virgin-burner

talk to your instructors! (help a retarded moron)

I have no responsibility to sway those who fail to heed the common pratice in the industry today, or at least make an attempt to become educated by one or more of the many publications availble

that's true. But why call them stupid, thus making it less likely that they'll listen, instead of just letting someone else, with more patience, work with them?

If I call your approach to dealing with hardheaded younguns piss poor, does that make you want to ask me how you should talk to them? Probably not. But then no approach works for everyone.

Even if someone is ignorant, talking to them as though they were capable of coming to the right conclusion with enough information is more likely to yield a good result (which is an informed and intelligent decision). Might not be enough, but, ya know, no one posting in this thread has bounced, so there's still hope. Calling someone stupid rarely satisfies any purpose but making the caller feel smarter than the callee.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

*roses and standing ovations for wendy"

*even more roses and standing ovations for peregrinerose*

your students must be happy folks to have you guys as instructors.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

other scenario, what if horseshoe, say bridle wrapped around your arm or leg or otherwise somehow snagged?

There are no guarantees that something can't hurt you. Including a Cypres, or even a pud vs. hard ripcord handle, or the other way around. All you can do is think through the emergency scenarios, and consider which ones are more likely, and which ones you (personally) are better able to deal with.

I have fairly short arms and am female (weaker arms generally) and don't freefly. I assume I'm going to pull with both hands, and I use a ripcord handle for my reserve. But with different scenarios, I could imagine that a pud would be a better answer for the reserve. You have to think through the scenario, and not just into it.

As far as an RSL is concerned, the biggest problem to me is the potential of opening the reserve when you're still fouled in another body (i.e. not attached to you or jettisonable -- ergo that CRW and camera are not as good with RSL). If you're fouled with your main, doesn't matter -- either you release from your risers or you don't. if you do, then your RSL is away from you with the risers. If you don't, you have to figure out why not, but it's almost certainly not the RSL. The scenario of being right over someone that's close enough that you'll open your reserve into them, but far enough that you can track away from them, and you're aware -- low on the likely tree. The scenario of spinning so fast that you spin up your reserve? Anecdotal evidence on both sides. Mine (two spinners on a Diablo) says that the reserve opens just fine. Physics says that you stop spinning almost immediately, because your body isn't really spinning on its axis, you're spinning around the main canopy -- you lose that spin when you jettison the main.

Those were my thought processes. Your best protection in any emergency situation is to have thought of the possibility ahead of time, and considered the likely downstream scenarios, so that the right decision becomes automatic. Because you might need it to be automatically fast.

BTW -- the information about kiting the canopy came from Brian Germain; I took his course last month, and it was great. I've been drug more than once, too. Not fun, but it's never hurt anything but my pride.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Quoted PA removed by slotperfect

..is in someones sigline on here. is this directed at me!? dont know who you are in that case and what your business is in this thread then.

post mindless dribble in the bonfire i like to do as well, but having to read all that "horseshit" as its been called, in order to get SOME useful information after i dont know how many pages.. i cant help but wonder!

luckilyl, there ARE idiots like me that DONT mind making themselves look like idiots and end up learning something in the end.

even luckier it is to have good people like rose and wendy that actually care to share their knowledge.

whenever there are questions regarding gear or techniques, people are always directed to use the search button. i actually do use that one, but when i open 10 threads that contain just the above information, its been discussed, use search, well, fuck that, i post that question again..

Antagonistic rant removed by slotperfect
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I'm no longer an instructor (expired 20+ years ago :P). But, something to think about -- yes, if the student failed to learn, the instructor failed to teach. But if most people are telling you (that's the rhetorical "you" in this case) that you're wrong, then you should really, really, really, consider just how much you want to argue.

And if the crusty guy in the corner with more jumps in bad conditions than most people have jumps says you're doing something stupid, even if he says it poorly, you might want to at least ask why. Let him tell you. Don't take the delivery personally; it's clear that teaching isn't his forte. But, kind of like the asshole sergeant who keeps everyone in his platoon alive in the war, he probably knows some tricks that are good in really bad times.

But don't ask him all the questions. Kind of like asking that grizzled sergeant if you should shine your boots.

Wendy W.

wendy, the WHY is the whole intention of this thread!!! *desperate sigh* :D:D:D

if you ever read any of my posts, you'll know i like a good argument. i like a good joke. maybe its hard for grizzled old men to catch that from the internet because of their eyesight, but them to just keep on going what an idiot i am.. well, that-does-not-make-sense.

i'm a new jumper. i know shit. i'm a tourist. an idiot. a retard. a moron. but i'm not stupid!

if you were in my shoes (and i'm sure EVERYBODY, even bozo and stratostar, was at some time in their jumper-career, be it 40 years ago, or fourty seconds, no mom gave birth to someone with 1000+ jumps already. wait, i know of a 2yrs old that already has 30-something jumps, but he didnt pull for himself.. :P), what would you do!? probably only 10yrs ago, access to a huge amount of people, was not so easy. except you were a ritch bitch and just traveled around the world, stoping at every dropzone.

now, all of you non-tourists, i am SOOOO sure you had your fair share of stoopid shit you've done. you were young, you were excited, you wanted to do it all! just like me! had a talk with another skydiver lately, couldnt attempt to jump a square before 100 jumps. tandemsize of course. my secondary on aff, one of my best mates in skydiving, another skygod with 13'000+ jumps had a 280 as a first canopy. i dont try to excuse my choices with progression in the sport. funny if you think about it, or is it not!?

then there seems to be a disagreement in culture. no pun intended, but the yanks seem to stay on the very conservative side of things. reasons to this is unknown to me. i have only jumped in switzerland, pretty much all over the counrty, but only switzerland.

there are many guys at my and other dropzones that jump parachutes in the 120-110 region, sub-500 jumps. i dont think this is, what was it called, standard in the industry over there, or am i wrong with that? the guy i jump with mostly just got himself a 120, that'll put him on a WL of about 1.6. 200 jumps under his belt. now listen to that: i asked him if he really felt ready for that!? VB, safety concious..? :D:D:D

anyway, point is, i come here, and i go other places, ask stupid questions.. if you want to make me think, give me something to work with. excuse me, i have a loud mouth.. i had this other thread about wingsuiting, it got HUGE..!!! flamefest, beautiful! that was on my jump 70 and 71 that i had tried a prodigy.. (i can hear people slapping themself in the face now), ONE jumper actually wrote a really nice PM to me. offered me free coaching if i'd wait for another couple of jumps. so far i have. and honestly, i'll wait 'til that number. but you know, one good suggestion can make a difference. thats all i'm asking.

shouldnt be all that difficult, even for an internet-skygod! :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

if you guys ...

Virgin, why don't you just relax a bit. :)

i really try to be relaxed, but with some peoples attitudes.. i must say, i come close to my borders..

that was supposed to be a funny part actually.. :)
you girls are awesome, at least you TRY to teach me something.. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

if you guys ...

Virgin, why don't you just relax a bit. :)

i really try to be relaxed, but with some peoples attitudes.. i must say, i come close to my borders..

that was supposed to be a funny part actually.. :)
you girls are awesome, at least you TRY to teach me something.. :)

OK. Close your borders for today and let all happen like it has to be.

In no way I'm trying to teach you something ;) That's not my job

Hopefully next time I'm in Switzerland, we'll do some jumps together ... B|B| Otherwise, just take a ride to Bad Saulgau - not too far from ZH.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

VB, if I had time to find it, I'd point you to the thread on Brian Germain's method of packing a pilot chute. It does two things at once. Greatly reduces the possibility of the PC getting stuck in the BOC due to an out of sequence deployment causing a horseshoe. If the d bag gets out of the container before the PC leaves the BOC, the PC will be extracted by that ball of shit trailing behind you. Second, if the PC isn't cocked, there is no way you can fold the PC using Brian's method. Just provides one more confirmation the PC is cocked. We tried yanking the bridle out of my BOC like would happen if my pin got popped. PC was lodged in the BOC. Tried it again after he packed it his way. Came out smooth as silk. I was converted and have shown many jumpers since.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

oh, but they have way more jumpnumbers, so they must be right!!!

Lose the attitude and the smartass replies when someone DOES give you advise and you might get better answers.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

i'm a new jumper. i know shit. i'm a tourist. an idiot. a retard. a moron. but i'm not stupid!
-----------------------------------------
well, i'm glad you clarifed that, i was getting confused:D:D
on the RSL and windy landing issue, learn to land and manage the canopy nad you won;t have to learn how or when to mess with the RSL

and rather than me saying - "ask your instructor" I'll just say: to land on a windy day, complete the flare, after both feet are firmly on the ground and you have stopped moving, let go of one toggle (the other is still pushed all the way down since you just landed), reach up with your free hand and grab the steering lines of the toggle that is in your other hand and pull them down further, do this while turning around to face the canopy, this will rapidly spin the canopy nose down into the ground

no problem and you avoid a few potential problems: forgetting to reconnect the RSL, misconnection or misrouting of the RSL - are you happy now??;)

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

VB, if I had time to find it, I'd point you to the thread on Brian Germain's method of packing a pilot chute. It does two things at once. Greatly reduces the possibility of the PC getting stuck in the BOC due to an out of sequence deployment causing a horseshoe. If the d bag gets out of the container before the PC leaves the BOC, the PC will be extracted by that ball of shit trailing behind you. Second, if the PC isn't cocked, there is no way you can fold the PC using Brian's method. Just provides one more confirmation the PC is cocked. We tried yanking the bridle out of my BOC like would happen if my pin got popped. PC was lodged in the BOC. Tried it again after he packed it his way. Came out smooth as silk. I was converted and have shown many jumpers since.

i have subscribed to his utube-account and have seen the video on how to do it. last time i packed, i tried his method. my rig has since been in service to have my slider fixed and to have "the ball" installed to stop the annoying flubble-flubble..

brian's a great man that obviously loves to share his wealth of knowledge, and i'm gladly there to suck it all up. provided, anyone else cares to share their wealth, i'm just as ready to suck that up too! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Wow.... I dont even read this and many other forums, but after I posted a question and you replied with an ignorant and arrogant answer (yet again), i had to go look at your profile.

What can i say? you're pretty typical, nothing most of us havent seen before. 100 jump wonder with 2500 posts in one year. Knows slightly more then nothing, yet has a strong opinion on all things related to skydiving.

Every once in a while people like you pop up on these forums. Arrogant and ignorant in their opinions, they seem slightly mentally unstable. I usually dont even reply - they'll disappear as quickly as they came. but I'll make an exception for you.

some of the moderators actions seem not rational.

It usually seems that way when you're mentally ill. Everyone is out to get you, everyone is trying to hurt you.

repeated PA's via PM do not seem to bother the moderators

Thats why there is PM so you can take any PERSONAL business to PERSONAL messages. Tell me though.... does that happen a lot to you?

frost jumped at my throat for that. an unknown to me jumper. i will also forward his PM's to you if you wish so. so much for whistle-blowing in this case..

I asked you some valid questions: Why at your experience level wouldnt you jump an RSL? What kind of professional video set up that is prone to line snags do you jump? And i offered you to educate yourself and rethink the subject. Unfortunately, you wont consider that. Ignorance is bliss, because some 10000 jump man told you so.

but who is all the time, especially in the lights of the current tragedy. my sincere condolences to all involved. my sincere apology to those that felt offended. i was an inappropriate thing to do. i was an idiot. again, nobody's perfect all the time..

You know, you wouldnt have to apologize if only you would think before posting. But like most people of your kind you speak before talking.

I am pretty sure my comments are wasted on you...

Lose the attitude and the smartass replies when someone DOES give you advise and you might get better answers.

MIKE!!! my friend, i love to listen! but for that to happen, someone must tell!!! :)
come on, making smartass comments, they amuse you too. it gets people out of their comfort zone, and loosens the atmosphere..

if things get serious, i'm the first to sit down with you, and say: "ok, now i let you talk, please!"

i had a low pull as student, to fixated on docking the bastard. nobody came up to me first, i went to cash the shit. i didnt say a word. i was ready to quit. i learned from that..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, you made me laugh on this one... I'm assuming by 'the ball', you mean the bungee/ball system that attaches to the reserve flap so you can stow your slider behind your head.

You're concerned about an RSL and afraid of a horseshoe, but you're not concerned about attaching the slider to your reserve container???? Sweet irony entertains me greatly.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

you're the fucking man bill! (seriously)

now, to add again to your confusion (and mine), couple of posts further up, wendy told me about her course with brian germain and a technique called "kiting the canopy"? i must say, that is now very varying if i read everything right.

maybe add: i speak a fairly well english. still its not my first language..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

will there be a point when you realize how silly you make yourself look with all this nonsense blabber? Look! People are laughing at you. But you wont stop, will you?... Sad.

For the record, I wasn't laughing at him, only the irony of his decision making of one thing compared to another. It's just one of those warped things that struck my funny bone and I didn't mean to come across as ridiculing him.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

MIKE!!! my friend, i love to listen! but for that to happen, someone must tell!!! :)
come on, making smartass comments, they amuse you too. it gets people out of their comfort zone, and loosens the atmosphere..

You've got people here trying to give you good info - and you're blowing them off with attitude and smartass answers, and THEN getting pissed off when they snap back at you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

mike, i cant recall word-for-word in that other thread.. what i can remember and even still can look up is your messages to me. honestly mate (i'm not your mate, i know.. :|), here you go again. mentally ill. usually i have pleasant PM-conversations, not so with you. the 10000 jump man is my mentor, no need to diss him. i gave reasons in this thread, if you take your time to read through those walls of text, maybe you get an idea. well, what did i say about you: i know the fuck who you are, you'd probably advise me to listen to my instructors, yea, mr. 10k+ skygod.

why not stay friendly. for all we know, we'll share a plane or even a skydive at some stage. maybe. the PM's you sent, were, well.. i refuse to comment further on those..

if i'm a retarded moron, do your best and fix it. jumpingwise and knowledge that is. i'm sure you know what you are talking about, but fucks sake, no need to get verbally abusive about it. surely, i wont listen if you start calling me names!?! would you?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i got my settings to have the most posts on one site, so i dont know how many pages this must be by now. now people are starting to give good advice. why does it take that long? why does it need all that banter to come to a point where an actual discussion is possible?

to me it seems you completely have to piss people off before something useful comes out. this is annoying to me too! :S

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, you made me laugh on this one... I'm assuming by 'the ball', you mean the bungee/ball system that attaches to the reserve flap so you can stow your slider behind your head.

You're concerned about an RSL and afraid of a horseshoe, but you're not concerned about attaching the slider to your reserve container???? Sweet irony entertains me greatly.

i soon start to cry.. it will NOT be attached to my reserve. it'll actually be sewn with a few stitches to the harness. A FEW STITCHES.. the guy that does it, should know his shit.. my god, communication on the internet, maybe it just should not be allowed anymore..

this is exhausting!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda