Kaworu517

I want to be a skydiver

I jumped for the first time last Friday(Nov 2), and it was the greatest thing I've ever done. Ever since then, all I've been able to think about is doing it again. When I tell my friends about it, my heart starts pumping and I get all giddy and excited. It's gotten to the point that my friends are getting sick me talking about it. It was at that point that I decided I want to become a skydiver.

My tandem jump was at Skydive Las Vegas, which from looking through these boards, isn't the greatest place to jump at. But, the people were nice and funny, and I got what I wanted from them. My TI had told me that they don't do student programs because there are too many helicopters around. He recommended that I go to Skydive Mesquite, which from looking through these boards, is the best place to skydive in Nevada.

I wanted to know if anybody here has taken the student program at Skydive Mesquite, how was it, etc. Here's the outline of their program: http://www.skydivemesquite.com/learn%20to.html. Does this program look alright? How is it compared to other programs? I've read a lot about the Accelerated Free Fall program, but how does that differ from the Integrated Student Program? They don' really seem that much different to me.

Also, to anyone who's gone through a student program, how long did it take you, and how much did it cost? For SDM, the price would be just over $1000. Is that about right?

One more thing, what's required in order to be a Tandem Instructor? I only ask because my mom said she would consider jumping if she could go with me. Some friends have also shown interest in jumping if they could go with me. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this, but it never hurts to ask.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Main difference, in standard AFF you don't do tandem jumps, you start with the ground course.
During the first jumps, two instructors will keep you stable in freefall while you perform your tasks.
On later levels there will be only one.
But once you open your parachute, you're on your own.

As to a TI rating, in the Netherlands you'd need at least three years in the sport, as well as a thousand jumps, five hours of accumulated freefall time and at least one cutaway (intentional or not).
I'm not sure about the US requirements, I'm too lazy to look 'em up, but I'd expect something similar. :)
Good luck!

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Here's a good place to start learning:

USPA Skydiver's Information Manual

http://www.uspa.org/publications/index.htm

At the bottom of the left-hand frame is a link to view the SIM online (you can download it to your computer, too)

Your Mom and friends will have to wait a while if they only want to go with you as Tandem Instructer/Master.

Also, there is a button at the top of the page for "Dropzones" that will show you other DZs.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Congrats and welcome!

AFF is one method of progressing through the ISP... other methods include static-line/IAD and tandem. Most people only use one of the methods, but the ISP tries to ensure that equivalent skill sets are taught at the conclusion of each, and provides guidelines if students switch from one method to another (maybe because they change dropzones).

Becoming a TI takes awhile... you're required to have a "D" liscence, which requires 500 jumps and some other things that you shouldn't have trouble doing by the time you've got 500. You also have to go through a USPA Coach course and Tandem Instructor Course, plus the TI course for the specific gear manufacturer (Vector, Strong, or Racer). Expect the process to take a minimum of 3 years if you have decent resources and some ambition. It could be done in less time but you'd have to have a lot of time and money. (not trying to scare you away, just giving you the facts)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Skydive Mesquite is a great place. The scenery is amazing, the people are friendly, and it's fun just hanging out there.
I went through the course in the beginning of the year, and it took awhile for me, mostly because the winds would always pick up early during the warmer months. Alot of sitting around watching the winds for me.
With the course, the focus is more on the student, and how you progress.

Thanks for the information everyone.

I plan on calling Skydive Mesquite once I get some time off work. Granted that weather conditions are right, would it be possible to complete the program in a week? I have a weeks worth of vacation I need to use, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to get it done.

And it's kind of a bummer to hear that it'll take so long to be able to jump with someone. Aw well, I'll just use it as something to look forward to and keep me jumping out of planes.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

One other way to do a jump "with" your family is to become a tandem camera operator. It generally takes fewer jumps (but still several hundred) to go that route.

Also, your family and friends may simply be satisfied doing a tandem on the same load as you. You can sit in the plane together and jump out almost at the same time -- tandems usually exit the plane just after AFF students.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

If the DZ is full time (open 6 or 7 days a week) going through the training in a week is a piece of cake. My son did his training in 2 days. Class room and 2 jumps the first day then 4 jumps and graduate the next day. He and I then went up and did 2 more jumps after he graduated.
We had two days of bad weather and he still did 27 jumps and got his A license by the end of the week.

He did have the advantage of growing up around the sport and had been a packer (roughly 3000 pack jobs) for 7 years.
But even without that experience, if you have decent weather you can do the same thing. Go for it!!!

Based on how you describe your feelings, you'll never again be satisfied without skydiving.
Good luck.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

The nice thing about mesquite is that they will have a caravan all winter long....trying to figure out how to get down there so I can jump on bigbird.......she is on loan from our DZ.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!