joeybob9

Tunnel, or Air?

I started Jumping early last year and only have 4 jumps under my belt. (Tandem, 1, fail of 2 and pass of 2). My last jump was back in April I think, so I know Im past my currency. My question is whether I should jump right to the sky or hit the tunnel to get my basics back. I am confident enough knowing the routine and drills in flight, but in terms of getting the actual fell again, would the tunnel be worth while? I live right near skyventure in Orlando, so distance isnt a matter. I started @ Z-hills and now live closer to Deland. Should I go back to Z hills, or Deland? I failed my first shot @ Level 2 and went to the tunnel just for the 2 minute flight to practice turns and they helped me out great...went the next day and had several thousand feet to play around after my jump. Any advice would be awesome. And I know I have to rejump 2, but do I have to start over completely? Im itchy to get back in the air and will be do ing so in the next couple of weeks, but it will take me 2 or 3 months to do the whole course...thank you

"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." ~da Vinci

Doing some tunnel will certainly help you get the feel back as well as build up an additional level of confidence, hence more relaxed in freefall, before getting back in the air. I wouldn't do more than 10 minutes or so and save my money for actually jumps, but hey... that's just me. ;)

Just don't neglect the canopy flight portion of the training... after all, that's what saves your life. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

The tunnel won't hurt. If you don't mind spending the money, definitely go for the tunnel. If it meant waiting 6 months to jump or something maybe not, but there's no reason not to go get a few minutes in the tunnel to build your confidence (and even learn a thing or two).

I'll be in the tunnel next wed and thurs. Can't wait!

Dave

failed my first shot @ Level 2 and went to the tunnel just for the 2 minute flight to practice turns and they helped me out great...went the next day and had several thousand feet to play around after my jump.

Sounds like you answered your own question... Good luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Both will work. If you want to jump, then jump. If you want to get in the tunnel, then do that - the extra training will certainly not go to waste when you jump again. But if skydiving is the goal and money is an issue, you're probably better off spending the money on an actual jump.

I can only answer from my perspective....i did AFF1, 2,3 and then got stuck with a few failures before i had to stop jumping for 6 months...then i went to the tunnel in Orlando and was thereafter able to rattle off all the remaining jumps to complete AFF and get my A licence in 8 days....
for me it was like night and day...before tunnel time I was unstable and frankly pretty dangerous...after the long layoff and the tunnel I repeated AFF1 and the reserve side JM released almost immediately and he was never needed again.
Not sure if it was the best value for money but it sure speeded it all up!
nb. tracking was not helped by the incremental moves made in the tunnel and, of course, my landing still sucked...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

thank you for the first hand perspective. I think IM going to do a little bit in the tunnel, then hit the air again in a few weeks. As far as restarting... do I have to rejump 1 again and take the whole course? And any reccomendations as if I should go back to zhills or give deland a shot?

"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." ~da Vinci

Just from what I have seen very recently with a close friend going through her AFF training.

Mailin did about 1 1/2 hours in the tunnel back in November with a tunnel coach that knew his stuff. Just last Friday she did her level one AFF jump out at Sebastian. Today is Sunday and she has graduated the AFF program. She is now working on her jumps to get her A license.

Mick, the guy in charge of the training at Sebastian works well with his customers in tailoring a program for them.

The tunnel is a great training tool, just make sure you get the right coach. PM me if you need any contacts or names.

I've attached a picture of Mailin's first AFF jump.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i worked with Rob Laidlaw and SkydiveU from Deland - that was a great experience and very efficient in getting me to the A in the minimum jumps. It made sense to re-start with AFF1 for me as a confidence booster but your instructor will know what is right for you...
enjoy it!
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

A student that was having problems was sent to me to get some tunnel.

In 15 seconds I had her turns fixed.

In 15 mins of tunnel with me she fixed a problem she was having and learned everything except the flips and rolls she needed to pass the program she was in.

Read her own words:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1343580#1343580

The tunnel works very well. For the cost of a rejump you can get 10-15 mins. Thats like 10-15 jumps of flying time.

If I had my way, the program I would use would be:

1. A Tandem to see if the person really wanted to learn.

2. 10-15 min of tunnel to teach all the basics of body flight.

3. One AFF jump with two JM's.

4. The remainder of tasks completed with one JM and some coach jumps.

5. 5-10 hop n pops to work only on canopy control spotting and packing.

6. 10-15 more min of tunnel.

7. A freefall test of skills.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Doing some tunnel will certainly help you get the feel back as well as build up an additional level of confidence, hence more relaxed in freefall, before getting back in the air. I wouldn't do more than 10 minutes or so and save my money for actually jumps, but hey... that's just me. ;)

10 minutes is a very good time interval. On all three of the 15s I did, fatigue set in pretty harshly by minute 12 or 13, and I was inclined to start ignoring the instructor and just play with the hover.

10 is probably the cost of a single AFF jump, so odds are it will pay for itself in a shorter sequence.