Thanatos340

USPA - Jan Meyer Impeachment??

We really have very little to bitch about if we don't pay enough attention to vote.

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

I think anyone who posts on this or any other thread complaining about the USPA board should indicate in the post whether or not they voted in the last election.

For myself, yes I voted.

I also in the past have gone through the process of getting signatures of 10% of the people in my region in order to run for election and served a term on the Board as a Regional Director.

What have each of the others who are posting done to try to change things?

Don't whine about things...DO something about things.

BSBD

Harry L
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

So far I've heard Skydive Dallas... who else is in bed with Skyride? Someone has go to have the cahonies to just say it. I've seen a few dozen accusatory posts, but no names....

Let's at the very least make it known who NOT to vote for next time.

I'm seeing a lot of smack talk and accusations to this thread, but no real meat. You want to make a difference... out someone who is responsible for this mess. Sounds like Jan got (is) (will be) screwed. Who is the one doing the screwing??

Is it Glenn Bangs? Does he have interest in seeing Skyride succeed?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Right now, my interest in this is primarily because I want to see the people involved with Skyride get what they coming to them.

At this point, the worst I can do to them is take my money to CSPA, since I am slowly starting to believe that the USPA has begun to or slowly will become an extension of Skyride. Or at least a back alley envelope type partner.

I have issues with the CSPA too... but not this type of issue.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I am and have been a USPA member for 5 years, but I was under the assumption that we couldn't vote.

If I can vote.. I will. I have little information of who to vote for.. but I would sure as hell not vote for someone who has anything to do with Skyride.

A little history... I have habitually been a non-voter for most of my life (I am 30 yrs. old). In the past year I have come to see the err of my way and voted for the first time in the ON. provincial election, and have decided that I will vote for anything that I have the right to vote for. (Included in my voting process will be information gathering)

Sounds like Jan got (is) (will be) screwed. Who is the one doing the screwing??

Is it Glenn Bangs? Does he have interest in seeing Skyride succeed?

I'm not sure what one thing has to do with another.

Jan took actions of her own accord, and the USPA got sued (and lost) because of it. Regardless of the Skyride situation, she needs to be removed from the BOD to protect the USPA in the case of future litigation.

She has proven herself to be a person who can be a legal liability to the organization. By leaving her in a position of authority, the USPA would be, in effect, approving of her actions. That would constitute negligence on the part of the USPA, and would make future lawsuits nothning but an easy payday for the plantiff.

The situation of impeaching Jan is related only to the events follwing the lawsuit. If we had won the lawsuit, she would not have to go. The fact is that we did lose the lawsuit, and now we have to do 'damage control'. The first step was to settle the lawsuit, so the USPA didn't end up bankrupt. The second step is for the USPA to take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent similar situations in the future. In this case, Jan was the actor, and in turn, has to go.

This isn't rocket science people. It's simple business management.

None of this it to say that Glen Bangs isn't the spawn of satan, and that he's not trying to get rich off of skydivers backs, and using the USPA as his own personal tool to do so (which is crazy and probably not true).

Either way, the damage control remains the same. It would remain the same if the Easter bunny was running the USPA.

It would remain the same if the Easter bunny was running the USPA.

Is this a "why bother to vote" statement?

How many elections have you voted in during your USPA Memmbership?
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I will eat my words. I understand and fully agree that she has to go.

I also believe that it sounds like she was a good person trying to do the right thing, but went about it the wrong way, and ended up being screwed because of it.

She was on the BOD for the USPA and bashed the snot out of one of it's group members, who happen to be innocent untill proven guilty (legally). We all know they are shitbags, but let's just say that someone on the BOD was a competing DZO with someone else and then bashed that group member in a public forum. Damn right there would be a situation to sue. It's unfortunate, but so far Skyride has the law on their side.

I was saying that she got screwed by being caught up in a shitty situation. She bent over and took the screwing and thats her fault, but she still got screwed.

Jan took actions of her own accord, and the USPA got sued (and lost) because of it.

I've seen this stated several times, but haven't seen anything concrete said about the validity of the statement, just suppositions about Skyride requiring her removal as part of the the agreement.

Do you have actual proof that she was responsible for the countersuit against USPA?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It would remain the same if the Easter bunny was running the USPA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a "why bother to vote" statement?

How many elections have you voted in during your USPA Memmbership?

No. Please re-read my post. I provided a quote from the post I was replying to for context.

The comment I replied to was trying to make a connection between Glen Bangs, and the impeachment of Jan Myer. My assertion is that the make-up of the BOD or the EC has no influence on this situation. The loss of the lawsuit, and being to defend ourselves in a future lawsuit are the driving factors for her impeachment.

Even if there is a grand conspiracy to out Jan, the people behind it lucked out because now there are legitamate reasons for her to go.

Jan took actions of her own accord, and the USPA got sued (and lost) because of it.

I've seen this stated several times, but haven't seen anything concrete said about the validity of the statement...

Read the "What can we do about Skyride?" thread. She unloaded both barrels on her foot in that thread (If I am recalling correctly, it's been a while since I've been through that thread). Check out her website. If she wasn't the reason Skyride sued USPA then she should've been. She was out of line as a BOD member. You can't argue that.

Was it possible for her to make those arguments within the BOD (behind closed doors, like it should have been) though? I'm thinking that if this great big partnership of the USPA and Skyride exists in the bedroom like people are speculating, it would have been real tough to get her voice heard. Perhaps she went about it the only way she could have, but it was still a conflict of interest with her position to do it publicly. It's a shame because so many people were willing to, and were attempting to burn them at the stake without her. Her actions were probably a drop in the barrel of actions against Skyride.

I've seen this stated several times, but haven't seen anything concrete said about the validity of the statement, just suppositions about Skyride requiring her removal as part of the the agreement.

Jan created an anti-skyride website, and being a sitting memeber of the BOD, this action was taken as representing the position of the USPA.

If this was the actions of a private citizen, it would have been tried as a libel/slander suit. Being that it was connected to the largest trade organization in skydiving, it becomes an anti-trust suit.

In terms of her impeachment being a part of the settlement, that was a supposition on my part, and I have always represented it as such. There are other valid reasons for hew impeachment, which I have repeated several times in this thread.

Her impeachment could not have been a condition of the settlement since noone could possibly guarantee a majority vote. The impeachment hearing could have been a condition though.

if this great big partnership of the USPA and Skyride exists in the bedroom like people are speculating

I don't have any first hand information to confirm or deny a link between the BOD and Skyride.

However, if there was such a link, then why would they have voted to cancel the memberships of the Skyride owners, and the GM status of their DZs?

Let's remember that these actions were taken before the lawsuit, and had the lawsuit not reared it's ugly head, all of the Skyride DZ and owners would still be out of the USPA.

If a collusion did exist between the BOD and Skyride, why would they have given them the boot?

My only conclusion is that there is no such link.

Jan took actions of her own accord, and the USPA got sued (and lost) because of it. Regardless of the Skyride situation, she needs to be removed from the BOD to protect the USPA in the case of future litigation.

I have heard this claim yet have seen NOTHING to back it up. Could you please show me the Posts that Jan supposedly made about the Skyride Issues after the Lawsuit was filed?

In my opinion, the reason we lost this Lawsuit was that it was an Anti-trust matter and the USPA has a Group Membership program. This suit was lost from the beginning no matter what the EC is claiming that Jan did (Which no one has yet shown).

And we didn’t loose this lawsuit. This lawsuit was settled before the discovery phase was even completed. I believe that the insurance company decided it would be cheaper to settle than to fight. That is what insurance companies almost always try to do.

This isn't rocket science people. It's simple business management.

That is exactly what Skyride says when people start complaining about their unethical practices.

I guess the questions is now that we have been forced to let them back in, Do we want to adopt their business ethics (or lack thereof) too?

Why would they kick them out?

Because they couldn't ignore the lynch mob ready to burn down USPA HQ, especially since the leader of the mob was one of it's own.

That and the lawsuit from the biggest DZ in the world against someone they are affiliated with. One hand washing the other.

Perhaps if they are in bed with them, they have an interest in giving them a reason to sue. USPA President can't exactly go to the bank and withdraw the kind of money that they probably settled for without citing a good reason.

Next question: If the settlement of the lawsuit is closed book, and the financials of the USPA are open book... how's that work? Insurance cover this sort of thing?

Her impeachment could not have been a condition of the settlement since noone could possibly guarantee a majority vote. The impeachment hearing could have been a condition though.

That's a good point. Any connection to the terms of the settlement is pure speculation as the terms are sealed (most likely a clause of the settlement itself).

Jan created an anti-skyride website, and being a sitting memeber of the BOD, this action was taken as representing the position of the USPA.

These things were done long before the BOD voted to throw Skyride out.

As an elected official resenting Skydivers in the USPA, I think she had an OBLIGATION to get tat information out to the general public as people were being deceived by Skyride on a daily basis.

At the time the BOD voted to Oust Skyride, They were fully aware of the Site that Jan ran and the post that had been made.

The BOD voted to proceed anyway knowing full well the sites that Jan ran and the posts that had been made.

Now to go back and say well we lost because of that so we need to throw her out is asinine.

People are looking for a scapegoat. Jan is the convenient target.