GaryRay

wisdom teeth removal

alright here's the situation, i am getting my 4 teethe pulled tomorrow. its going to be a IV sedation as well, how long does 1 normally need to wait before jumping out of a plane after a operation like this, will i be able to jump saturday/sunday?
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

I'm not sure about the sedation aspect but you may want to wait a while to avoid a painful experience in the plane. My buddy had his wisdom teeth out and had very little pain on the ground but as altitude increased and air pressure got lower his pain got worse and worse to the point where he wanted to exit at 9000 feet. He left after that jump and took a few weeks off. His situation may be different from yours but it may be worthwhile doing a hop and pop before going to full height to observe if there is any change.

Borgy
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

Consult your doctor! Really man, I'd forget about the next weekend...maybe even the one after. All that wind and cold air....you're just askin' for a "dry socket" and belieeeeeeeeve me, you don't want one! :( I'm thinkin' the altitude and pressure changes might be a tad uncomfortable too but couldn't swear to it. I strongly urge caution.

alright here's the situation, i am getting my 4 teethe pulled tomorrow. its going to be a IV sedation as well, how long does 1 normally need to wait before jumping out of a plane after a operation like this, will i be able to jump saturday/sunday?

I was functional as a person on the telephone within 8 hours. But I wasn't able to chew solid foods for 3 days due to the swollen gums. Doesn't seem like a good recipe for jumping on day 4, but people vary.

been there done that, I waited 2 days and was surprised that the pressure was not bad @ about 3k, but at 5K I was screaming, I just opened the door & got out, I didnt
give of hoot where I was, I landed in a built in pool with a couple of naked fat girls who wouldnt let me drown myself

All kidding aside, the tooth pain really sucks

I ended up with two dry sockets. I missed a couple of days of work (since I can't take a prescription pain killer and still go to work, obviously) and didn't jump for nearly two weeks due to pain and discomfort. I think it really comes down to how bad the teeth were and if they were impacted, etc.

YMMV and there's always next week to skydive. If you break something then you're out for more then a week. If you die then the people on DZ.com will make fun of you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I HAD ALL 4 WISDOM TEETH PULLED AND WAS OUT OF COMMISION FOR OVER A WEEK. YOUR FACE WILL BE VERY SORE AND I COULDN'T IMAGINE JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE SO SOON AFTER SURGERY.

THAT SAID MINE WERE SEVERELY IMPACTED. THE NURSE WHO TOOK MY STITCHES OUT SAID THEY REALLY BUTCHERED ME. GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW HARD IT IS FOR THEM TO BE REMOVED.

I had just one removed, didn't bother me all that much (and I'm a WUSS). Can't remember how many days before I jumped, but I didn't exactly wait out any days, it probably just wasn't the weekend yet... No problem whatsoever with jumping. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I took a weekend off when I had mine pulled. I was hangin out at the DZ but I was pretty drugged up.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Dry sockets are really fucking painful. I got my widsom teeth out this past janurary, and got 2 dry sockets. i shit you not, I honestly think that if I had to go back and do it over again knowing how shitty it was going to be I would choose not to have the procedure, and just deal with crowded teeth.

That said, I felt great on day 3 (before the dry sockets came). Then the next day I was just drinking some milk and I washed away the blood clot that exposed the nerve ending (this is what a dry socket is). If just taking a drink can do that, I'm sure that a skydive could. And you really don't want dry sockets.. You'll see what I mean if you get them.

Call your dentist, asking a bunch of stupid skydivers is not the advice to seek, unless your talking to Joe Weber or one of the other not so stupid skydiving dentist I know. Besides that, they have their own schools, you anti-dentite!:D

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Same here...

VERY good advice to wait until you are healed up. Had 2-3 days with no pain, was EXTREMELY cautious, did everything by the book, still got two dry sockets. Very painful - that sort of pain where it's all you can think of. Not worth it. Be prudent, stay home.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

I had a pretty easy time with getting my four wisdom teeth out a few years ago. I was up and about within a day and back to eating food again in a couple days. I still took it easy for a week or so though and would recommend the same. When in doubt, sit it out.

If you get bored you can always come by the dropzone and hang out. I know your new girlfriend would be disappointed if you didn't.