LuckyMcSwervy

Your Own Spectators = Distraction?

OK, this has been bothering me for about a week so I'll toss it out there.....

I had some friends come to watch my first 2 AFF jumps. For AFF 1 they got there too late (I didn't know there were coming and they got me while I was walking to my car). We sat around and watched for a bit until I couldn't take the heat anymore and we left to go eat.

They showed up the next day (I didn't know they were coming again) for my AFF 2 jump. I saw them over by the snack bar and walked over and we talked a bit before I got called by my instructor.

Now, knowing they were there waiting on me sucked. It was 4 hours from when they got there to when I jumped. I love them all like my brothers and they kinda show me support (even if one of them says he's there to see me go splat because that's the only way he could "hit it" while I'm warm - yeah it's messed up, so is he), but I felt like I had to keep going over to them and talk. It was really distracting and I told them I have to walk away for a while clear my head, think about my jump and go watch then landings, the wind sock, all of that stuff.
But I did hand over my camera to them so I had some pics for myself. :P

I called my Dad when I got home that night and told him not to come up and watch me because I've never been so distracted by people in my life. It's like I have to prove something to them watching - and I've never been like that in my life. Luckily, Pops isn't too keen on watching anyway, so he said he understood. He does like to watch the video though. :P

Does anyone else feel this way or is this a newbie thing???

Karen
:)
Always be kinder than you feel.

It sucks having friends watch during AFF, I had a friend wait 4 hours until I jumped and I felt like I had to entertain him the whole time. It sucked even more cuz we land 10 miles from the DZ. AFF is not the time for any preventable distractions either.

I never had any of my family or friends there while I was doing AFF. Other than the fact that it would have been nice to have someone snap some pictures, I think it would have been more of a distraction than anything else. There will be plenty of time for picture taking and memory making later on :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

MANY people (saw one just a couple weeks ago) get hurt because they're geeking a camera. Saw an AFF student screw a dive because he was geeking a camera that was there to be used as a training tool.
Many people have chowed because they were paying attention to the sidelines rather than to their own business. A few haven't survived.

It'll all come in time. Right now, you have what....three minutes in the air? Get past student status before you start "showing off."

And leave the distractions at home for now, IMO.

I am still not comfortable with anyone coming out to see me jump that does not jump themselves. They ask alot of questions and distract me. I have one friend that comes but she has been there the whole time. She has done one tandem and knows alot about packing and all. We don't really talk while I am jumping. I had a few friends come out on my 100th jump and it made me very nervous! But the jump and landing went well. So, to answer the question.........it may always distract you and they may want to stay home.

Spectators are very distracting! I have found that most AFF students tend to not have them around though which is a good thing. I would suggest that you have people wait to come out and watch you jump till after you know a bit more about what you are doing. At my dz, we keep them far enough away that they aren't a during jump distraction, but still. If you aren't skydiving a dropzone can be a really boring place.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

This type of thing has a couple of flavors.

Basically, it is about becoming too focused on landing in a specified spot because of an external reason.

People get too interested in their landing area, regardless of whether it makes sense.

Someone once asked me why I landed across the taxiway in an empty 5-acre field, instead of the main landing area with the other 40 jumpers. With a little thought, it answers its own question.

At WFFC, people would try to squeeze into the main landing area when there were many, many alternatives.

The problem is the same. For a while, try to land in an area that allows you some extra caution, in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Trying to land in a crowded area, just to impress friends, may push your limits. It's a very unforgiving sport.

Let your friends know that you cannot guarantee that you will land near them. Explain why. They will understand.

A friend once told me, "It's better to walk a long way than to get carried a short way."

MANY people (saw one just a couple weeks ago) get hurt because they're geeking a camera. Saw an AFF student screw a dive because he was geeking a camera that was there to be used as a training tool.
Many people have chowed because they were paying attention to the sidelines rather than to their own business. A few haven't survived.

It'll all come in time. Right now, you have what....three minutes in the air? Get past student status before you start "showing off."

And leave the distractions at home for now, IMO.

The last thing I want to do is become a statistic.

I guess I'm going to have to tell them to please stop showing up there unless I ask them to come.

That sounds kinda bitchy and territorial but I know they love me, so they'll respect my space. ;)

I am still not comfortable with anyone coming out to see me jump that does not jump themselves. They ask alot of questions and distract me. I have one friend that comes but she has been there the whole time. She has done one tandem and knows alot about packing and all. We don't really talk while I am jumping. I had a few friends come out on my 100th jump and it made me very nervous! But the jump and landing went well. So, to answer the question.........it may always distract you and they may want to stay home.

I talked to someone at my DZ (she's a fellow AFF student). I threw this question out and she felt the same way. It's too much pressure having to "babysit" whuffo friends. [:/]

Spectators are very distracting! I have found that most AFF students tend to not have them around though which is a good thing. I would suggest that you have people wait to come out and watch you jump till after you know a bit more about what you are doing. At my dz, we keep them far enough away that they aren't a during jump distraction, but still. If you aren't skydiving a dropzone can be a really boring place.

At my DZ it looks like the majority of the whuffo spectators hang out away from the landing area, but next to the loading area. :P

A friend once told me, "It's better to walk a long way than to get carried a short way."

Isn't that the truth. Our landing area isn't conducive to spectators hanging out, which I totally love. Unless they have a powerful camera lens, they're SOL.

Plus, I stay out of the experienced jumpers way and land far out in the landing area. The last thing I need is to cause someone else to get hurt. I could never forgive myself.

Everyone, thanks so much for your replies. They mean a lot to me. :)

My fourth jump was the first time my girlfriend came to watch me. I made my first stand up landing (no radio either).

Well, there was a radio, but when he said, "Bob, if you can hear me, turn left. Bob? Bob?" I waited for my name to be called. There were a few other AFFers there (Perris Valley can get busy). When I never heard my name, I knew I was on my own and I didn't want to fall in front of my girlfriend. So, I flaired right on time and stood up the landing nice and gently. The instructor came by and said, "What happened, Bob?" I said, "Who the hell is Bob? My name's PETE!"

Tell them to jump or get outta there.

I tried to get them to jump even before I made my first tandem. These big, bag cops are afraid. :D I called them "pussies" and it still didn't work. Oh well, more room on the Otter for me and my cool, new skydiver friends!

Tell them you get a free jump ticket for every referral.