jrcolo

newby question on wing loading

Good question. If you search a bit you'll find LONG discussions on this. Basically right now you need to stick to what your instructors are telling you. It will most likely be something between .75:1 to 1.0:1 (at the most). Canopy selection is another long debated topic with many threads. This is something that would be better explained by one of your instructors at your DZ.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Aggie gave the best advice, speak with your instructors at your DZ they know much more about your situation then anyone here. It is a hard question to answer vaguely or blind. Also, read, read, read....There are thousands of posts on this topic....There are also great books on canopy flight, and most important educate yourself, Canopy class for instance.

what is the max wingloading anyone would ever recomend flying as a student? also canopy brand or style?

An interesting question. May I ask why you are inquiring?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If you define a student as someone with less than 25 jumps, our national rules say the following:

size 170 sqft min.
wingload max 1.1

acceptable canopies:
Performance Designs: Navigator, PD F111
serie, Sabre *
AeroDyne-int: Solo
Parachutes de France: Prima, Drakkar, Turbo
Precision: Voyager student, Raven,
Super Raven, Falcon
PISA: Skymaster
Paratec: Balance
Flight Concepts: Maverick, Fury, Firelite,
Cricket, Startrac,
Sharpshuter, Raider,
Maverone, Clipper,
Manta, Manta ZP,
Cruislite
NAA: Eagle 7
Icarus: Student ZP7
Chute Shop: Zepo Student
Performance Variables: Spark Student Hybride

ciel bleu,
Saskia

what is the max wingloading anyone would ever recomend flying as a student? also canopy brand or style?

you already have a spectre 170 and you are questioned if that`s a good idea...it might be an idea to ask that question before you bought it, don`t you think!?:|

Not to mention the PDR-160 as a reserve loaded at 1.2

i did my aff class ion a fusion 190. didnt seem to bother me.

Although you probably didn't have an out landing with obstacles like fences you didn't see until you got close to the ground, didn't have a long spot that left you over the landing area without enough altitude to make a normal turn back into the wind, didn't have to land it in some one's back yard, and didn't have some one "cut you off" on landing or run in front of you. Skydiving long enough will mean all of those things happening to you.

Landing (even small) parachutes straight in without incident isn't that hard when things are going well, but it gets trickier once (several) things go wrong. Unsuccessfully dealing with (even large) parachutes when things aren't going right kills tens of people each year and breaks a lot more.

my spectre has way more flair and my landings were all great and stand up on the spectre. is it wrong to ask opinions in this sport or what?

It's good to ask. It's just that if you're doing something which is not conservative people are going to point it out, especially if you don't yet have the experience to know what you're getting into. Many of those people are tired of making the same recomendations over and over and watching what happens when people don't listen.

In regards to the even higher loading on your reserve, that any of the situaitons Drew pointed out would only be that much worse.

You're generally lower than your usual openign altitiude by the time you get a reserve over head. That just means you'll be landing that much sooner, and that you'll have fewer choices as to where you could land.

All under a canopy that is smaller than anything you have ever jumped.

And really, with 12 jumps, you have to realize that you have been exposed to a VERY small amount of experiences. You should fully expect that for the next 40 or 50 jumps, new and unusual things will most likely happen when you jump. Accordingly, your plans should be thurough and conservative, as should your equipment choices.