PeregrineFalcon

Getting A license...procedure

After someone goes through AFF, do they still need to jump with a JM to get their A licence? If so, how many times? I know 25 jumps are needed, but how many of the 18 jumps after AFF have to be with a JM? Lastly, how much does it cost to have him observe you on these jumps? I know all DZ's are different, but about how much?

Thanks for the help.

Once you clear the basic AFF skills (usually 7 jumps) you can start self-supervising. You will have to perform a few coach jumps, and at least one jump with a jumpmaster (your A license check).

Coach jumps I have seen range from free (some people just like to mentor and pay for there own ticket) to $50. It seems usual that if you hunt down a coach and buy a ticket, you're probably good to go.

I've seen people clear all their skills in 1 packed coach dive (docking, swooping, alt adjust, tracking) but it probably should take 2 or 3 coach dives.

Since there's no mention of your location in your profile, the assumption is that you are in the U.S.:

I'm surprised that your instructors didn't mention to you...Skydiver Information Manual (SIM).

Get youself a copy, read it, learn it. Nearly everything you need to know is in there. Knowledge is power.

Some other country? Other contries have similar documents. Obtain the one that applies to you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While the SIMS can answer your first question it really doesn't address your other questions. In answer to your second and third questions. A student needs to have an instructor sign off the requirements necessary for an A-license. This can happen durring AFF and on any subseqent skydive where an instructor can observe the required task. However, there is no set answer because it depends on the proficiency of the student.

Question 4 - Regarding cost it can be as someone stated above free or an instuctor may charge for slot plus an addtional fee. Of course for a person paying an instructor that usually implies that the instructor will give an extended training session and that the instructor will also provide a valuable debrief. It isn't just a jump.

Good luck with your training. :)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Depends on the dropzone. Some places you can do as many solo jumps as you want once you are cleared to self supervise. It's then your responsiblity to get a coach if you want to get any part of your A license checked off. Some people were simply happy doing solos and never got the A license others went straight to coaching and had the card filled out prior to getting 25 jumps.

Other dropzones can have a more structed program where solos are highly discouraged. They have a program in in place where you do so many coached jumps with the expectation of doing your A license check dive after all the coach jumps. One example is you must do 10ish coached dives and then your check dive with an AFF instructor.

Call your dropzone and find out.

Not all dropzones follow the ISP outlined in the SIMS. Those dropzones will use a one page proficiency card with different requirements than the two page card used with the ISP. I suspect that DZOs using the ISP may be able to answer your questions, and DZOs who do not follow the ISP will be hard pressed to answer them. In either case, how quickly you get your A depends entirely on you--the effort you make in the ground prep and air, and the effort you make in the "book" stuff at home. Good luck!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Ok, very cool. Lot's of great responses that help a lot. The DZ is Hollister, CA. It's pretty small compared to the other two I've been to. I had four jumps at Perris Valley about 14 years ago. Then got back into it and did AFF 1 in Byron, but the winds are too much to continue, so I went to Hollister. The JM working with me has been pushing me, saying I'm ahead of the curve. After my level 2 there, they sent me with just one JM for level three where I did my release dive and my 90 degree turns. Then at level 4, I did 360 turns. I'm going to level 5 this weekend. At first I thought he was pushing me to save money (1 less JM on level 3) and I asked him straight out. But he said my positioning was good enough and I'll be damned, I was stable. I didn't even feel him letting go of me. Plus, I saw him NOT pushing another student, being extra careful with him, so I'm learning to trust the JM. I'm hoping when it's time for coaching it doesn't cost too much.