DS #419.5