Tuna-Salad

I really suck at skydiving

So some days I can go out with a group and get to them, others it does not matter what I do.. it just does not happen.
Couple of weeks ago I did everything except go into a full track and still could not get to the group. I also find that once I get below them.. I stay there.. no matter how much I try to slow down.. I don't get any further below them but don't get any closer either. Usually by around 8K or so I just say "fuck it" look around for others and seperate from the group.
Really sucks because I feel with the amount of jumps I have .. this should be easy.
I think most will say to get a coach and that is no doubt right. I don't exactly have a surplus of cash lying around for coaches and tunnel time. My legs stay out so I don't think I'm back sliding. I also notice that.. even though I might be moving toward the group it never appears that way. Any suggestions?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

You have just found what a lot of people have found when they get between 50 and 150 jumps.

Take a deep breath, don't sell your gear and don't get mad. Just get a good jumpsuit and good coaching. You don't have to go to the tunnel (although that would be great, if you can afford it). The coach doesn't even need to cost any money. It could simply be a good old-fasioned skydiving mentor. Someone with more jumps (not someone with 100 jumps to your 70) that can help you along.

You'll get through it. Trust me. Skydiving is hard, but don't worry, its nothing 1000 jumps can't fix.:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have over 400 jumps and I still suck. :D You'll find new things to suck at every day at this sport.

Then you'll have those jumps where you'll go up and nail the exit and things will click and you'll get all (or at least some) of the points you planned and you'll get to the ground with a big shit-eating grin on your face and you can't wait to go up and do it again. And maybe the next time it'll all go to hell and you'll wonder how you did it on that one jump. But you'll want to try again ... and again... and again.

This sport is *not* easy, and don't let those fuckers to whom it seems to comes as naturally as falling out of bed try to convince you otherwise. :D:D Just keep plugging away at small jumps, and focus on having fun and learning everything you can about being safe with others in the air (the only concern I had about your post was when you talked about separating at 8K, because leaving before the planned breakoff time is generally considered a bad idea - even if you're low, you want to stay just off to the side of the formation where folks can see you and track off at the planned breakoff time so they know where you are when breakoff time comes around).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Any suggestions?

remeber- the more you put into improving your skills, the more they will improve.

you don't have to spend lots on coaching. you could do 1 or 2 coach jumps then spend your next 5-10 jumps working on what the coach suggest. then go back and do a couple more coach jumps to gauge your improvment.

you can also grab a fellow jumper and ask if they want to do some 2-way drill dives.

i've got tons of tips and info just talking to the more experienced jumpers when the beer light is on.

so ask lots of questions and when people see that you want to learn you'll be surprised at how much help is out there.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

you got there right? you didn't go low. them floaty bastards just didn't have the good etiquette to bring the formation down to you. there is a rule in skydiving that I wish I could enforce on pain of a good ass whoopin. LOW MAN'S BASE DAMN IT!!
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

If you're jumping with people who are roughly as good as you are, make it only one other person. Up the number if htere are more. You'll learn a lot doing 2-ways with one other person. Not as fast as tunnel or coach necessarily, but a whole lot faster than jumping with 5 other people who barely see each other the whole jump.

And yes, I also suck.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This is really a response to eveybody posting so far. It is so nice to see so many others say they suck. I've done a lot of jumps since I started less than a year ago and I, too, suck at RW too often for my liking. Sometimes things are great and then I won't be able to stay with the formation. (It seems almost inevitable if I have to turn more than 180 degrees) I talked with some of my AFF instructors and they strongly suggested two way drills and I am definitely going to follow their recommendations. So, any body have any ideas for drills?
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I think most will say to get a coach and that is no doubt right. I don't exactly have a surplus of cash lying around for coaches and tunnel time. My legs stay out so I don't think I'm back sliding. I also notice that.. even though I might be moving toward the group it never appears that way. Any suggestions?

Only one suggestion:
You might get fewer dives for the same amount of money, but think of it this way; doing one on one coaching jumps with video, will teach you more than failing to get into a formation.;)

blah blah not an instructor yadda yadda few jump numbers. (perhaps I should make this my sig..)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Have a look at http://www.apf.asn.au/...icense_Manual_04.pdf

Some useful drills for improving your RW skills. BTW I suck bigtime, but only at exits, freefall, and canopy flying.

That looks like great info. I wish I had seen it about 100 or so jumps ago. I sorta wish we had something like this. I feel a little like we get our A's and are turned loose to try and figure out how to do RW by trial and error. Our coach program is designed to help a student make the transitition for AFF to the A license and doesn't really help with learning RW skills. I jump with some great people at Star and I know that if I am prepared with what will help me improve, they will work with me. Thanks,
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I jumped 22 times in 4 days at skyfest. A whole lot of my "suck" was left behind in South Carolina. (Why doesn't that sound right?) When you jump that much in that short of a time period, your body makes the adjustments and it just starts clicking. I guess the same is true with tunnel time.

So like others have said, get a coach, do more two ways where you just concentrate on the skill you're trying to develope, and jump a shit load in a small amount of time :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I read you post and think, "That could be me." I have similar jump numbers and just passed a year in the sport, last week. I keep dreaming, someday. I have never completed a whole RW plan and consider it a success to actually look my partner in the eyes at some point in the jump.

A new suit (slow) and more jumps is my plan.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

What kind of jumpsuit are you using? I am curious because I am a fast faller. I weigh a lot for my surface area. I went low almost all of the time, and what fixed it for me was the right jumpsuit. Get a baggy fitting suit made of material with a lot of drag. If you find you are going low all the time, that might mean you are a fast faller.

It is a lot easier to pick up speed than it is to slow down. The right suit as a tool can help.

It also sounds like you could benefit from booties on your RW suit. Do you have those? The larger booties can really add a lot of drive to your forward motion when you point your toes out. It was like a miracle the first time I used a suit that had them.

Also nailing the exit is really important. It is easier to stay close than it is to have to fly to the formation after a lot of separation.

Also, keep your eyes on the formation and if you see any kind of separation, react instantly, but react slowly. This will minimize the separation and/or over-reaction.

I have a tonysuit swoop suit that is very baggy. I'm 250 even out the door and have an average fall rate of 137 mph. (the natural arch coupled with actually arching cannot be good)

I can say confidently that my exits are near perfect.. during my first 50 jumps I stressed heavily on my exits being bad and spinning etc..

Now I'm able to look at the group before me and turn myself around to look at the group behind me still on the plane while on the hill. (in short I have directional control on the hill and I hear that is good)

The problem is - I'm jumping with someone that.. to be honest has no idea what he is doing and does not help much during 2 way RW dives.... based on video I've seen.. he goes out.. gets stable and just falls.. it is up to me to get to him. (Or it feels that way)
I am posting a video here.. some of you may of seen. I'm wearing the blue / black jumpsuit.. so you have an idea of my body position and the person I've done most of my jumps with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yKHipRYr8U
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Some great replies here, and a few good laughs to boot.

The best things that happened to me as a student:

1 - Hooking up with experienced jumpers whenever offerred. (Don't ever say "Naw, I don't wanna screw up your dive, I'll just go solo." When they offer - - YOU GO!) I can't believe it when I offer to jump with a new person and they say no. Then buy some beer to share and listen to everything they have to say. I know, been said lots before, but still worth repeating.

2 - Identify who is in your skill level/jump number range and coming out regularly. (Very important that they are at least somewhat regular). Start jumping together, no more than 4-ways, and get video once in a while. I had a blast once I connected with a few others in my skill group. At first we were just thrilled to nail exits, and it just kept getting better.

Funny, the other 4 or 5 have disappeared; but we had a good time and learned a lot by screwing up each other's dives on a regular basis.

LOL on the everybody sucks comments.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

stop whining. You didn't bother to get your license until you had 70 freakin jumps. The only reason you even got it was Because I called your ass out and wouldn't allow you to do what you were out trying to do. Skydiving takes time, effort, money and most of all dedication. You can pick any three............

As far as your buddy goes, he's at the same level as you are. It's tough to learn from someone who only knows the same stuff as you. Neither of you have gotten any coaching beyond the required jumps for your A license. How can expect to get any better if neither one of you knows anything?

On a related note, your attitude towards the people who do try to teach you anything sucks. Sometimes it's best to shut up and listen.

One more thing, if you came to the DZ for sympathy you came to the wrong place. You'll find it between shit and syphillus in the dictionary...........
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!