buba07

Building knowledge

The BPA Ops manual is not exactly the equivalent of the SIM... more like the BSR's. Definitely read it, but it won't help you with core skills or safety advice really. It merely lays out the rules which apply to you and which you must abide by.

There's no real reason why you shouldn't read the SIM - safety advice is safety advice, no matter where you jump. Just be sure when reading you remember that any rules it mentions are US rules, not British rules. Also remember that advice in the SIM may conflict with BPA teaching, so always listen to your instructor over and above the SIM - in fact that goes for any advice you read, be that here, in the SIM or in a commercially available book.

I'd be afraid the student (me) would accident'ly disconnect it. I'll stick with tracing the reserve ripcord from the housing.

I agree with tracing the ripcord. However... your comment about disconnecting the RSL suggests that you don't fully understand the RSL. If the RSL is disconnected and you are able to pull it (which may not be possible due to Velcro in shear, geometry, insufficient muscle strength, etc) it will still pull the reserve pin. I suggest that you discuss this with a rigger or instructor.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Yes I didn't think that through didn't I? :D

It wouldn't matter if I disconnected it, since the cutaway either was ineffective, or not performed for some reason (closed container/RSL disconnected in the first place).
You're trying to release the reserve manually in any case, so it doesn't matter what the 'riser end' (don't know the name) of the RSL does - as long as you hold it tight. Else you might have another floating bit you can't quite reach.

Still, like I said, I'll stick with tracing my reserve handle.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

then one choice to find the reserve cable, or try to reach behind (unlikely) worth a shot and if that doesnt work well as they say " you have 15 seconds to learn how to fly & the rest of your life to think about it" & pray for the cypress IF YOU HAVE ONE