millertime24

Hard openings on a spectre?

I dont think it was the pilot chute. I always check that when A- I first cock it, B- just after securing the first 2 rubber bands to close the bag, and C- just before I close the container. Also, after first cocking it I tie an overhand knot in the bridal just at the closing pin to eunsure it doesnt become uncocked (little trick someone taught me). Then i untie it right before puting the bag in the container. It has to be either a slider or body position issue. Thanks for all the input guys and I'll try to open a bit more stable next time. And deffinately give a little more attention to detail on my pack jobs.

Putting a knot in the bridle seems like a horribly bad idea. I would suggest you run that by some other instructors/riggers/mentors. Stay safe.

Can you tell me how its a bad idea? The guy who taught me that said a rigger taught him. If it is, in fact, something that could maybe damage the bridal or have an effect on the way the pc stays cocked then by all means tell me.
Muff #5048

The only problem I can see with forgetting to untie the knot in you bridle (which won't happen because you pretty much HAVE to untie the knot to insert the closing pin) is that the pilot chute wont uncock after deployment. Since we're talking about a big, docile canopy, no big deal. All my student jumps were done on large canopies with non-collapsible pilot chutes, with no issues. Probably a different story on a little pocket rocket, though.
The best things in life are dangerous.

I dont know, it would be nearly impossible to pack it like that and not notice i think. Also depending where the knot is it could catch on the container i suppose and cause a PCIT maybe.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

The way I tie the knot is in such a way that you would have to untie it in order to put the closing pin in at all. And yes I untie the knot every time. I simply use it as an aid to keep the pc from uncocking while I'm stuffing that huge-ass 230 in its tiny little bag. But again, if anyone knows of this method damaging the bridal or any other part of the pc system then by all means let me know and Ill stop using this method.
Muff #5048

I dont think it was the pilot chute. I always check that when A- I first cock it, B- just after securing the first 2 rubber bands to close the bag, and C- just before I close the container. Also, after first cocking it I tie an overhand knot in the bridal just at the closing pin to eunsure it doesnt become uncocked (little trick someone taught me). Then i untie it right before puting the bag in the container. It has to be either a slider or body position issue. Thanks for all the input guys and I'll try to open a bit more stable next time. And deffinately give a little more attention to detail on my pack jobs.

Putting a knot in the bridle seems like a horribly bad idea. I would suggest you run that by some other instructors/riggers/mentors. Stay safe.

Can you tell me how its a bad idea? The guy who taught me that said a rigger taught him. If it is, in fact, something that could maybe damage the bridal or have an effect on the way the pc stays cocked then by all means tell me.

Miller – in no way did I intend the comment to come across harsh, it just struck me that the step seemed a bit unnecessary. I hope that I did not offend. I will say simply because I have not seen something done does not mean that it is not ok, after all, I am VERY much still a rookie in the sport. I suppose that I wanted to highlight the fact that during packing it is possible to introduce an unknown if along the way you do something unorthodox and rely on memory to check it and remove it. I offer this because there can be a lot of distractions in the packing room after a jump (video, conversation, other people, other gear) that can give you a window as a new jumper to lapse. Also, remember the big huge canopy can kill you just as quickly as a 135 even if it is not heavily loaded. From experience I can offer that when things go wrong, it can happen in an instant (I am 1:1.08 on a 210). Again, all the best and stay safe.

Hey millertime,

Sorry to hear about your hard openings. Sadly no canopy is immune to hard openings, although the Spectre is more forgiving of minor errors in packing or body position than many.

We have a document on PD's website that might help you narrow down possible causes (http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/hrdopn.pdf, see if that might be of help.
If not, please don't hesitate to get in touch with PD, we are happy to help!

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Performance Designs.com
Blue Skies Magazine

Why is that such a bad idea? I consider it a good idea, the knot in the bridle gets untied anyway and there's no chance of the pc getting uncocked by a bit.

Because often there's a way to get an extra step like that to lead to a mal... You just haven't found it yet ;) Why do it if it isn't necessary, just uncock the last bit after bagging, or not, mine opens just fine when I don't, the little bit of creep doesn't seem to affect my openings one bit. I'm always wary of "tricks" ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The way I tie the knot is in such a way that you would have to untie it in order to put the closing pin in at all. And yes I untie the knot every time. I simply use it as an aid to keep the pc from uncocking while I'm stuffing that huge-ass 230 in its tiny little bag. But again, if anyone knows of this method damaging the bridal or any other part of the pc system then by all means let me know and Ill stop using this method.

Why stop there????? I think you should tie knots in around the whole rig!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget the silver handle!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I have about 20 jumps on a new Spectre and I have been spank'd once.....what gets me is the snatch force.....I know when I'm at line-stretch!!!!!!![:/]:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

after 320 jumps on my Spectre, I got whacked for the first time yesterday. The guy next to me asked me about it on the ground. He said it looked like a long snivel followed by an almost instant opening. It was hard for sure. Not sure about the pack job, my normal packer did it for me, so I assume it was close to all the other pack jobs he's done for me. I felt like my position and other variables were near standard.

No idea why it was so hard.

MH