Broke

What to do with an old canopy?

Ok so I have an old canopy that I am wondering what to do with it.

It is an old Glide Path Fury 220. DOM is in the year 1987. Number of jumps are unknown. Has a couple of patches on it. As I was taking it off my rig to install the newer canopy The french links split and some of the lines at the attachment point have been cut into a little, otherwise the lines are in just about as decent a condition as the canopy is in.

I would say that if you got the lines fixed it would be jumpable, but it would cost more to get the lines fixed than the canopy is worth.

Part of me thinks it wouldlook pretty cool just hanging on my cealing in my living room, and if I ever decide to start to learn to become a rigger I can use it so practice patching, and other skills that I will need to learn.

So any ideas?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I've got an old BASE canopy up on my wall. At first it was just for decoration, but I've realized that it is very useful for teaching packing classes to have it there. It clearly shows how the canopy is constructed. You can show all the line groups, seams, ribs, and all that jazz.

At the dropzone we've got an old canopy we attached to a radio flyer wagon and use it for days we're winded out.

You can also use it for conducting water training.

Hell use it as a blanket to sleep at night. Or maybe a hammock.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Fury canopies were very popular in B.A.S.E. before dedicated BASE canopies became available. And B.A.S.E. jumpers are always looking for these types of canopies for water jumps or as "B" gear.

An exceptionally airworthy Fury, Pegasus, or Unit is worth about three hundred dollars on the BASE market. And a decent rigger could repair the lines and slap a tailpocket on it in about an hour.

Bridge Day is coming up in a month or so. So there's always demand for seven cell canopies around this time.

Crawl up inside the cells and check for any separation in the seams. And while you're in there check around under the bridle attachment point on both sides of the center cell for any problems.

Then gently, but not too gently, do a thumb test on the various parts of the fabric especially the end cells. Use the flat part of your thumb, and not your fingernail! But don't go gorilla on it! You are just checking for UV damage. If it doesn't give way like a dry paper towel its probably all right.

Then take some photos and go over to basejumper.com classifieds and sell it. Just be as honest about the condition as possible.

Canopies, like aircraft, are meant to fly, so give the old girl another chance!

NickD :)

Everyone knows you are supposed to put it on an old harness and tie it off behind an SUV.

Then, take turns with your friends parasailing and make sure you get good video.

Not to be a buzz-kill, but using a square canopy (rather than a round) to parasail, especially on land, is a good way to break yourself.

Everyone knows you are supposed to put it on an old harness and tie it off behind an SUV.

Then, take turns with your friends parasailing and make sure you get good video.

Not to be a buzz-kill, but using a square canopy (rather than a round) to parasail, especially on land, is a good way to break yourself.

That was sarcasm :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Give it away. For extra credit, get it fixed first, then give it away.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)