noahgordon

grommits behind the 3 rings should touch?

rented so gear this weekend from a dz that was new to me. i did a gear check, i was tought that the grommits behind the 3 rings should be touching. these were not, they were hanging out like 3/4"! i asked my coach and he said it was fine, no big deal, the jump went fine but i wanted to ask about that. aslo there was no rsl, so no grommits there.

When you say gromments do you mean the grommet in the riser for the loop's passage and the housing with the grommet for the cutaway cable (also that the loop passes through)?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yea the loop passes through it for cutaway, that one. no i do not yet have my a, and i am sure there was no rsl cause when i checked the reserve pin i checked to see that i could move the wire that leads to the cutaway handle freely and there was not a ring inthe middle of the other 2 and no rsl. i was fine w/ that though.

First off the reserve pin cable does not go to the cutaway handle. It goes to the reserve ripcord handle. If the rig is a Single Operations System (SOS) the cutaway cables (yellow usually, may be red) may also go to the reserve ripcord handle. Depending on the type of rig you may not see the guide rings for a RSL. Some are up by your neck on the yolk underneath the riser covers. Get an instructor or rigger to go over the particular features of any rig you end up jumping.

Still unsure what grommets you mean. The gromment through the electrical terminal on the end of the cutaway cable housings doesn't necessarily touch anything. Or if you mean the gromment set into the webbing of the riser, I don't know what you want it to touch.

I suggest you get an instructor or rigger to go over the assembly and function of both the 3 ring release and the type of RSL's (if present) on the gear your using.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think what he's trying to say is that the cotton loop in the 3 ring assembly is longer than in the other rigs he's used, and the gromet at the end of the cuttaway housing sits off to the side of the riser when not under load, which would be normal. Not sure, though.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The S&TA can waive the RSL.

Sorry, Dave, an S&TA cannot waive the RSL requirement unless she is also the supervising instructor. It is a FB (full board) waiver except when a supervising instructor endorses a particular student, cleared for self-supervision, for one or multiple jumps without an RSL.

It is technically possible for an I to endorse 'no-RSL' for a student cleared for self- supervision without an S&TA's approval or FB waiver. This is a major weakness in the two exemptions of that part of the BSRs.

The jumper in question mentioned 'coach'. It may be semantics or that a 'coach' actually gave this endorsement, hopefully in writing, or the DZ has some standing endorsement for all self-supervision students, hopefully in writing, or has a FB waiver. Waivers must be renewed annually. None have come through for this BSR for +2 years, if ever, except for the original Square1 request.

I do not like this part of the BSRs. It should have been left as a FB waiver without any exemptions. Search on 'Square1 BSR' FMI.

It strikes me as unusual that an Instructor that had never jumped with this student would have give such an endorsement.

It strikes me as a BSR violation if a Coach gave such an endorsement.

It may be that the rig actually did have an RSL and Noah did not realize that.

Check your SIM, all the info is in there.

This is correct.

i am sure there was no rsl cause when i checked the reserve pin i checked to see that i could move the wire that leads to the cutaway handle freely and there was not a ring inthe middle of the other 2 and no rsl. i was fine w/ that though.

It is unclear if you were jumping an SOS system or not. An SOS system has one handle on the left main lift webbing [MLW] that pulls both the cutaway and reserve.

Or did your rig have a handle on the right MLW for the cutaway and a handle on the left MLW for the reserve?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Sorry, Dave, an S&TA cannot waive the RSL requirement unless she is also the supervising instructor. It is a FB (full board) waiver except when a supervising instructor endorses a particular student, cleared for self-supervision, for one or multiple jumps without an RSL.

It is technically possible for an I to endorse 'no-RSL' for a student cleared for self- supervision without an S&TA's approval or FB waiver. This is a major weakness in the two exemptions of that part of the BSRs.

Ah, ok, I misunderstood what I had read then. Thank you very much for correcting me. I apparently misunderstood an I's ability to endorse a no-RSL jump for a self-supervision student.

"Now I know, and knowing is half the battle...";)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

and i am sure there was no rsl .....and there was not a ring inthe middle of the other 2 and no rsl........i was fine w/ that though.

Scary........as long as YOU were fine with it? Until you have a license you are the responsibility of the DZ/Instructors...

They should *not* be touching.

There is a certain amount of slack designed into the system to allow the riser to stretch during opening shock. If the grommets were touching, there would be no slack and as the riser streched during opening chock, the Type 2A nylon cord ( the white loop) could pull the yellow cable into the grommet and kink it.

That could be bad if the main malfunctions and a cutaway becomes necessary.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Still unsure what grommets you mean. The gromment through the electrical terminal on the end of the cutaway cable housings doesn't necessarily touch anything. Or if you mean the gromment set into the webbing of the riser, I don't know what you want it to touch.

They should *not* be touching.

When a rig is packed and in a no-load configuration the relative positions of the terminal housing cable grommet and the riser grommet can take on any number of relative positions that are all quite safe and correct. The twist tension from the cable housing, riser covers, etc may make some terminal ends stand out away from the riser grommet. On other rigs they may be flushed together [there should be slack in the loop in this case]. Under the no-load configuration, it does not matter. The routing of the loop does of course matter!

Under loaded conditions, ie under canopy, the three rings should be parallel to each other and parallel to the riser below the confluence point. This is where the loop length comes into play. The grommets do touch under a loaded configuration. The common point is the top of the grommet. There can be some offset (side to side) induced by housing tension.

Maybe I should scan the picture from the Three-ring riser Construction manual that I am looking at?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker