sorc

terminal speed impact ??

hi fellows, the following might sound provoking or whatever you might think about it, but it`s a serious question though. i`m not a troll oder whatever, to be said !!

since im skydiving now for about 150 jumps i ask myself what happens to people who yould have terminal speed impact?? i mean... would you like... erm.. explode?? sure, I can imagine what happens when you slam on a hard ground like a street or parking lot, but what would happen for example on the landing lawn ?? would you jsut bounce up again? oder splatter? or on water?

could you identify people after?

this is truely a serious question!! situation might come when something bad happens and you need to help somebody, what do you have to expect??

thx for (pls) not bullshittin` me .. !

*edit: yeah i know it`s my first post, blabla, but i created the account for this question only!

When I was a student, I hated wearing the jumpsuit, because it was so hot. After complaining several times, my instructor finally told me the reason I had to wear it....."So if you bounce, we won't have to walk around picking up pieces of you.....we just pick up the jumpsuit and throw it in the back of the truck."

So my guess would be a massive explosion.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I think the way you asked this question would help show people that you are not a troll. If you filled out your profile all they way, it would convince even the most hardened Troll hunters. :)

I too think this should be at least mentioned, as unpleasant as it is.

=========Shaun ==========

yeah i will do, as is said i created the account for this specific question, i`m not so often online usually.

just workin on it

Well, even after the question is answered, Hope you stay active and enjoy DZ.com - there is a LOT of good stuff to learn on this site.

Seen a few and no ya don't 'explode' even on concrete...though the sound is definitely different.

It's been said it's not the impact that kills ya, it's the bounce...sure the initial impact busts everything up pretty good inside, but it isn't until that 2nd bounce shoving all the pointy shards through the mushy stuff that you're screwed...

The key to surviving a terminal impact is timing....ya gotta aim for grass, and when ya hit......HANG ON! :):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's been said it's not the impact that kills ya, it's the bounce...sure the initial impact busts everything up pretty good inside, but it isn't until that 2nd bounce shoving all the pointy shards through the mushy stuff that you're screwed...

I think it's a bunch of BS. Decelerating from 120 mph to 0 mph in a distance of few inches will not kill you (and hitting tyhe ground with your head at that speed)??? What are the G forces on such deceleration?

once had a guy go thru the roof of an industrial bldg .decapitated him. he was put in the morgue,,still wearing his rig.next day the dzo (accompanied by the faa guy) had to retrieve the packing data card (this rig was a jumpshack racer... anyone familiar with the location of the packing data card will appreciate that this was kind of a messy retrieval)

I remember years ago hearing about a double mal that ended with the jumper landing feet first on soft ground. It was the first time I heard the term "telescoped" being used for a leg break. He survived but his ankles were introduced to his hips.

I guess what I'm getting at is, the amount of destruction to your body would likely depend on your position at impact. Head first would probably be messier than flat on your back. Unless of course everything is nicely contained in your helmet.

Ahhh.. There's those goosebumps. [:/]

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

I remember years ago hearing about a double mal that ended with the jumper landing feet first on soft ground. It was the first time I heard the term "telescoped" being used for a leg break. He survived but his ankles were introduced to his hips.

Do you believe in the tooth fairy as well? So this guy that survived and managed to do a stand up landing... wow... I understand a WHUFFO thinking this is true but c'mon man, you are a skydiver now, Keep up!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I never called him a WHUFFO, i said, maybe when he was a whuffo he could have believed that but now he is a skydiver that he should not believe fairy tales like that.

If it is possible for a person to fall at 160-180 mph in a stand position and then land on his two feet at impact and have his 'telescope' and still be alive then ....... ah fuck that, not possible!!

I just can't believe that someone believes that, and the guy is still alive LMAO!!!! LMAO!!!!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I never called him a WHUFFO, i said, maybe when he was a whuffo he could have believed that but now he is a skydiver that he should not believe fairy tales like that.

If it is possible for a person to fall at 160-180 mph in a stand position and then land on his two feet at impact and have his 'telescope' and still be alive then ....... ah fuck that, not possible!!

I just can't believe that someone believes that, and the guy is still alive LMAO!!!! LMAO!!!!

I agree 100% - Surviving a telescoping effect on a terminal feet-first landing is kinda silly, but there are enough documented cases (like during WWII) of airmen surviving miraculously in terminal impact situations.

Guys, he said double mal, not terminal. Impact might have been at 20 mph. Drag might explain the orientation as well.

And I hope you are not implying the tooth fairy doesn't exist either. She lives right next door to Santa. They make for a better world between the both of them, don't you think?
Johan.
I am. I think.

Do you believe in the tooth fairy as well? So this guy that survived and managed to do a stand up landing... wow... I understand a WHUFFO thinking this is true but c'mon man, you are a skydiver now, Keep up!

Just repeating what I remember.

I'm gonna show my age here..

Back in the early 1980's there was a tv show called "That's Incredible!" that did stories about amazing and unbelievable events. This story in particular was about a skydiver who survived an impact. If I remember correctly, he had two out and both failed, this likely slowed his descent. As they described his injuries, they said his legs "telescoped" into themselves. I don't remember any stories about the tooth fairy.

Come on, we've all seen it, in rare cases the human body can survive a myriad of injuries that in 99% of instances, would kill anyone else. Why is it so hard to believe that a few shattered femur's, tibia's and fibula's would mean certain death? I mean, that's why they did an story on this guy. If he had died, he wouldn't have been on "That's Incredible!" he would have been on "That's The Way Shit Usually Happens!", which was a much less popular show.

This is all rather irrelevant anyway as the question wasn't about likelihood of survival; it was about how you look when you don't.

I was just always creeped out by the term "telescoped" after that.

Incidentally, I have three jumps... I'm patiently waiting for my DZ to reopen in spring so I can continue. I don't call myself a skydiver yet, I haven't earned that title.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

cause you are a skydiver, what are you talking about. You have three jumps and have committed to the training and risk your life just like the rest of us.

Dont believe everything you see on tv. i thought you said it was at terminal. If you did not then i got it wrong but was only teasing you mate.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I know you were teasing, I'm just being an ass... and I've worked in television for over 20 years. I have a pretty good handle on what to believe and what not to believe. Most times, it's a matter of embellishment, more than it is fabrication. Hell, I've been guilty of it myself... it's all part of what makes "Good TV"!:)
I'm a student. When I can pull my own rip cord, and fly in without someone on the ground radioing me in... then I'll call myself a "skydiver"... right now, I just tell people "I'm learning how to skydive.";)