Squeak

Any one know the story behind this???

That's why I like to have a dive plan for high altitude hop n pops, or at least be jumping with people I know and trust (and have done those sorts of jumps with before. Looks like the yellow canopy got "zoomy" and was clearing his/her airspace.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

zoomy is right!!!!!

looks more like a high altitude demolition derby[:/]:|:o

i have heard of "geeking the camera" but that was too much...Plus it looked like earlier in the footage, that same yellow canopy clipped someone else....>:(>:(

where is the video,,,, from AFTER the landing..
where the camerperson punches the yellow canopy pilot right in the nose????

Well,,, at least they had lots of altitude for performing cutaways!!!

"hey ,,, you have a FUN idea???,,, for some things we can do Up In the Air??":|

"fine have at it,,,I'll stay on the GROUND,, and watch, thank you very much" :P:P

jmy

hmmm i guess you're right...
it's all about perspective... and
perhaps the cameraperson WAS agressive as well...The fisheye lens also gives that appearance of closeness...
( i viewed the footage again....) while it sure SEEMED to me, like the cameraperson was the target...... he could have also contributed to the near miss...[:/],,, or as you put it, " successful fly-by"......could well be, that all of that was choreographed and they were cool, as it transpired... i may had been misled by the earlier part of the video where most of the canopy flight seemed random...:|

NOW what would be a justifiable, explanation, for WHY two canopies tried to "get close" to one another...
especially at such a high rate of closure speed....?? and especially THAT close....hmmm could be for the very purpose of getting that sort of footage..... maybe.
only at first glance it
looked like trouble to me...
never heard of " face to face Crew ".... :);)
that's all...they had pretty fast closing speeds....

edited to add... after more thought it could well have been very under control and so,,, sorry for distracting from the question posed by Squeak... which is... "anybody know the story behind this????... it would be great to have accurate info...

jt

>NOW what would be a justifiable, explanation, for WHY two canopies tried
>to "get close" to one another.

Why do swoopers swoop near the beer line?
Why do head downers try to get close to each other?
Why do people in a diamond track try to get near each other?

Skydivers seem to do such things on a regular basis. Walk out onto the landing area of nearly any drop zone with a highly visible camera and you will discover people swooping very close to you, hoping to wind up on camera.

I asked the guy in the blue & white canopy (via text msg) which one of them wasn't paying attention. His reply was.. "Both". I'm glad they are both ok and that they learned a little something from this.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

cool... thanx for going to the source...
is "paying attention" the same as pre planning the moves???

I pay attention All the time... and even more so, to the flight paths of others... when they're coming AT me....:oB|;)...
still wondering if it was random canopy flight...
or by previous design...

my guess would be,,, random

jt

Being that it was a text msg conversation while walking through the airport, I didn't ask him that much. That being said, knowing the jumper and his #'s, which I'm guesstimating at around 150ish, I'll ask him, this was probably nothing more than a little inexperience. He's done high hop n pop's before, not sure of how many, again I'll ask. But who knows, there might have been more people than previously, different flight plan, etc.

When I get a minute I'll give him a call and either get the details or see if he'll post himself.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

*** never heard of " face to face Crew "....

Just by chance I have Steve Haley sitting next to me, CCR #1, He says that when he did his first two stack in June 1977, he and Norton, on their first jump together, opened facing each other head on, "face to face". At the last second Norton turned right, and just for grins, Steve turned left and hit Norton's center cell. It was a two stack in under ten seconds, and on each following jumps more and more was understood about top docks. Almost all base/pins were done head on as it was a much quicker way to get it done, with third and later closing from below and behind. Don't want to hijack this thread, but just thought I would comment on "face to face" CRW. ;)

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan