SwiftCurse

AFF at age 16 possible?

Don't listen to him. If your parents are supportive then just go to Lodi and have a blast. Bill and Cathy are wonderful people. They have been around skydiving forever. If they want to train 16yr olds then go for it. We would happily train you, but we're a couple of thousand miles away.:P

So i am allowed to be in a wind tunnel at age 16?

3 year olds are allowed in the tunnel.

This is a liability schism that is a bit wrong. Minors can ski, scuba dive, ride horses, and do a host of other hazardous activities and the legal climate is healthy enough for businesses. The waivers are no more valid. Maybe it is just scale - there is enough business from youngsters to make it work.

i see your point as well skittles_of_SDC

and who cares how much money i have that is not what the point of this topic is about...

I was just trying to let you know that if you become addicted (which is likely) it will end up costing you every penny you have. Enjoy ... :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I would try Lodi. They seem pretty loose.

Seriously, can't you just wait another 2 years?

Maybe he is worried that the world is about to end. You know with the polar ice caps melting and all:S:S:S:S Dont worry your local liberal moderators are about to step in and protect your iignorant ass from having to see this. Ohh and PM sent B|B|

I would try Lodi. They seem pretty loose.

Maybe he is worried that the world is about to end. You know with the polar ice caps melting and all:S:S:S:S Dont worry your local liberal moderators are about to step in and protect your iignorant ass from having to see this. Ohh and PM sent B|B|

Or maybe he is 16 and doesn't want to wait 'till some people think they should when clearly some centres do train people at age 16.

So i am allowed to be in a wind tunnel at age 16?

3 year olds are allowed in the tunnel.

This is a liability schism that is a bit wrong. Minors can ski, scuba dive, ride horses, and do a host of other hazardous activities and the legal climate is healthy enough for businesses. The waivers are no more valid. Maybe it is just scale - there is enough business from youngsters to make it work.

Comparatively speaking, probably due to the real or perceived enhanced risk of death in skydiving.

I didn't. :P Neither did my kids.

"General rules" play to perceived "average" situations. As a general rule, I think 16 yr olds are too young to skydive. My main reason for thinking that is due to age-appropriate naivete: I think the average 16 yr old does not have a sufficient appreciation of the risks of being killed or maimed by it, and also tends to over-estimate his own skills, especially at pulling himself out of the corner. (Look at the way 16 yrs olds, especially boys, drive.)

Legalities aside, I'd make an exception on an individual basis for a 16 yr old that truly did have that understanding (and express parental consent). I suppose that having parent(s) who already are experienced skydivers in their own right is one way to impart that understanding.

As a legal waiver it is likely not worth anything; as evidence of "informed consent" I think it is very valuable.

Hey, good point. I've had clients who are DZO, jump plane owners, gear vendors/renters, etc. I've always been a strong advocate of waivers being as detailed and comprehensive as possible. So in this context, the more detail, the more "informed" the "consent".

Oh, P.S. - your point, while good, still only applies to the kid's parents re: their own potential claims (not any claims they might assert on behalf of the kid). Generally speaking (with some exceptions), a minor is deemed legally incompetent to form "informed consent" on most matters. On a practical level, it would be a real pre-trial battle over whether the judge would or would not admit that into evidence at trial.

thanks for all the great info everyone...
And for the people who talked about DZ's in other states should read the first postB|
Cause if you DID read the very first post i am looking for them in CA and so far its looking like only Lodi is willing to give me AFF training at age 16...

So have you actually picked up the phone and called Lodi to confirm whether you can do AFF there? Inquiring minds want to know if that's still an option (and are also a little curious to see if you have some of the initiative and self-reliance it takes to do well in this sport ;)).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So let's see, Lodi is your best bet (as of right now)...

You could call them and see what they say...but
I wouldn't even call, I would just start to hang out at the DZ, get to know everyone, watch, ask questions, let your interest be known for a couple weeks....

learn everything you can during this time period (as you save your money) and get to know the staff. So whenever you approach them finally, as a 16 year old looking to do AFF, they will take your approach way more seriously if they already know your level of interest / dedication / motivation

you are more likely to achieve your goal this way.

good luck! i am getting my daughter in the sky by 16 ;) but she has no choice but to do what I have just told you.

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen