skittles_of_SDC

pull altitude for more advanced jumpers.

Hi Skit,
'Well I don't know where you pull at but on pg 2 read Zig Zag's post, it has the BSR's on pull alts.

The BSRs also suggest a 1800' decision altitude for a cutaway. Obviously that only goes with a 2000' pack opening altitude when your canopy opens in just 200' at terminal which is not the case for most people's canopies.

The pull altitude BSRs also haven't changed since we got canopies with faster malfunction modes (I prefer to open high enough that after chopping a spinning malfunction I can flip right side up, stop spinning, and then pull).

Hi Eck,
Note that I said that you can pull at any alt "ABOVE" the BSR min's!! Every canopy has its quirks about opening and the pilot has to take that into consideration for setting his/her uncorking alt. Go where ever your comfort zone takes "YOU!!!!!" Got that?
Also the pull alts havn't chged but the canopies have well far out!!!! Not everybody jumps a hi-speed micro so that doesn't mean that everybody has to pull in outer space!! If I had a micro I'd pull higher too!! My bones don't bend like they used to when I was 19 so these daze I like a canopy with a few more sq ft for easier landings (and longer glides!!). For a ZP elipt, my Stiletto 190 does just fine!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

As a genral rule I pull at 3k, as I enjoy flying the canopy, and feel that leaves me plenty of time to handle a mal. But every once in a while, especially when I am at a new DZ, I like to burn it all the way down and pitch at EXACTLY two grand. I do this because my canopy opens relatively slowly (though in about 500 feet) and because it scares the CRAP out of people watching on the ground. I think this is a good thing, because frankly the BSRs ought to be re-written with higher hard decks, and only when people SEE exactly HOW freaking LOW 2k is do they start to think about it.

I pull between 3000-3500ft........I like having time to "work shit out" if needed.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Dear little Timmy!<
Pulling at 2k isn't going to upset any but the really gullible whuffs. What you really need to do is as you're tracking off, look down at someone laying down on the grass watching the dives and get right over the top of them....Got that? Then hum it on down till they can see your goggles and shoe laces, get scared, get up and run like hell. Got that? Then you pull!! When you get under canopy, yell down to them, "Hahahahah made ya' move, made ya' move!!!!" My friend Kerry Smith from Indiana told that story about some dude at his old home DZ!!! I still don't think you are going to get anyone to up the floor of the opening alts for the BSR's any time soon. So go out in the back 40 and play with Lassie.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Dear little Timmy!Pulling at 2k isn't going to upset any but the really gullible whuffs. What you really need to do is as you're tracking off, look down at someone laying down on the grass watching the dives and get right over the top of them....Got that? Then hum it on down till they can see your goggles and shoe laces, get scared, get up and run like hell. Got that? Then you pull!! When you get under canopy, yell down to them, "Hahahahah made ya' move, made ya' move!!!!" My friend Kerry Smith from Indiana told that story about some dude at his old home DZ!!! I still don't think you are going to get anyone to up the floor of the opening alts for the BSR's any time soon. So go out in the back 40 and play with Lassie.

And if you're REALLY good: :$

~ you can throw out the BSR's altogether, and go with the ole S-H-P designated pull altitude standards.

No, it doesn't stand for Super High Performance...it has to do with the pucker factor.

Sledge Hammer & Pin method~:)

When you get low enough ya couldn't pound a Pin in yer ass with a Sledge Hammer..........PULL! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

50 % of the time just above 1500 ft.... but it depends if i have my aad on or not.

having a cypress fire would just be plain stupid

A mal, too.
You're my hero.

:|

I've never been anyones hero b4....
Apart from those blind, wheelchair kids i pulled from the burning oil refinary....

As a slighty on post subject on my 28th jump or so, i was getting some fs coaching from a chap who's name i won't mention, I had got a bit of a telling off the day b4 due to an unintentional low pull,as i had read from the back of my newly aquired log book that quallified jumpers could / should pull at 2000 ft, (i did not think how qualified, i just saw qualifed, or me)

So off me and the coach went, spinning around practicing bits and pieces, i have quite good depth perseption, and i'm thinking, shag i must be around 5000 ft or so , alti's reading 6500 so i continue with my turns, look back at my instructor, who waves at me with one hand and buggers off.

Now i'm thinking "cool" a bit of added tracking practice , i guess i should follow him, so off i go, 8 m's behind him following him for a good 6 -7 seconds, he then stops turns around to see my grinning face giving him the double thumbs up,(i'm thinking he must be very proud of me right now) now if my broken alti had been working it would have told me we were at 2500 ft rather than at 4500. but no ammount of waving or giving my the finger would encourage me to pull, at 1800f ft i decided the ants had started to look to much like people, tracked for a second and dumped my pilot chute, had a cool 1100 ft canopy ride to terra firma.
(his hard deck beeper had gone off as i was about to pull)

What i learnt that day about pulling low....

Don't roll the nose of your canopy, it could save your life.
Rap students love a hero.
When your in trouble with the cci, blame your equipment, or concuct a story with your fs coach.
Buy beer when you do somthing stupid, its amazing how many other people have beenstupid nce a beers inside them at the DZ
Check your equipment on the way up not just on the way down...

Stay safe munchkins

...it also insures not a lotta folks are down there with me which is safer in my book these days! :|

Good point. Sometimes if there are a lot of people in the air it helps to let them start taking themselves out of the picture. I've done that a few times and am still at line stretch as my hard deck goes off at 2 grand. The onetime extreme of this was a big hybrid jump, where a lot of silly ass people were tracking around on their backs with silly grins, instead of getting the fuck out of the area. I dodged 'em all and sat in around 1200 ft. My immediate reaction was to feel around my back to make sure my reserve container was still closed.

That's when my wife and daughters decided to give me my Pro Dytter for a birthday present.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !