bodypilot90

new jumper @ 1.4333 wing loading

[snip]
Do I want to get one of his accuracy canopies? Fuck no.
[snip]

I do.

Canopy flight, under pretty much any canopy, is fun, a Foil is a high performance canopy (in its very own way), there are no less-than-high performance canopies under about 220 ft² (there are extreme performance canopies), and it's always the pilot.

These are my opinions, I voice them at the dropzone and occasionally, people hear them and listen.

Yes, I jump accuracy under a Foil and recreational CRW under a Manta. Because it's fun (to me), and because it might make people think. Occasionally, it does. Sometimes, they're truly amazed what you can do with a boat. Which, again, is fun (to me).
Johan.
I am. I think.

Boats are relative Ficus Dear....It all depends on the engines that power them

Absolutely - I get the feeling some of the folks posting in here about "boats" haven't seen the clip of Scott Miller swooping the Nav 240, huh?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

recently i had a discussion with a friend about downsizing and high wingloads with low jumpnumbers.

he quoted (i think, please correct me if i am wrong) some lines of john leblanc, who said, that there are two types of jumpers.
one is starting with bigger canopies and is mainly interested in staying up as long as possible and who enjoys slow canopy flight. Usually these jumpers stay with moderate wingloadings & canopies

the other one starts with a big canopy as a student, is downsizing to a canopy that is to small for his/her experiencelevel and downsizes again if he/she hasn't hurt him/herself for another 100 jumps or so...

the other quote he gave me was - the fabric above our heads is not our enemy, it's what keeps us flying and alive. maybe we should all keep it as simple as that
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

so please do not think that fast = fun has relevance for all of us...

I was talking about people who put themselves in danger by downsizing too quickly. If you're not one of them, then what I said obviously doesn't apply to you.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

[I think you don't understand my position. I don't think there is anything wrong with calling a 190 a boat.

Yes, your position was clear from the get go.

On the contrary, I think your attitude is harmful.

Sorry you feel that way. It's the first time I've heard conservative in skydiving is harmful.

Telling a new jumper that their 190 really is a Ferrari not only insults their intelligence, it robs you of influence.

Who's going to listen to you when you are telling them how high-performance their canopy is while someone tears across the pond at 70mph?

I would thank you not to put words into my mouth.

You may be right. But tell me why.

I don't know how else to put it so that you would understand. How about this: Using derogatory terms makes people shy away. Why would you want to make people shy away from being more conservative...especially when it comes to downsizing.

What a wonderful world it would be if conservative downsizing was "cool". Maybe fewer people would be getting hurt. You can do your part to help by being a proponent of conservative downsizing progression.

Using "boat" and similar terms for the more conservative canopies implies "uncool" in today's big scheme.

PS:
You missed my demonstration of derogatory terms in my original post when I said, "dishrag".
:D

OK..I'm done. I've made my point several times.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Mike - Can you direct me to that clip - there are a few folks that I know could use a look at it!

My apologies - evidently it's a Nav 220, not a 240. Still shows that "it's the Indian, not the arrow", no?

The clip is on Skydivingmovies.com - in fact (if I recall correctly - it was about a year ago when I took it), he uses it in his canopy course.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706