docdialtone

Health Insurance that covers Skydivers

Health insurance, or life insurance?

psst.... read the thread title, dude!!

OP - I know there's insurance out there, but it's not cheap especially when you're including coverage for "extreme sports" - a quick search should bring up some likely websites.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Somewhat to my surprise, my insurance company assured me that medical costs as a result of skydiving are covered in my basic health insurance policy.
Damages to third parties as a result of skydiving are also covered, in the standard separate policy I had already taken out.

Only when I am travelling outside the netherlands do I need to take out "special" insurance; the same travelling insurance which covbers winter sports.

Needless to say, I guard that letter with my life. :D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Does anyone know of any companies that will cover us at a reasonable price? I am self employed and have talked to a few different companies but they all exclude extreme sports.

Well, I became unemployed and lost my our health insurance about 6 weeks ago. I immediately purchased a high deductible plan and we opened an HSA. We originally applied on line for the insurance. First quote we got was from Humana, they were the cheapest. So we started filling out the 10,000 questions. Of course first group of questions was do you skydiving, scuba, rock climb, and all the other good ones. Answer yes to skydiving (of course). They called back and said they would cover us but not for a skydiving injury. I said "bye-bye".

Blue Cross/Blue Shield never asked me any of those questions. I have coverage through them. All BCBS asked for was my last 2 years of medical records. No problem and we got coverage.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Here's a GREAT tip for just about anyone looking for quality health insurance at a reasonable rate.

The trick of course is to get a GROUP rate. If you are an individual, perhaps just lost your job, your best bet is to join your local COC. You don't need a Federal tax number...any job category will do....

Most COC's offer a plan called "Chamber Choice" it's their group health plan. Since you are now part of a group, you cannot be discrimated against....for any reason.

I was unaware that HEALTH insurance would even exclude things like skydiving. I have read and heard about people having issues getting LIFE insurance because of skydiving, but this is the first I've heard about health insurance. I guess I better make a phone call and make sure I'm covered. That seems ridiculous that health insurance would exclude a skydiving injury.