chuckakers

Non-Injury - 4 way CYPRES fire - Skydive Dallas?

I don't know what the altitude was exactly but it was a normal altitude load. ~13,500

They apparently lost track of time and either didn't hear their audible, audible was broken or didn't have one. One person miss read their altimiter. 3 had two out and one just the reserve.

I know all of the people involved and the info was from one of them.

No one was hurt and they are all alive so they can all learn from this.

Well folks, here's another fine example of what this sport has come to.

Can you even imagine being on a load where not a single person out of four notices the rapidly growing ground, hears an audible devise, has an internal alarm clock go off, or even notices a visual altimeter?

Get out of the sky before you do something else magnificently stupid and kill someone whose only mistake is jumping with you.

Un-f*cking-believable.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Un-f*cking-believable.

I'll second that!!! [:/]
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

... Well folks, here's another fine example of what this sport has come to. ...

This sort of thing has been happening since the dawn of skydiving time. "accidental" low pulls are part of the landscape. In the old days, this would have been four guys grounded for pulling low. It seems that they realized what was going on, just later than they should have.

Don't think that I am making less of it than it was. I'd have reamed and grounded them too, and did in the old days when I was in a position to do so. This turned out OK. Several people got a good lesson out of it, and nobody died, and there is a good story to tell. These things have happened before and will happen again, even to experienced, current skydivers.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Well folks, here's another fine example of what this sport has come to.

Can you even imagine being on a load where not a single person out of four notices the rapidly growing ground, hears an audible devise, has an internal alarm clock go off, or even notices a visual altimeter?

Get out of the sky before you do something else magnificently stupid and kill someone whose only mistake is jumping with you.

Un-f*cking-believable.

This isn't so new. I'm pretty sure I've heard of a 4-way that went in together a few decades ago. And I was almost part of one in the early '80's;

We were doing 4-way with a couple low-time guys, and a base-man who was built like a cannonball and had made very few jumps in recent years.

I was 4th out of the Cessna at 7500'. After watching the pin-man fail a couple times to catch the base, I got impatient and made a couple attempts. I had to fly in damn near on my head, and both times as soon as I flattened out, I corked. On the third attempt, I dove about 30' below him, then flew an inverted final up to him and caught him. At this point the pin man joined us, then I looked around for the guy who exited 3rd. He was coming in with a nice approach about 20' out. Time for an altimeter check, so I looked down at my chest-mount.

1100'. WHAT THE FUCK!!!!:o:o:o:o
I broke my grips, and went into a backslide dumping as I went. Then as I went through opening, I looked down hoping like hell to see 3 canopies open. Everyone made it, with the base man opening last. I don't think he even had time to release his brakes or turn into the wind.

Oh, and:
- I was making the first jump on a borrowed rig that I was considering buying.
- The base man was the DZO.
- The DZO had just given a low-time chick grief about opening low earlier that day.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

... Well folks, here's another fine example of what this sport has come to. ...

This sort of thing has been happening since the dawn of skydiving time. "accidental" low pulls are part of the landscape. In the old days, this would have been four guys grounded for pulling low.

In the old days there weren't multiple people in the group wearing multiple altitude sensing devises. And in general, we hear of a bunch more of this kind of crap than ever.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

- I was making the first jump on a borrowed rig that I was considering buying.

You bought the rig, right?:D

Actually, no; I didn't have the money at the time. Afterward, the guy asked me:

"So how did it fly?"

And I had to say:

"Well, I don't really know, but it opens , turns into the wind, and lands just fine."

They had to send the DZ van upwind to pick us up from the cornfield where we all landed. The DZO got in w/o saying a word. At the DZ, he got out, carried his shit back to the rigging room, and locked the door. At that time someone hollered out to the chick who he had earlier chastised for opening low:

"Hey Jenny! Go back there and talk to Jeff about opening low!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the old days there weren't multiple people in the group wearing multiple altitude sensing devises. And in general, we hear of a bunch more of this kind of crap than ever.

being a lowtimer freeflying my ass off, i was told in order to freefly, besides having a rig suitable, i'd need at least one audible. better to have two. which i do.

both are set to nearly identical altitudes, slightly set off, so it rings first left then right at break-off, same for opening altitude. usually i gaze at my altimeter just before break-off, while separating, i rely on my audible to tell me to stop tracking and pull.

what you're saying is, that is wrong?

i might add, i'm a dirty high puller, i break away at around 5000ft, and pull around 3500ft. i like to keep a little altitude to deal with stuff that might occur, but since i'm always packing myself, i'm quite confident to have a working canopy above my head, i can find a nice spot in the pattern, bla-bla-bla..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

... i rely on my audible to tell me to stop tracking and pull.

what you're saying is, that is wrong?.

Yes, most definitely, yes.
Train your eyes.

You're scaring me, dude.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

being a lowtimer freeflying my ass off, i was told in order to freefly, besides having a rig suitable, i'd need at least one audible. better to have two. which i do.

both are set to nearly identical altitudes, slightly set off, so it rings first left then right at break-off, same for opening altitude. usually i gaze at my altimeter just before break-off, while separating, i rely on my audible to tell me to stop tracking and pull.

what you're saying is, that is wrong?

i might add, i'm a dirty high puller, i break away at around 5000ft, and pull around 3500ft. i like to keep a little altitude to deal with stuff that might occur, but since i'm always packing myself, i'm quite confident to have a working canopy above my head, i can find a nice spot in the pattern, bla-bla-bla..

No, you're not worng - you're very right as far as using multiple devises. My point in that response was that with all the altitude sensing devises we use today, busting altitudes is more unforgivable than ever.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

i do train my eyes, as far as separation goes, 1500 meters is where the "green-factor" becomes somewhat intriguing.

check altimeter. (notice audible going off)

then track the shit away from everybody.

green becomes very intriguing. (a little groundrush too already, notice audible again)

wave off, pull.

being a dirty high puller, i always want to start things before i hear my audible(s). i think my inner clock is quite well developed. i started freeflying pretty much after i got my license, so i'm having more jumps (say around 100) on the darker (hence faster) side. jumping at another place where you're required to pull between 900-700 meters (3000-2300ft or so). for me that was kinda scary, watching altitude burn down from like 1200meters on on my altimeter.

and those 3000ft hop n'pops are also not really my cup of tea. they're nice for the fear-factor tough.. i just clear and pull..

i didnt mean to say i solely rely on my audible really. well, yes, i did, but i'm noticing other things too before that. whats more important (to me) is that i got into the habbit of being on the higher altitude side of things. if everything would fail, i'm sure i'd realize it before my cypres does.

i wrote that in another post, if that ever happens, there will probably be a rig for free in the classifieds.. falling into your cypres, thats a reason to re-evaluate your choices. and maybe ground yourself for life. :|

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Or perhaps the 1 person who didn't have 2 out "won". I hope, if that was the case, that his teammates bought the beer.
Owned by Remi #?

wrote that in another post, if that ever happens, there will probably be a rig for free in the classifieds.. falling into your cypres, thats a reason to re-evaluate your choices. and maybe ground yourself for life.

If I'd grounded myself after the first time I opened low, I'D'A MISSED OUT ON A LOTTA FUN, MAN!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

wrote that in another post, if that ever happens, there will probably be a rig for free in the classifieds.. falling into your cypres, thats a reason to re-evaluate your choices. and maybe ground yourself for life.

If I'd grounded myself after the first time I opened low, I'D'A MISSED OUT ON A LOTTA FUN, MAN!

opening low may not be gross negligence.. but falling into your cypres is! ;)

again, i'm a dirty high puller, so.. but thats just my point of view..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

>while separating, i rely on my audible to tell me to stop tracking and pull.

>what you're saying is, that is wrong?

Yes. You are trusting your life to a few dollars of electronics bought from the lowest bidder.

did you read my next post clarifying!? at least i'm keeping an eye on the ground while in a track.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda