FrancoR

Is your Wingloading within the WNE Chart?

>. . . .please illustrate for me then as to how?

There's nothing wrong with asking this question, nor anything wrong with his answering it. However, if he does answer it (his choice) I would request you not bash him even if you disagree with his reasons.

Thank you Bill. I appreciate where you are coming from and honestly TRULY (I swear ;)) I had absolutley no intent of that. Winky too even entirely aside! I really, really, REALLY do want to hear from an obviously differing opinion and perspective. If I invited it, then only to "bash" it, what am I to LEARN from that? And seriously ...I really do want to learn here. It really was my reason for asking. I seriously figure there's got to be some reasoning behind this situation, and here is someone (apparently) willing to post on it. --- I really do APPRECIATE that!

You haven't had to whip out that greenie DELETE stamp" too many times on me, have you?

Again, thank you for the public reminder ...so here is my public response: I REALLY do want to hear (and will NOT "bash") Keith's perspective. As you say, if he does indeed CHOOSE to answer (which I legitimately hope ...and DESIRE that he does).

THANKS! :)-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

i am not a troll. most threads on here are ridiculous.

What is really ridiculous is jumping a reserve canopy with a WL of 1.83/1 and laughing at others. Would you not agree Keith? What is that, 65+ pounds, or 42%, over max at 5,000 msl?
Help me out here Keith.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

max tsod weight for sport reserve is 254# @ 200mph. any one regardless of man. limits. pd 99 same thing as pd 176 as far as choice i havent been terminal or any thing close to it in 2 years. 2 reserve rides on canopy one standup in peas one swoop through the gates. the canopy is fine. misjudgement is what kills. if i was a freeflyer id have a different reserve. freefall is a waste of altitude IMHO. my jumps are goals. and my goals involve high wingloadings.any advice is welcome but always crossreferenced with the canopy instructors i know and trust.

p.s. the ridiculous part is some old timer wanting the sport to go back to rounds when nobody got killed landing a canopy.......... they got killed cause the damn things didnt work. sorry if that is kinda blunt but im going back to the bonfire and out of the bickering and bullshit.
(not directed at you scrumpot)

The skies are no longer safe

I'm back

If I may deflect the thread a little, what is the appropriate max on a reserve? Say, for someone with a thousand jumps of solid experience.

The manufacturers tend to say anything over 1.1 is for experts only, but any browsing through profiles suggests it's a rarely adheared to. Is it a do as a I say, not as I do deal?

im sorry did i put any of the little laughy things beside my comments??? i am quite serious with my quest of knowledge and skills involved to pilot my canopy ive been through every canopy school out there and every canopy course that mile hi canopy flight has offered. if there are any other ones out there i will be in those too. gear cannot be blamed for deaths it is a choice what we fly it is a choice to jump out of a plane it is a choice whether we hook turn it is a choice if people pencil pack. we all make choices. just make the right ones.

I'm back

> max tsod weight for any reserve is 254# @ 200mph.

Absolutely not! You are talking about a reserve certified under an unusual part of TSO C23c, and that's far from common. Some examples:

---------Max loading Max speed
PD 113 R- 220 ---- 150kts
PD 143 R- 254 ---- 150kts
PD 281 R- 300 ---- 150kts
Tempo120 132 ---- ??
Tempo150 165 ---- ??
DashM135 182 ---- 130kts
DashM150 193 ---- 130kts

(info from manufacturer's websites and Talon II manual.)

Of course, the harness/container may have different limits; they have to be taken into consideration as well. It pays to know the limits of one's gear!

as far as choice i havent been terminal or any thing close to it in 2 years.

Suppose I should have even just guessed this with your screen name, huh? :$

my jumps are goals. and my goals involve high wingloadings.

Are you saying that what you are working on, and your "goals" are HP CReW?

And THANK YOU, seriously, for participating with me in this discussion. I *AM* (I think) learning (or at least considering) something "new" (to me) here.

-Grant
(Note: ...see Bill, I really can be sometimes, a good boy!:)
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

sorry thinking of cert drop tests

And you are wrong on test drops.

AS8015-B

4.3.4 (Continued):
a. Test weight = Maximum operating weight limit x 1.2
b. Test speed = Maximim operating speed limit x 1.2
However, test weight must be not less than 264 lb (119.7 kg) and the test speed must be not less than
180 KEAS (333.4 km/h) for reserve and emergency parachute assemblies; for dual harness parachute
assemblies for test weight must not be less than 480 lb (217.7 kg) and the test speed must not be less
than 210 KEAS (388.9 km/h).

A sport reserve, as you call it, is the same as any "approved" emergency parachute. It is tested to 264 pounds at 180 KIAS.

The manufacture sets what the operational limitations on each canopy will be and lists that on the canopy.

The operational limitations on your canopy and the field elevation you jump at is 153 pounds. A quote from the manufacture of your canopy, "This table indicates absolute maximum exit weights in pounds".

If you plan on being the best, you better learn your equipment and what it is designed to do and not do.

Sparky

thanks for researching that and putting it here. (to the moderators can we post this for future reference?) i saw pd testing the pd99 in leadville. they were droping it with like 300 pounds under it. pretty cool to see their work.

I'm back

thanks for researching that and putting it here. (to the moderators can we post this for future reference?) i saw pd testing the pd99 in leadville. they were droping it with like 300 pounds under it. pretty cool to see their work.

You know that for a fact or are you guessing? I have spent some 20 years involved in drop testing. And it is even cooler to be part of it.B|

Didn't have to research it, I use it on a regular basis.:P

Sparky

This paticular test item was 4800 pounds, I know I weighed it.

Statement of Work

For: Aerospace Equipment Research Organization
This statement of work defines the activities required of Aerospace Equipment Research Organization in support of the Rocket SST Recovery System Drop Test Number 2. The work Breakdown is as follows:

Line Item 1
Collect drop test vehicle from Irvin Aerospace Inc, Santa Ana and transport to Kingman, Arizona.

Line Item 2
Assemble drop test vehicle at Kingman Arizona and load onto C-123K aircraft.

Line Item 3
Provide aircrew as required to conduct the drop test from the C-123K aircraft.

Line Item 4
Provide Drop Zone Safety Officer and equipment as required to coordinate DZ operations.

Line Item 5
Dis-Assemble Drop Test Vehicle and return all components to Irvin Aerospace Inc, Santa Ana.

Sparky